2012 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Jamboree, 12/15/12

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Not to come off as self centered and arrogant, but I don't need help with my tying skills. I would be willing to be a featured tyer for you.

defranksflies wrote:
Not to come off as self centered and arrogant, but I don't need help with my tying skills. I would be willing to be a featured tyer for you.

The whole point is for everyone (beginners and advanced tyers) to have a chance to learn from one another. All of the tyers are featured, and all you have to do is pick a pattern to be added to the list. We would love to have you, so feel free to jump in.

I'm going to tie a traditional Catskill style dry fly. Not sure which yet, but I'll cover the basic Catskill technique. It would be good to cover Halliford and Wulff style as well, so lets get some more dry fly volunteers!

I should be able to attend, so long as something doesn't pop up on the work front.
I can tie whatever might be needed to fill in the blanks. I'm a comparadun nut, so I can certainly do those. Any streamers...I'm a fan of the black nose dace. Doing some quick flies could be helpful to any newbies, like Al's rat, Walt's worm, SJW, GW...

Glad to have you attend, Phil.

I received confirmation from the Hokendauqua TU Chapter that they'll be manning the beginner's table again this year. Those guys do a really good job with newbie instruction - they've been doing it for over 20 years. So far, they'll be instructing on how to tie the Green Weenie, but it's really a matter of them teaching some of the basics of tying to people that have never tied before.

I'll likely pick up materials for another fly for them to teach, and it'll be something easy and simple. They'll also be able to handle just about any questions on tying, since the guys they'll bring to instruct are all veteran tyers.

This is a good opportunity for beginners to hook up with the guys at Hokendauqua TU for information on their 8 week fly tying classes. The classes start in January, and are held at the Northampton Middle School. They run consecutive Saturday mornings, and they're some of the best fly tying instruction in the area. You can check out their website here...

Hokendauqua TU

Updated tyer's list:

Eunanhendron - Special Guest Tyer

gaeronf - TBD
SBecker - Dronestone
Frequent Tyer - TBD Catskill style fly
Foxgap239 - Hi Vis Parachute Adams
delta_dog - GT Caddis
Surveyor06 - TBD
whheff - TBD
gfen - TBD
PhilC - TBD

For those that don't know, TBD stands for "To Be Decided". The sooner the tyers can pick their pattern, the better. This allows others the opportunity to choose something not listed, although duplicates aren't out of bounds. Just pick something you feel comfortable tying (and explaining as you go) within the 15 minute time limit.

It really helps if you practice your "demo" beforehand, especially to keep within the time limit. Having all materials laid out beforehand is also good. We've got 8 hours to tie, vs 4 hours we had last year. This means we should be able to fit about 30 tyers into the rotation. If we have extra time, that time will be used for Q & A sessions following each demo.

We request that the tyers explain techniques as they go, rather than just tying the fly, and explaining afterwards. This can easily make a 5 minute tie into a 15 minute tie, so be prepared. ;-)

i believe you just roped me into something, sir. one minute its, "take pictures" the next minute its "tbd."

flymph.

gfen wrote:
i believe you just roped me into something, sir. one minute its, "take pictures" the next minute its "tbd."

flymph.

Smooth, eh? Actually, your TBD was flexible - meaning you didn't have to tie if you didn't want to.

Too late now. :-D

I will do the classic hares ear. Maybe soft hackle if there is interest.

I see I'm on the list too. :)
How can I say no.
Since this is a newbie thing, what would you say to
Al's Rat, Zebra midge and maybe another midge pattern.
Simple flies that work well and are easy to tie.

Just so everyone knows, when you express interest in attending, I'll add you to the list - with your fly choice.

No one is considering this a guarantee of your attendance. As we all know, life has a way of interfering with our plans, and after all, this is all in good fun - no worries.

Consider this like a dinner reservation - if you can make it, fine. If not, it's not a problem. The "list" just holds a spot in the tying rotation for you, and lets others know what you plan on tying, so they can choose accordingly. Anyone can change their chosen fly pattern whenever they wish.

Updated tyer's list:

gaeronf - TBD
SBecker - Dronestone
delta_dog - GT Caddis
Surveyor06 - Hare's Ear Nymph
whheff - zebra midge
gfen - flymph
PhilC - TBD

I'll say, "count me in."

Dave R. tying... fill in the blank...

by OldLefty on 2012/9/13 22:55:06 I'll say, "count me in." Dave R. tying... fill in the blank...

Glad to see your coming Dave.

OldLefty wrote:
I'll say, "count me in."

Dave R. tying... fill in the blank...

Was hoping you could make it. Looks like I get to pick your pattern again. This is a no brainer for me - your Isonychia nymph. Man, I love that fly.

Updated tyer's list:

gaeronf - TBD
SBecker - Dronestone
delta_dog - GT Caddis
Surveyor06 - Hare's Ear Nymph
whheff - zebra midge
gfen - flymph
PhilC - TBD
OldLefty - Isonychia nymph

I hope I'm not tying next to Dave. He can make anyone's patterns look like crap. You should make him tie a Green Weenie or a Walts Worm....lol....now that would be funny.

delta_dog wrote:
I hope I'm not tying next to Dave. He can make anyone's patterns look like crap. You should make him tie a Green Weenie or a Walts Worm....lol....now that would be funny.

The cool thing about Dave is that he NEVER belittles anyone's skills. I highly encourage everyone to pay close attention when he ties - there's some serious knowledge being shared. Dave puts a lot of thought into his patterns. They don't just look good, they perform well. Every tiny piece of material, every wrap of thread is there for a reason. His ties are always a careful balance of appearance, durability, and function. IMO, no one does this better than Dave.

You're sitting next to Dave, dog. Enjoy! If I was tying, I'd be fighting you for that seat. Take full advantage of the opportunity....

It's an honor for sure. But he better bring some cinnamon buns. ;-)

HA, you can change my TBD to a Quill Gordon.
It's great to see that we already have some fantastic talent on the list! I'm looking forward to learning something from each and every one. Don't be shy folks. Regardless of your skill level and whether you want to tie or attend, if you are interested in the art of fly tying this is an event you don't want to miss.

Could ya put me down as a spectator...and a maybe? Hope to but not sure...

Back