2023 Carpin’ Thread

@mt_flyfisher i used to live right near there. I miss that area.
I was born in Warren, PA and lived there until I was 14 years old. During that time I spent many days fishing on the Allegheny River and the Conewango Creek, both of which had a large carp population, which I caught periodically.

Any one ever fish for carp out west?

Practically every day, I get short video feeds on Facebook from Ryan Mock and his Carp on the Fly. If you’re interested in carp fishing, and haven’t seen anything that he produces, you might be interested in seeing some of his productions. He is also on Facebook.

Practically every day, I get short video feeds on Facebook from Ryan Mock and his Carp on the Fly. If you’re interested in carp fishing, and haven’t seen anything that he produces, you might be interested in seeing some of his productions. He is also on Facebook.

Thanks for the link to his website. I’ll definitely be checking it out.

Watched a couple of his tutorial videos. I subscribed! He knows his stuff. Thanks for sharing,

The Tully below blue marsh had a decent population of carp at one time, I used to love them on Caddis

My son got this using our 8 wt on a Lancaster Co. stream about a month ago. We watch for them kicking up clouds of mud and carefully cast where they are headed or a bit to side. Most challenging fish I have ever gone after with flies.

Attachments

• 120398455_825520654886981_6922420266754715759_n.jpg
    120398455_825520654886981_6922420266754715759_n.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 32
My son got this using our 8 wt on a Lancaster Co. stream about a month ago. We watch for them kicking up clouds of mud and carefully cast where they are headed or a bit to side. Most challenging fish I have ever gone after with flies.
Really nice fish! They are very challenging indeed. I think that’s what keeps me going in the carpin’ game.

Really nice fish! They are very challenging indeed. I think that’s what keeps me going in the carpin’ game.
I agree. Sight fishing is always exciting. Its more like hunting deer. You have to stalk them and plan when to make the cast. We spook them more often than not. We are new to this but since there are so many opportunities locally could imagine really getting into it more.

We are new to this but since there are so many opportunities locally could imagine really getting into it more.
That’s great to hear. We are always in need of some new PAFF carpers!

I’m at the point where my carping season is wrapping up as my focus turns to bowhunting when I tear September off of the calendar.

I was out last Saturday for carp but never even took a shot at one. I actually think they were involved in a second wave of spawning activity for the season, which really isn’t uncommon but I definitely don’t see it every year.

This thread has been a lot of fun for me this year. I had the opportunity to chat with many forum members who definitely expressed interest or had questions about flyfishing for carp. The thread has been active for over 7 months with 9 pages of posts and over 9,000 views and it very rarely gets off track. I really enjoy sharing stories, tips, fly patterns and other “carpisms” that I’ve learned over the past 13 years of chasing carp with the flyrod.

My 2023 carpin’ season was good. I managed to bring 31 carp to the net, but the highlight of the year was definitely the “berry hatch” which lasted about 5 weeks in my area and I was fortunate enough to catch 15 carp on berry flies this year (most of them on topwater). It was definitely the most productive berry season I’ve had since I started carpin’.

Certainly feel free to keep this thread active but I will start up a new 2024 Carpin’ thread early next year - unless another PAFF carper beats me to it. If that’s the case - that’s awesome! I very much look forward to participating and promoting flyfishing for carp within the PAFF community. Tight lines and screamin’ reels, Carpers!!

That’s great to hear. We are always in need of some new PAFF carpers!

I’m at the point where my carping season is wrapping up as my focus turns to bowhunting when I tear September off of the calendar.

I was out last Saturday for carp but never even took a shot at one. I actually think they were involved in a second wave of spawning activity for the season, which really isn’t uncommon but I definitely don’t see it every year.

This thread has been a lot of fun for me this year. I had the opportunity to chat with many forum members who definitely expressed interest or had questions about flyfishing for carp. The thread has been active for over 7 months with 9 pages of posts and over 9,000 views and it very rarely gets off track. I really enjoy sharing stories, tips, fly patterns and other “carpisms” that I’ve learned over the past 13 years of chasing carp with the flyrod.

My 2023 carpin’ season was good. I managed to bring 31 carp to the net, but the highlight of the year was definitely the “berry hatch” which lasted about 5 weeks in my area and I was fortunate enough to catch 15 carp on berry flies this year (most of them on topwater). It was definitely the most productive berry season I’ve had since I started carpin’.

Certainly feel free to keep this thread active but I will start up a new 2024 Carpin’ thread early next year - unless another PAFF carper beats me to it. If that’s the case - that’s awesome! I very much look forward to participating and promoting flyfishing for carp within the PAFF community. Tight lines and screamin’ reels, Carpers!!
This thread definitely motivated quite a few early morning carping attempts this year! Thanks!
Do they stop biting as the weather gets cooler or is just a personal preference for you to stop fishing for them around this time of year?

This thread definitely motivated quite a few early morning carping attempts this year! Thanks!
Do they stop biting as the weather gets cooler or is just a personal preference for you to stop fishing for them around this time of year?
Thanks, Beweav, I appreciate your interest and input into the thread this year!

I think they always need to eat, but as the water temperatures start to decrease they move into deeper water and actually locating them in those conditions is next to impossible in the areas that I target them. Some guys catch them all year round with snow on the banks. I never was able to figure that out in the area that I call home base.

Back