2014 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (Newbie Jam) Saturday 3/15/14

Welcome to paflyfish, mic.

I'm glad to see you have a mentor to help you along in your flyfishing journey.

Introduce yourself to us at the Newbie Jam, and we'll try our best to fill in any knowledge gaps you may have. I look forward to meeting you!

I was fortunate to have some excellent mentors in flyfishing over the years, and the inspiration to create the Newbie Jam came from one of the best mentors I had. Foxgap239 had the same mentor, but we didn't even know each other until we met here on PAFF. We've become great friends and fishing buddies since we've met, and our mentor takes great delight in this.

That same mentor also introduced me to Old Lefty many years ago. Old Lefty has since become a dear friend, and I rely on his friendship, help, and solid advise to this day.

Many of my closest friends have been met here on PAFF, and you'll get to meet some of them at the Newbie Jam. Literally hundreds of years of flyfishing experience will be available to you at this event.

Enjoy!

Hey I'll help, will there be electric available?

Chaz wrote:
Hey I'll help, will there be electric available?

VERY cool! Got a topic in mind?

We'll have room for you no matter what you want to instruct on, and there will be electric available.

For those that have never met Chaz in person, you're in for a treat! The amount of knowledge he brings to the table is simply staggering.

This is really getting good..... :)

As a compliment to the commercial offering that UFMGuy has, would there be interest in tacking on some of the free apps and PC mapping applications and datasets available, which would definitely fall under the "Where to fish?" category? I could review GIS at a high level and demo apps like OruxMaps (Android) and Galileo (iOS).

Ed, Pat, George,
If you still need a leader/knot instructor I would be glad to do that again. Otherwise I could help out with fly tying or floor sweeping or where ever you can use me.
Mike.

Hey Ed, Pat, George,

Just received my meeting schedule and class schedule and it looks like I can be available for the Jam on 3/15.

I can do the knot / leader / rigging stuff, freeing up Frequent Tyer to tie up some of his great patterns.

Or I can fill in anywhere you guys need help.

Wow - Some serious veteran help added to the mix!

OK, I'll try to add folks in....

Dog - Could you help djs with the gear setup station? You've got some really innovative ideas, and you'd be a perfect fit for this station. If CathyG can make it, we'll move you to the tying station with JT. The girls would love that!

salmonoid - pcray could use a hand at his station. It's always best to have at least two people at each station. Could you contact pcray and work out a gameplan for that station? Putting you two together is gonna be REALLY bad news for the fish. ;-)

FT - Like I'd make you sweep floors. :lol:
You've already got a handout made up, and did this station last year. You've got help, too (see below).

Afish - Always glad to have you involved. You're expertise with leaders, and especially your furled leaders would make that station rock solid. Could you print out some of those instructions for furling leaders and bring them to hand out? If the attendees see you make a leader, maybe it'll inspire them to give it a shot.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Wow - Some serious veteran help added to the mix!

OK, I'll try to add folks in....

Dog - Could you help djs with the gear setup station? You've got some really innovative ideas, and you'd be a perfect fit for this station. If CathyG can make it, we'll move you to the tying station with JT. The girls would love that!

salmonoid - pcray could use a hand at his station. It's always best to have at least two people at each station. Could you contact pcray and work out a gameplan for that station? Putting you two together is gonna be REALLY bad news for the fish. ;-)

FT - Like I'd make you sweep floors. :lol:
You've already got a handout made up, and did this station last year. You've got help, too (see below).

Afish - Always glad to have you involved. You're expertise with leaders, and especially your furled leaders would make that station rock solid. Could you print out some of those instructions for furling leaders and bring them to hand out? If the attendees see you make a leader, maybe it'll inspire them to give it a shot.

Can do, Ed. Looking forward to it.

Ed,

I really want to be there.

I start CDL school tomorrow and should finish 2/25 assuming I find a part time job to pay some bills so I don't have to quit school before finishing(I have zero income right now and I'm living on a little bit of savings). If I'm not working on 3/15 I will be there and would love to help.

Cathy

H-A pm sent

GenCon

afishinado wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:

Can do, Ed. Looking forward to it.

That will be great. Afish, I focus almost exclusively on hand tied leaders and blood knots. If you cover furled and furling we can both pick up on misc knots, extruded leaders and what not. I'll probablly get to learn a few things too!
Mike.

As a compliment to the commercial offering that UFMGuy has, would there be interest in tacking on some of the free apps and PC mapping applications and datasets available, which would definitely fall under the "Where to fish?" category?

Salmonoid. Yep!

Last year I did cover the "lists" from the PAFBC, as well as the GIS data available and how to get it on various mapping services, etc. UFMGuy was also there with his app. And I show off the USGS gauges too.

That said, I'm not the most technically savvy guy out there. And while the "tools" of the trade are important, I like to keep a fair amount of focus on strategy. What conditions should lead you to certain stream types, etc.

The more the merrier!

JackM wrote:
Ed, you are the man. Thanks for doing this again to make our community an example of "giving back" or "paying forward" or whatever is the correct phrase.

If it weren't so far, I would offer seminar #8:

"An Unorthodox Approach to Fly Fishing (How to cast poorly, read the water wrong, choose the wrong flies, flub the presentation and blow the lucky take and still have fun doing it.)"

Man, I am bummed. I was looking forward to your program.....

I'll be there and try to bring a friend or two. Thanks Ed!

This site has been a great beginner tool for me already without the newbie jam. After seeing the wealth of experience and more importantly the enthusiasm of those signing up to share their knowledge, I would be a fool not to attend. Who knows maybe I'm the next high sticking freak that I've been hearing about. I'll be looking forward to meeting and learning from everybody. The date is perfect as it falls in between two trips to Minnesota.

I would also like to contribute to the event. I am assuming that nobody really needs to learn how to knock their hat off while casting a wooley bugger so I will volunteer to clean up afterwards.

Any suggestions one what I should bring to get the maximum learning experience?

poopdeck wrote:
Any suggestions one what I should bring to get the maximum learning experience?

I'd suggest a pencil/pen and small tablet, or some electronic recording device. A camera would be good, too.

Don't forget to bring your fishing gear and 2014 license for the afternoon on-stream session.

Be prepared to learn and laugh - this is an incredibly fun group. :-D

Two new developments I'd like to share:

One of our members, CPR, has graciously volunteered to donate a new custom built rod to be given away at this event.

For those not aware of his work, you can check out his website:

http://www.rodtrader.net/

Details on how we're going to pick the winner have yet to be determined, but we'll figure something out. I have no details on what the rod will be, but maybe CPR can chime in.

Also, there will be an additional station on display - "How to Catch BIG Trout". This is being manned by a very competent "monster size trout" fisherman of many years experience, and the proof to back it up. Some of this proof will be on display, and tips, techniques, and methods will be discussed.

While you won't be given exact locations of where these huge fish can be found, he'll teach you the types of places and streams to look for them. With a little leg work, you too can have similar success. You'd be surprised how common it is to find big fish like this, and they can be found closer than you'd think.

Wow, those are some nice rods CPR! Kudos for the donation.

I am guessing the big fish thingy won't be put on by the brookie guys.

We'll rename that one "how to catch tiny trout". :)

pcray1231 wrote:
We'll rename that one "how to catch racoon snacks". :)

Fixed

Back