2011 PAFF Instructional Mini-Jam 2/26/11

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Need a volunteer to instruct the first session on gear and TU membership (9am). The person I had slated for this may have to work...

Anyone interested?

Sorry H-A, can't help with that session. Roughly how many flies should we plan on bringing? Also, no category to the flies, correct? I planned on bringing some stuff for bluegills. After all that is how I started "fly fishing" and it got me hooked. At least I was catching, which kept my attention.

This is an amazing opportunity. Thanks to all of you for doing this. I'll be there. Anything I can bring, other than my own equipment?

Everyone is encouraged to donate as many flies as they can.

We're trying to support our newer members, and giving them each a bunch of flies will surely let them know how far we're willing to go to support them.

KeithS wrote:
This is an amazing opportunity. Thanks to all of you for doing this. I'll be there. Anything I can bring, other than my own equipment?

This is a great opportunity to pass on knowledge and skills - PAFF has quite a history of doing this. Being able to do this in person is just a further step, and hopefully it is well received. We really want to show our newer members that we support them as they learn.

If you have any kind of small rope (like clothes line), we could use it for knot tying. It'll get cut up into pieces, so it's gotta be disposable....

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Need a volunteer to instruct the first session on gear and TU membership (9am). The person I had slated for this may have to work...

Anyone interested?

Please disregard this. The original instructor will be there (and he's awesome).

So whats the thinking such that we are going to receive an inch of rain from tonight through Friday? LL is going to be blown out I am afraid.

Perfect time to learn how effective a streamer can be on the LL.

LRSABecker wrote:
So whats the thinking such that we are going to receive an inch of rain from tonight through Friday? LL is going to be blown out I am afraid.

Perfect I need to learn the streamer aspect. Who is bringing the half a rabbit for me to chuck around (Jay I am looking at you)?

LRSABecker wrote:

We'll just drive up to your house for cookies. :)

We'll head to Cedar Creek for the afternoon session. I'll know what that looks like, since I have to drive over it to get to the LL. If it's good, and the LL is blown out, it'll be a shorter drive from lunch. Steelhead fishing, anyone? :cool:

Other option would be the Po depending on the regulated flow? Just a suggestion, don't know if anybody want to drive up there if the Cedar and LL are blown out.

Since I have the techniques talk, looks like it will be:

Step 1: Chuck
Step 2: Duck

The first time they try it will be the perfect demonstration on why step 2 has to happen quickly after step 1, you can't wait for that one....

This is the last time I am going to try to reply... It's failed silently 3 times.

Yes, I will bring streamers.

I am voting for keeping it this weekend regardless of conditions. I doubt I'll be fishing much, and I will have issues rescheduling any time soon.

I vote to keep it this weekend as well, was just curiouse of everybody else's thoughts.

LRSABecker wrote:
Other option would be the Po depending on the regulated flow? Just a suggestion, don't know if anybody want to drive up there if the Cedar and LL are blown out.

Good option - we'll take a vote if we have to....

It'll be your responsibility to protect us from the hilljacks. We could do Riverwalck instead of the ESB for dinner, too!

Decisions, decisions. :-D

It WILL be this Saturday, no matter what. This is about teaching the newbies first - fishing afterwards is just a bonus.

My permission slip is signed & stamped already for Saturday. I'll be there regardless of rain, snow, cold or high/muddy water. Looking forward to it regardless of conditions. A streamer session would be awesome!

My plans are locked in, as well. I just lost two riders to share gas; one has another committment and the other wanted to fish in decent water conditions. The cost of my trip just went up considering the rise in gas prices. I'll still be there.

The primary focus of Saturday's get-together is instructing/learning, not fishing. Although, I"ll admit I was hoping for some fishing in good conditions in the afternoon. It will provide more time for the main focus of the day as a result.

Dave R.

Hey OL, let me give my cousin a call. He is currently up at Penn tech and might be willing to come down with you. He is a newbie when it comes to FF, let me get back to you.

I'd like to see a donation bucket set up to defray any costs with excess going to PATU.

Other than gas money, I don't think there's gonna be a big expense involved (that I know of).

The only costs involve coffee & donuts - which I'll happily provide.

If you want to set up a donation bucket for PATU, that's fine with me, but all the money should go to PATU. I personally don't want to get involved with dividing up anything for expenses, and I certainly don't want our students to feel pressured to pay anything.

Just sayin' ;-)

Back