7-8 wt reel advice

D

DEPete53

Hey guys (and gals), I know there is a wealth of experience around this forum so I am looking for some advice on a decent 7-8 wt reel for a reasonable price. I can go more but I would like to stay under $100. Here is all the pertinent info. All of my fly fishing has been for trout up till now and with the low warm water in my area this summer I figured I better take up some warm water fly slingin or I won't get any fishing in in a couple of years if weather patterns continue. Anyway, I prefer to fish smaller streams and wade only; don't have a boat, kayak, float tube, etc and likely never will. In my area I fish the Quittie, Manada, Clark, the Tully, Middle Creek and some even smaller. I have fished the Little J once and that is about as big as any water I am likely to fish for bass or trout. Recently I bought the 7'6" 7-8 wt CGR at Cabelas (couldn't pass it up on sale at $ 64.95!) to try my hand at small stream SMB fishing. What reel would any of you recommend to go with this rod and fishing situations I plan to use it in? Cabelas had their Prestige Premiere on sale for half price at $ 45.99 and I was going to pick that up when I picked up the rod but it went off sale that very day! I am thinking that since I am fishing smaller streams I am less likely to catch big fish for which I will need a super duper disc drag but will need at least some level disc. Am I correct?
And finally (I know this is long, hope someone is still reading!) any recommendations on wadeable SMB streams in the Lebanon/Lancaster area?

Thank you all

Try the Orvis Clearwater, I've never personally used one, but I've heard good things. Its a large arbor and the 7-9 model runs around 100 bucks

You picked up a very nice rod in the CGR. I fish a lot of glass and it's a nice one especially at that price.

I would recommend and Orvis Battenkill. Even on my 6/7 wt rods I rarely use the drag. Just my finger hold on the line and maybe, maybe palming the reel a little. It would also balance the rod nicely.

I have several and they are great reel for the money. Old school click and pawl.

One for a 7-8 wt would be about $119 if I remember correctly and way better quality than the Clearwater.

The Orvis Outlet in Lancaster at Rockvale Outlets usually has some good deals. They typically have some Battenkills. Haven't looked on the price on them recently, but wouldn't be too far from you based on your profile location.

X2 on Orvis outlet or Clearwater. I have one and it rocks

I highly suggest you go after the Redington Crosswater fly reel. It comes with loaded fly line and backing even for $59.95. I have one myself on my 7 weight fenwick rod and I love it.

PATroutMan wrote:
I highly suggest you go after the Redington Crosswater fly reel. It comes with loaded fly line and backing even for $59.95. I have one myself on my 7 weight fenwick rod and I love it.

You can get a lot more reel than that for the OP's $100 budget.

A little diligence searching the web for closeouts and deals will bag a machined aluminum reel for about the same price. Sure you might not get a line, but you're going to get a heck of a better reel.

Kev

I have the LL Bean Steamlite Ultra sized for 5/6 line and I've been very happy with it. Machined Alum, large arbor, and a good drag. The model sized for 7 to 9 line is $109.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68709?feat=1111-GN2&page=streamlight-ultra-large-arbor-fly-reel

If you can swing the extra $50 TCO has the Lamson Waterworks Guru 3.5 Rated 7-9 for $149.00

I have one and a Clearwater. I love them both. I use the Guru is mostly for Salmon/Steelhead and Stipers.

Clearwater for bass and pike.

Good luck.

Back