2023 Carpin’ Thread

dc410

dc410

I can’t believe I’m actually starting up this years Carpin’ thread in February but I’m going with the pitch that Mother Nature is throwing us. When I caught my first carp this year on February 8th I classified it as a “one off”, but after hitting one of my carp spots this morning I actually think the Carpin’ season is getting into gear. The buds on the Red Maple trees certainly aren’t looking like February 21st and the carp aren’t acting like it either. I actually had four legitimate shots at carp this morning that were up into shallower water already. Some fish were mudding (head down, tail up with a mud cloud flowing!) I only managed to get one fish to eat my fly this morning but it was a solid 32” mirror carp which are always a lot of fun.

Over the past number of years I’ve annually started up this thread for PAFF carpers or wanna be carpers. Some years it gains a lot of momentum… other years not so much. The thread is meant to be fun and informative where we can all share successes and failures, productive techniques and carp patterns with each other. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions because I’ve always enjoyed sharing many of the things I have learned by trial and error over the past 10 years of chasing carp on the fly. Get out there in this beautiful weather and start locating some carp, they are starting to move. Tight lines and screamin’ reels!

06D8516C 982D 45A0 B4B7 479FC35DDA7C
42CCD893 C025 4D07 A293 C553B9F1967A

I've got some huge carp I have been targeting in a local stream but I never seem to catch them when they are hungry. Do you guys C&R these things? It seems like since they moved in the panfish have been more scarce. Was thinking about feeding the carp to my dogs or my cucumbers.

I have practiced C&R on every carp that I have caught on the fly. I used to bowfish for them and killed a lot of carp. In the past 10 years I have found it to be so much more fun catching them on a fly rod as opposed to sticking them with an arrow and stuffing them down muskrat holes.

The big carp may be eating the yearling panfish. They do occasionally exhibit a predatory nature. The Clouser Foxee Redd Minnow is a really good carp pattern.

Well, being mid March it’s time to get out there and locate some carp. Is anybody finding any yet? I was planning on going out today and doing some scarping (scouting for carp), but with the amount of wind we had today I thought it would be kind of unproductive. Instead I spent some time getting my carpin’ gear organized and spinning up some carp bugs for the carp box.

Going back through my notes over the past 10 years of chasing carp on the fly I came up with my top six carp flies that I caught over 80% of my carp on the fly over the years.

AF90A150 EF9A 49EF 9D45 E758CFB23C35

The top three patterns (from left to right) have definitely been the breadwinners for sure. My PMC nymph (Pheasant-Mink-Crow), my Deer Hair Mulberry fly (what a freakin’ blast!), and the bead chain eye Sparrow Nymph (Gartside’s pattern tied as a carp fly). The bottom three certainly were very productive patterns for me as well (from left to right), Montana’s Hybrid carp fly, Soft boiled egg and the Siltsifter pattern.

Carpin’ season is on the doorstep. Get after ‘em!!

love carping with fly rods! the fight is amazing. i specifically target carp on about 10 outings per year. i normally catch one carp on each outing. its a lot of fun on fly gear. i would rather catch a 20 lb carp then 4" brookie lol.

That Mulberry fly is very creative. I've heard they will gorge themselves on those when the time is right.
Thanks, I’ve spent a number of years trying to dial in that pattern. It’s all about the amount of “splat” that it makes when it hits the surface as well as being weighted just right so it rides in the surface film just like a natural mulberry does. It does make a difference. Carp are really very smart!

love carping with fly rods! the fight is amazing. i specifically target carp on about 10 outings per year. i normally catch one carp on each outing. its a lot of fun on fly gear. i would rather catch a 20 lb carp then 4" brookie lol.
Awesome, Kyle! I look forward to you being a regular contributor to the 2023 Carpin’ thread. If we all share our experiences it can be a lot of fun. Tight lines and screamin’ reels!

@dc410 those are some incredibly good looking ties! The mulberry fly is neat, I have never seen one of those before.

I may attempt some carping this year as I have yet to catch one. I can't say my reports will be glamorous, they will probably consist of me getting skunked by these wary fish, giving up and going for panfish to boost my self-esteem, but I'll give it a go, if for no other reason than to fish streamers more.

Carp fishing is truly fascinating, and the wary behavior of these fish is almost sentient! I know a guy who wears camo when carping.

Thanks, I’ve spent a number of years trying to dial in that pattern. It’s all about the amount of “splat” that it makes when it hits the surface as well as being weighted just right so it rides in the surface film just like a natural mulberry does. It does make a difference. Carp are really very smart!

I remember having a pretty funny conversation with Bob Clouser once at his shop. He was telling us how the rate of fall in the water of a "corn fly" pattern was key to getting trout (and maybe carp) to take your offering.

I targeted carp a few times but my only success was a LONG time ago on the Delaware River. Maybe it's time to work at it again but then again...

...they may be too smart for me. ;)

Any tips on scouting locations? Do I just walk around and look for carp tailing or thrashing around doing crazy mating dances and then go back when they've calmed down to try to catch them? Is there a season / time of day they are most likely to be engaged in activities that will reveal they are present?

I have a few spots in mind and I've gotten some random tips (from people that don't really fish) on where they are in the area, but I don't yet have a confirmed population to target so I can get to the hard part of catching them.

@dc410 those are some incredibly good looking ties! The mulberry fly is neat, I have never seen one of those before.

I may attempt some carping this year as I have yet to catch one. I can't say my reports will be glamorous, they will probably consist of me getting skunked by these wary fish, giving up and going for panfish to boost my self-esteem, but I'll give it a go, if for no other reason than to fish streamers more.

Carp fishing is truly fascinating, and the wary behavior of these fish is almost sentient! I know a guy who wears camo when carping.
Go for it! You have to get your fly into the “zone” of a feeding carp without it knowing you are there. If you find a way to accomplish that, you’re in the game because they will probably eat it!!

I remember having a pretty funny conversation with Bob Clouser once at his shop. He was telling us how the rate of fall in the water of a "corn fly" pattern was key to getting trout (and maybe carp) to take your offering.

I targeted carp a few times but my only success was a LONG time ago on the Delaware River. Maybe it's time to work at it again but then again...

...they may be too smart for me. ;)
They are smart but you can consistently hook up with them on the fly if you put your time in. I feel like I work my butt off for every carp I catch on the fly but I think that is why I get so much enjoyment out of carpin’. It’s a serious adrenaline rush every time you stick one!

Any tips on scouting locations? Do I just walk around and look for carp tailing or thrashing around doing crazy mating dances and then go back when they've calmed down to try to catch them? Is there a season / time of day they are most likely to be engaged in activities that will reveal they are present?

I have a few spots in mind and I've gotten some random tips (from people that don't really fish) on where they are in the area, but I don't yet have a confirmed population to target so I can get to the hard part of catching them.
I don’t know where you are from, but I’d recommend targeting local warmwater creeks or shallow weedy areas of ponds known to have carp populations. Look for minor disturbances in the surface film, nervous water, tails or fins, bubbles and mud clouds. This will either be a feeding carp or a snapping turtle 99% or the time. There are subtle differences in the disturbances made by a carp vs a turtle and with experience you’ll be able to detect these differences. Be stealthy, move slowly in a very light footed manner. You will soon locate areas where carp prefer to hang out and feed. It’s a whole lot of fun. Stick a few of them and you’ll be hooked. Good luck and let us know how you’re making out. If you have any other questions, throw them out there. Always stay open minded and ready to learn something new. Tight lines!!

Well, being mid March it’s time to get out there and locate some carp. Is anybody finding any yet? I was planning on going out today and doing some scarping (scouting for carp), but with the amount of wind we had today I thought it would be kind of unproductive. Instead I spent some time getting my carpin’ gear organized and spinning up some carp bugs for the carp box.

Going back through my notes over the past 10 years of chasing carp on the fly I came up with my top six carp flies that I caught over 80% of my carp on the fly over the years.

View attachment 1641229291

The top three patterns (from left to right) have definitely been the breadwinners for sure. My PMC nymph (Pheasant-Mink-Crow), my Deer Hair Mulberry fly (what a freakin’ blast!), and the bead chain eye Sparrow Nymph (Gartside’s pattern tied as a carp fly). The bottom three certainly were very productive patterns for me as well (from left to right), Montana’s Hybrid carp fly, Soft boiled egg and the Siltsifter pattern.

Carpin’ season is on the doorstep. Get after ‘em!!
Love the mulberry fly! I know a couple spots on the Perkiomen Creek with mulberry trees that I have witnessed carp devouring them. Carp fishing is something I’ve been wanting to do. Gonna go out soon and give it a try.

Shawn

I remember one time many years ago, me and a friend were fishing a section (forget where) of the Susky for smallies, when we saw a bunch of carp (at least 20-30 of them) trying to get upstream in very shallow water. They had the water boiling because of their numbers and the shallowness of the water. I'm guessing the were spawning? Anyway, we tried to net one of them with a long handled aluminum net.

It didn't go very well, as these were BIG carp (10lb+), and the very first one tore the net portion right off of the handle and swam away. It actually tore through the net also. These are some amazingly strong fish! :D

Love the mulberry fly! I know a couple spots on the Perkiomen Creek with mulberry trees that I have witnessed carp devouring them. Carp fishing is something I’ve been wanting to do. Gonna go out soon and give it a try.

Shawn
You’re in a great area, Shawn! The Perk and Green Lane Reservoir have a great carp population. I wish I lived closer to it or headed that direction more often. It’s the perfect turf for you to develop your carpin’ skills. Get out there and figure ‘em out! Talk is cheap in the Carpin’ game. Welcome to the PAFF forum. I’m looking forward to you being a regular member on the Carpin’ thread. Tight lines and screamin’ reels!!

I remember one time many years ago, me and a friend were fishing a section (forget where) of the Susky for smallies, when we saw a bunch of carp (at least 20-30 of them) trying to get upstream in very shallow water. They had the water boiling because of their numbers and the shallowness of the water. I'm guessing the were spawning? Anyway, we tried to net one of them with a long handled aluminum net.

It didn't go very well, as these were BIG carp (10lb+), and the very first one tore the net portion right off of the handle and swam away. It actually tore through the net also. These are some amazingly strong fish! :D
They are unbelievably fun on a fly rod!

Anytime you see carp chasing each other around and thrashing around in shallow water it is more than likely spawning activity. The females are actually depositing multitudes of eggs as they are flopping around. The smaller males follow them around as closely as possible spewing milt in the area to fertilize the eggs. The eggs often attach to vegetation in shallow water areas and develop very quickly.

You’re in a great area, Shawn! The Perk and Green Lane Reservoir have a great carp population. I wish I lived closer to it or headed that direction more often. It’s the perfect turf for you to develop your carpin’ skills. Get out there and figure ‘em out! Talk is cheap in the Carpin’ game. Welcome to the PAFF forum. I’m looking forward to you being a regular member on the Carpin’ thread. Tight lines and screamin’ reels!!
Yeah buddy! I’m ready to go! I have everything I need. Just need to get out there.

It's been a long time ago, but as a kid, I used to fish the Delaware Canal inside Delaware Canal State Park. I remember starting at a Lock there and work my way downstream. It was littered with carp and was a blast. When I got tired of the canal, I'd just walk down to the Delaware River and toss lures for nice smallies. I don't know how the canal fishes these days but if it isn't too far from you, I'd give it a go.

Back