Amazing How Pennsylvania is a major fly design contributor

L

Lonewolve

Henryville Special: Hiram Brobst {Red Floss }Ernest Scwiebert{ green or olive} designed originally for the Broadhead Creek to match the Taenioptergidae stones of early spring and some of the brown bodied caddisflies and then Earnie changed the body color to what most folks consider is the henryville according to Ernie

Elk Hair Caddis: Al Troth ..designed for the Loyalsock Creek

Midge pupa: Ed Koch

Al's Rat: Al Miller and **** Miller Lil Lehigh

Terrestrials,our state started it ,
Letort Hopper,Letort Cricket: Ed Shenk ...Letort
Jassid: Vince Marinaro ......Letort
Crowe Beetle: John Crowe Johnstown Pa
Mcmurray Ant: Ed Sutryn Mcmurray Pa

Streamers
Clouser Minnow,Half & Half,Crppled Minnow: Bob Clouser Middletown Pa
Wooly Bugger: Russel Blessing Lancaster Pa

Crayfish:
Clouser Crayfish: Bob Clouser... Middletown pa best crayfish pattern for smallies i ever used.
Sowbugs
Roth Sowbug: Dave Rothrock Avis pa..deadly consequences for all trout

Sucker Spawn & Crystal Meth.... Erie favorites

Nymphs..Isonnychia: Dave Rothrock Avis Pa best nymph for this hatch
Thorax Dun: Vince Marinaro one if not the best flat wayer fly a drift could use.
well time for bed i work 3rds,maybe some of you guys can name more flys that have their roots in our state.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Without even exercising a neuron, the green weenie and flymph.

The Zug Bug - Cliff Zug.

If you really want to go into this, Catskill dry fly pioneer Theodore Gordon, though most famed for the work he did while living in the Catskills of New York, a move which was an attempt to remedy the Tuberculosis that was slowly killing him, was originally a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

It's all these finiky trout we have that require new and inovative patterns.

Russ Blessing was from Harrisburg and a member of Doc Fritchey TU

I don't know the exact name, but Rick Meyers (Pottstown native, I think) desighed a sulpher nymph to imitate the stage when it was just about to burst. It has a dark wing pad with yellow showing in betwen the black ostrich. He developed the pattern after studying nymphs from Young Womans Creek. I usually tie it one size bigger than the adult and slightly weighted, as I like to fish it under the dry.

Hey Rick. Really good post. Some of these I knew of, but some were new to me. I'm always learning. I recognize your screen name from over on our favorite 2 handed casting forum. Its good to be back on the PA board.

Kenny Schramms, Do Nothing Fly ( which was stolen and renamed the Gurgler by a certain person)

Turkey: pleasure to meet you here as well, I love using my Trout Spey, and our other forum is the place for all things and flies two handed.You ever want to get together and wet a line give me a lil notice .
Sand: It was very sad when i heard of Ken Schwamm passing ,we had made plans to get together and fish that spring.He was an incredible spun deer hair/Bass fly artist, as well as a genuine great guy would share anything about this sport .
Rick Wallace
P.S. sorry bout Russell Blessing location but thats where i was told hes from.It's close though and in Pennsylvania.I also thought that the gurgler was brought about by Jack Gartside.

jack stole it from Kenny, we had been fishing that pattern since the late 70's. Kenny named it the Do Nothing cause all you had to do was cast it out and it would do the rest. he showed to jack and bam jack renamed it and said in invented it. Kenny confronted him at a show one time to make his point. there are a lot of us who knew Kenny ( i knew him from 1970 when we met on the LL. one day)

Sand,
no disrespect towards you , I always enjoy your posts,hope to get up towards your shop as long as gas dont hit 5.00 a gallon.Kenny was a jem.
The two single most important mentors where it concerns my flytying are Jack Gartside and Dave Rothrock. words cannot express my utmost gratitude towards them ,my flies were good but not like they are today.I took a class at the Lil Lehigh Flyshop in 95 or 96,it was a class with Jack Gartside for two days price was 50-75 dollars i think lunch included,we leared about proportions ,material handling,tricks for various tying procedures and tied trout and a few saltwater flies.
I met Dave Rothrock through Fred Reese,when Fred was still running his shop in his bi level in Jersey Shore.I got a Fred Reese Trout shop catalog in the mail,I ordered a bunch of material from him.A month or so later i was out at his shop and asked him about several guides he had named in his catalog.Dave Rothrock happened to be one of them and Fred recommended him.
So when i came home that weekend i called Dave and asked about what instruction i was looking for{nymphing}.I also asked about some tying instruction.He also cleared up my nymphing with indicators as well as helped immensely with my tying techniques.Thank you dave if you read this.
Rick Wallace

Lonewolve wrote:
Turkey: pleasure to meet you here as well, I love using my Trout Spey, and our other forum is the place for all things and flies two handed.You ever want to get together and wet a line give me a lil notice .

Rick, I would love to get a chance to fish with you...I'm not sure but I think we live on opposite sides of the commonwealth. I've been known to blow off work for a chance at any salmonids, so keep me posted if you want to go. I will be going to the PAFF Jamboree as well.

Sandfly! you probably don't remember me but I was at Big Meadow last August...I got skunked at Slate....I got skunked on Pine...you recommended Asaph Run and it may have been one of the best looking streams I've ever seen...and I scared every brookie outta there for miles. Nice to get re-acquainted with you via the forum.

-Jeff (never caught a fish in Potter, Tioga, etc...next time!)

Jeff{turkey}
we could meet in the middle and fish central pa sometime.
Rick Wallace

Back