2011 PAFF Instructional Mini-Jam 2/26/11

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
I'll be going by the LL on the way home, I can see what it looks like in a bit. It seems to clear up enough to be slightly murky, but can see the bottom in around 6+ hours. Could be wrong but have noticed that before.

The headwaters and tribs are chocolate milk and flooded.

Streamers will be the way to go. Bring your boat anchors.

At the flyh shop it's clearing, but not by much. Still looks like coffee with some cream and high. Two die hards fishing there tho.

It should clear up a bit by morning,but as I said it'll be Wooly bugger and streamer time,throw in some bright glo bugs for the Rainbows,maybe a few bhpheasant tails,etc.
It'll be good to get on the stream and talk flyfishing,see you tomorrow!

Sweet cause I have never caught a trout on a streamer, maybe tomorrow I can fix that, haha

Also, just found out I will be riding solo from the Horsham/Willow Grove area, old man has to work, anyone who wants a ride from my area PM me!

I might have to man up and fish after hearing all this. Looks like I'll be driving 300 mph to make it to stoudt's in time. :-D

i have two streamer rods packed for tomorrow.
see everyone attending in the AM.

Thanks for setting this up ... will try to stop by. Good to know that skiltonian will be there, I can be ready when he shows up behind me while im fishing and startles me this time!

Edit: Nevermind.

Good to see everyone!

Seemed like you guys had a good turnout. I got to meet a few people and wet a line in some chocolate milk for an hour before the wife called me home. Nice day, just wish the fishing was better.

Thanks to all who contributed today, it was great!

The 2011 Instructional Mini-Jam is in the books, and was a huge success.

A BIG "Thank You" to the intructors - you guys did a great job, as I knew you would. Sorry I had to cut each of you short - this showed everyone just how well versed you guys were. Most impressive!

Here's a list of our instructors:

jdaddy - Gear and TU membership.
JayL - What trout eat, and flies to immitate them.
pcray - techniques used to fish those flies.
skiltonian - Indicator fishing techniques.
fly_flinger - common knots.
JasonS - On Stream Instruction.
Old Lefty - Fly Casting.

I'd also like to point out the generosity of our senior members in attendance. Andy (surveyor06) sorted and distributed flies that were donated for our new/non-tying members. They received several dozen each!

Lastly, I'd like to thank all of our senior and newer members, friends, and family members that showed up, and braved the bone chilling wind in the morning. I counted 36 people in attendance at the time of the group photo, and several more showed up during the day. Some had driven close to 3 hours to attend - that's hard core!

Judging from how well this event was received, I'd like to see this become an annual event. Hopefully, it was a learning experience for all. Please post anything you think that would help make this event better for next year - there's always room for improvement.

It was really nice to see old friends, and make new ones as well.

H.A.

InstMiniJam.jpg

FrozenSurveyor06.jpg

OldLeftycasting.jpg

Heritage Ed wrote:
Judging from how well this event was received, I'd like to see this become an annual event.

How 'bout monthly / bi-monthly, Ed......lol

Sorry I couldn't make it.

Great job to you, Ed for organizing the event and great job to all the guys that contributed their time and effort. Good stuff! I'm sure it was well appreciated by everyone.

I agree. Kudos to Ed and the members who made this happen - sounds lik a great day.

Id like to give credit to whheff, he helped me big time sorting those flies. There was a great mix of flies that were donated, some well crafted flies, including nymphs, dries, and streamers. Thank you to those who donated. Im sure the new guys were really appreciative.

Thanks to all who contributed. I had a great time and learned much. My friend who never held a rod before was really excited and went out afterwards and picked up his first rod.
So much valuable information. It was a great time and day.
Once again, thanks to all who gave there time and knowledge. Even some of the experienced guys who were not instructors gave amazing info. So happy to meet all. Thanks

I would like to thank you, Ed, and all of the instructors. This was a great event. I even got to chat Flyers with a couple guys. Do you guys ever have gatherings like these for tying?

zenherper wrote:
I would like to thank you, Ed, and all of the instructors. This was a great event. I even got to chat Flyers with a couple guys. Do you guys ever have gatherings like these for tying?

Glad you guys enjoyed this event - I know I did! I stayed out of the instructor's role, just in case one of them had to make a last minute cancellation, but they showed up early, and armed for bear. :-D Knowing the caliber of these individuals, I wasn't surprised at all.

We have gathered for a tying mini-jam in the past, but we lost our gathering place this year. It's not easy to find a place willing to let a bunch of guys fling fur and feathers all over the place, and a fly shop would be the preferred place (none left here in the Valley). There IS a restaurant that used to let the locals gather to do this, and I'll have to talk to them to see if they'd be willing to do so again.

Here's a picture from our last tying jam...

Attachments

• PAFFLVTFJ.jpg
    PAFFLVTFJ.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 5

I stuck these in the other forum, I'll repost it here.

Sorry I missed it, I wanted to come and meet some of you, but the sinuses were at it again. Then my parents talked me into going to Cabelas for some things and I was going to stop by afterwards but was around 3 ish, but we stopped at Dietrichs meats and my father was hungry so went right home. Debating about checking out the LL later and maybe wetting a line.

Back