2016 North Central PA Summit 9/30-10/2

This autumn has gotten really busy. I guess I'm at the point in life when a lot of friends and relatives are passing away - last month I went to 2 funerals (ffishing buds). And a cousin's husband passed, so I need to leave schedule room to fly out for his memorial.

I was looking forward to this Summit, even pre-shopping for scrapple (not a gourmet for the stuff - just happen to love every scrap I've come across, and not particular enough to have a favorite brand). But several things have intruded into my Summit plans: an uncle passed so I will be in NYC Sunday. Something popped up for Saturday, and next week I have to help my daughter in Cali.

So, no scrapple for moi. Sorry to flame out on the Summit - I had a great time last year and will look forward to the one next year(s).

Ahh bummer, Les. Sorry to hear about all the deaths in the family.

By the way, Bikerfish is right. Weather is looking good!
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i.gif?1474898081

Sorry to hear hou'll be missing out Les, totally understand, sometimes life gets in the way.

Hey gang, it would be helpful to me to know who will be arriving Thursday and when. I just want to make sure I'm around camp when people are arriving.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Ahh bummer, Les. Sorry to hear about all the deaths in the family.

By the way, Bikerfish is right. Weather is looking good!
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i.gif?1474898081

You folks will have the food and camaraderie going for you. But you're going to need much more than an inch of rain and drizzle over the weekend or for a whole week, or maybe even many inches over a whole month. I do hope lots of precipitation materializes through the end of the month and throughout all October, so the fish can move to spawn, otherwise it's going to be pretty tight quarters for them.

I was up that way Friday and Saturday (thankfully with hiking, not fishing, as the primary activity) and small streams are completely dry. Larger streams are at places completely underground and fish are trapped in pools. I've seen streams late summer or early fall low already, but never this low (Kettle hasn't been this low since WWII).

You'll do well if you find some beaver ponds, or break up into really small groups and pool hop. Leaf hatch has started too :)

We usually do break into small groups, and I don't think we're expecting ideal conditions (and your suggestions, particularly the former is part of the plan), but heavier rain WILL help streams like Kettle and bring it up a bit. I don't think anyone is going w/ the expectation to have fantastic small stream fishing

Andy, I an getting anxious and did not know Thursday was an option I would like to come Thursday and I can get there any time I was thinking about afternoon I was planning to stop at Young Woman's Creek on the way up so let me know what time is good for you

Roger

The conditions are not easy (we all know that) and beaver ponds, hidden springs or local German dive barholes are the priority.
I know fantastic pool with golden trout but I can’t tell you yet.

Attachments

• GoldTrout - Potter County.jpg
    GoldTrout - Potter County.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Germania Place - Potter County.jpg
    Germania Place - Potter County.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 6
Hey Roger, if you don't get there til the afternoon on Thursday, no problem. I'll fish close to the camp early Thursday. Or, if you get there in the AM, I'll hang around til you come. Just let me know what YOU prefer! If you want to fish Young Woman's, hit it on the way up, 'cause we won't get down there during the weekend.

Gettin' better!

Attachments

• p120i.gif
    p120i.gif
    42.5 KB · Views: 5
Yes sir, things are looking a little better but I'm not going to celebrate yet. A low is to develop and be cut off which could really help if it's got any moist in it. Also 97L is about to flex some muscle on an undetermined location.

Since you have connections to the man upstairs, see if you can't phone in a favor for 2" of rain.

I've been watching that image all day. It's only been getting better and better. So we keep watching (and praying... though he hears you just as much as he hears me!)

That area of red has gotten bigger and has been creeping further north all day.

Plan on leaving Lancaster Thursday around 8:00 AM, arriving at camp around noon. If no one is there, will try Lyman run or some other trickles in area. Be back at cabin around 6:00 - 6:30. I'm hoping to need rain jacket, even Gortex maybe.
Moosehead Belle

MB, Roger will be arriving around then as well. So I'll be hanging out at camp. Lyman may not be ready yet by Thursday afternoon, so I'm planning on taking you guys up another stream that has some beaver ponds (big ones).

most beaver ponds have dried up. its really bad here and this weather is not going to help much at all

Sasquatch I just sent you a PM.

leaving within the hour, fishing our way there, should get to cabin around 4 or so.

Start sending pictures, you smart phone fools, you. I hope you have wi-fi because there is no reception up there.

Back