Anyone familiar w/ buying flies on internet?

noclue

noclue

Looking to save money on flies. Does anyone have any good sites where flies are decently priced. Tired of paying $2 and up for flies at the shops. I looked ito some sites and see flies for .50 cents and up but the is sometimes a minimum size order of a dozen or more. Interested in tying ounce I learn how to fly fish and start catching some fish. Thanks ahead of time for any input!!

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6189&forum=5&post_id=62673#forumpost62673
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6004&forum=3&post_id=58095#forumpost58095
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4325&forum=3&post_id=41204#forumpost41204

These are usually under the tying header but if you search "flies online" you'll get a ton...

I have had good luck with 2 online retailers. In fact, I get most of my flies from them. They are

Big Y Fly and FlyStop

The FlyStop
Big Y Fly

both are very easy to deal with, have fair priced, quality flies.

I'll second theflystop.

You get so much more than just flies if you patronize your local fly shop. I'm not talking material i'm talking information and knowledge , not against buying flies off the net but in the end i think the value of going to your local shop far outweighs the savings of buying off the net.

osprey wrote:
You get so much more than just flies if you patronize your local fly shop. I'm not talking material i'm talking information and knowledge , not against buying flies off the net but in the end i think the value of going to your local shop far outweighs the savings of buying off the net.

I buy all my flies online, although I do patronize the fly shops for other gear/supplies. I just can't see spending $2 for a fly that I can get online for $.50, especially when flies are just as good quality-wise, if not better, than the same ones found in a shop.

I use to buy from BlueFlyCafe.com, not to patronize either. I just went to their website and it got a make over, as well as there flys they sell I don't know what BFX is though?

I'll second Blue Fly Cafe and Big Y and fourth Fly Stop (my favorite.)

Thanks for the info, Just bought 98 flies for $54 from Fly Stop. And free shipping to boot!!

A buddy of mine offered to give me like 50 flies and they were all in the size 20's they had to be they were copper jons, hares ear, pheasant tail, and prince nymph beadheads. Was I wrong not to take him up on this offer?

He doesnt fly fish at all he found it it looks old and I might take him up on that offer on monday

Dear noclue,

I've bought several times from Ligas Discount Flies and have always been pleased with what I received.

http://www.ligasflies.com/

I'm not really all that old but I am most certainly a fart. I don't always seek out the absolutely best deal believing that quality doesn't cost but rather it pays.

Ligas offers top quality stuff, especially if you want some Western flies to confuse and entice some Eastern trout.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I think he is like me tim and dont want to buy half a dozen flies just maybe 2-3

You said your friend doesn't fish , that he found them , that is different from turning down flys offered by a fly tier , the ultimate insult is to turn down a fly offered to you by another fly fisherman , to me it's just wrong , in the case of your friend though i'd take him up on it. Even if you tie your own and have a million of em and the one you being offered looks like a bad hair day respect is a two way street. Had to say that.

I use Ebay only. My favorite sellers are Craig61648 out of Oregon and Texperd out of Texas. Both have innovative patterns that are well tied. Texperd is more for bass and Craig61648 is more for trout including his own Klinkhamer paterns as low as $0.60 each after postage. You can bid or buy direct without the hastle. Both have postage discounts for multiple purchase. One week for delivery on average. I'll never buy retail again.
Good Luck

Well I understand I might go out to the little j again today and he lives like 1 min from the little j and I would never turn down flies from a fellow fly fisherman if he wants to give me some then I will gladly accept it. BUt the flies are all realy small can something that small actually catch fish. They are about 1/4-5/16 inches long they are pretty small smaller than anything I got.

Here is the fly box and flies I was telling you about. Some have rust and some dont.

Dear chetty,

Those Prince nymphs will work for the Isonychia or Slate Drake nymph. They are the ones with the swept back white overwings on them. Slate Drakes will hatch off and on from now until the fall especially on overcast drizzly days, or just before dark on nicer days.

The copper johns will work too. I'll bet every fly in that box will catch a fish or two if you give them some time. For years I used to fish size 18 and 20 nymphs and hammer fish but now I have such a hard time dealing with tying them on that I just don't bother with that small stuff much. It definitely works though!

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back