2014 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (Newbie Jam) Saturday 3/15/14

I can attest to the quality of CPR's rod building ability. I purchased two rods from him but have since sold one based on the fact that I no longer used it. But the other is by far my favorite small stream rod. He is and will be my rod builder of choice into the future.

Thanks for the donation!

MY past donations have worked in one of the following two ways:

1) Straight door prize: Everyone gets a free ticket and the winning stub is pulled from a bucket.

2) Raffle: tickets are sold for $1 each and the money donated to a worthy cause or to help offset the costs of the event.

I'm OK with either. Anything that brings new fly anglers into the sport is awesome and an event like this certainly does that.

As far as the rod. I have the following builds in mind:

8' 4wt 4pc built on an MHX blank

7'6" 4wt 2pc built on a Batson Rainshadow blank

6'6" 2wt 4pc built on a Batson Forecast blank

Since Foxgap has given me such a glowing review he can choose which rod gets built.

Thanks
matt

CPR wrote:
MY past donations have worked in one of the following two ways:

1) Straight door prize: Everyone gets a free ticket and the winning stub is pulled from a bucket.

2) Raffle: tickets are sold for $1 each and the money donated to a worthy cause or to help offset the costs of the event.

I'm OK with either.

Option 1 is not an option in this case. There is simply too much traffic in and out of the classroom building to keep track of who got a ticket, and who didn't.

Option 2 goes against the deal we have with the Wildlands Conservancy - the event must be totally cost free. This is to comply with their insurance, and also their policy for allowing usage of the building for free.

Given that 100% of the proceeds would be given to the Wildlands Conservancy, maybe they'll lighten up on this - I really have to discuss this with them to make sure it's OK to do.

Doing a raffle also requires someone to sell the tickets, and "sit on" the money collected - this takes instruction time away from the newbies. If one of the instructors is willing to take on this additional duty, it's fine by me.

The only stipulation I have regarding a raffle is that the winner MUST be present at the time of the drawing. I'm still sitting on raffle prizes from the Tying Jam that was in December, and I'm just NOT gonna hold on to anything, and then try to make arrangements to get it to the winner.

Ultimately, it all comes down to what the Wildlands Conservancy says we can do. I'll call them today or tomorrow to find out, and let you know.

Please don't think I'm being ungrateful with your generous offer, but we gotta play by the rules....

Hey Ed, I can make it and would like to help with something. Not sure't my qualifications go past something along the lines of what JackM suggested he could contribute but I'd like to do something. After the seminar I could help out on the stream. If CPR isn't attending or doesn't want to I could help run whatever type of raffle you decide.

maybe something like this:

Set up a table in the lobby area. I could sit there with the rod, a roll of raffle tickets and a bucket. Drop a dollar in the bucket and you get a ticket. Drop 20 dollars in the bucket you get 20 tickets. At some point in the day we chose a winning ticket stub. The winner gets the rod, the Wildlands Conservancy gets the money as a donation.

matt

If they don't want us to do a raffle/donation thing, just do what CPR says but don't ask for the dollar in the bucket. Just come get your ticket if you are interested in said rod.

Whee - that was fun.

A 5 page third party fundraising agreement, small game of chance license, board of governor approval.......

Not happening. We can't even give the rod away without jumping through hoops.

We're already being cut quite a bit of slack just to be able to use this facility. I'm just not willing to continue to poke the proverbial hornet's nest.

CPR - I do truely appreciate your offer. Both to donate the rod, and to help with the process of getting it into someone's deserving hands. It's just not gonna happen at this event.

My suggestion to you (if you really want to do something nice for PAFF members) is to donate the rod for the Spring Jamboree's raffle to be held at Seven Mountains Campground. That event isn't subject to the same kind of scrutiny as the Newbie Jam is at it's location.

Sorry guys, but in the best interest of being able to continue to hold this event, that's my final decision. Helping the Newbies is, and always will be, the ultimate goal of this event.

H.A.

Could you do the raffle at the buffet lunch spot?

oops i didn't see you made your final decision on the raffle matter before I made my suggestion.

Hi everyone, I'm totally new to fly fishing and look forward to attending this event. I missed it last year because my dog training club had the weekend committed already. Looking forward to making it this year. I'm in the Downingtown area by the way.

Look forward to meeting everyone,

Kevin

Welcome to the forum, Kevin!

We look forward to meeting you too.

A few minutes spent with this crew, and you'll feel like you've known them your whole life.

Don't be shy - just dive right in and prepare to have a great time!

Ed

Welcome to the Jungle!

You'll be glad you attended this event. So much knowledge shared here.

Ill prolly stop in. Ill bring some Vedavoo gear for yall to check out.

Are we supposed to sign up to attend this?

You already have :)

Actually, there is no formal registration for this event. Nice to have indications of how many people will be around, but it is a walk in event.

I am new to fly fishing. I have one seasons worth or experience. All self taught from what I've absorbed from this site, videos, etc. I only know one person that fly fishes. I've really come to enjoy it though, and have had moderate success. Anyway, I live in the south york area and was wondering if anyone from that area was heading up and I might be able to hitch a ride. I think I could really benefit from this immensely with knowledge acquired and possible fishing connections.

D-Rock your welcome to hop a ride with me. I live just south of the Turnpike just off 83.

D-Rock023 wrote:
I am new to fly fishing. I have one seasons worth or experience. All self taught from what I've absorbed from this site, videos, etc. I only know one person that fly fishes. I've really come to enjoy it though, and have had moderate success. Anyway, I live in the south york area and was wondering if anyone from that area was heading up and I might be able to hitch a ride. I think I could really benefit from this immensely with knowledge acquired and possible fishing connections.

I live in Lancaster county and plan to head up. If there isn't anyone closer going up there, perhaps we can connect somewhere en route.

Hey delta_dog thanks for the response. Do you know when you plan on leaving and coming back yet?

Back