2009 Swap - Sign UP

Bruno,

Are setting a limit on the amount of tiers? I'm in if you have room. If I counted right, I would make 11. This just what I needed to get tying again. I'll probaly tie a soft-hackled hares ear if we stick to the "Go-to" theme.

JH

I'll also take the photos if you want...however I fear it was my poor photography for the midges that resulted in almost no one claiming their ties...so I make that offer with the disclaimer that someone else keep track of who ties what!

Your pics aren't that bad, I just havn't gotten around to Id'ing the fly's yet. Just might do that tonight after the X-mas party.

JH

There are 14 tyers signed up to date.

Since I am new to PA and USA fishing, can someone let me know if I need to tie on barb less hooks and if there are other regulations that need to be followed, e.g. is additional weight allowed.

Either I am going to tie a nymph pattern that I use in New Zealand for fishing under willows (which I have been able to get a few 5 lb browies on) or a big deers hair cicada pattern typically used in New Zealand to suspend nymphs and doubles as a great indicator. Else a classic all black gnat.

Hey, if there’s room I’ll join the swap with a Thunder Creek Series. I’ll have to think about what pattern would be best across PA. But these streamers have proven to be very effective, with a slim profile, dark back and target eyes. Even though they have a slim profile, the tying method results in a rounded nose which, as it’s stripped back, produces a water cone much like a natural baitfish. I personally think Keith Fulsher is a genius for coming up with this pattern. I finally got round to tying and using them about a year ago. I’ve known about them since 1962 and finally got to them. No reason to rush; I fly fish to get away from the rush. Why they have not been more popular is beyond me. Maybe the Clouser minnow has overshadowed it? Anyways, after a year of tying them, I believe I’m figuring out how to get the same profile as Mr. Fulsher intended, with a small elongated head. Not one with a rounded, bulbous head. Fredrick, who also has joined the swap, can testify to how this pattern produces. I gave him one I tied and he had good results with it on the Big Bushkill. I’d also like to get the Thunder Creek streamers added to the swap pages.

Tight lines,
Larry

If unusual materials becomes the theme, this article should motivate some interesting tying.

http://flyfishmagazine.com/html/trash_flies.html

ffNZ,

Many of us use barbless hooks on our own accord. If you have barbs, nothing a pair of hemos can't solve for me. There are usually no regulations against it, aside from a few special regs areas. As far as weight, I think that's kosher for the whole state.

Sign me up! I'll swap out a couple of my killer scecret tully flies!

flyfishermanj wrote:

Your pics aren't that bad, I just havn't gotten around to Id'ing the fly's yet. Just might do that tonight after the X-mas party.

JH

Thanks FFJ...No hurry...I was expecting, though, that people would want to share tricks on tying thier patterns, success stories, etc.

How we doing on the swap sign up? Know how many people are involved as of right now, so I know how many flies to start tying?

So far we have 15

Still waiting on emails addresses from some of the tyers as well. So far i have the following. I have not checkd the thread in a bit so there may be one or two more out there. Signups end Jan 1st. Unofficial theme is using one or more “non- traditional” tying materials in your fly. This is totally unofficial – tie up anything you see fit to share. I will be send out the rules of the swap and my mailing info by email. If you have check pm by your name I am still waiting on an email from you.

Fredrick are you on Jack's trip email thread ? I may have your there.

redrockgrizzly - check pm
Fredrick - check pm
TomG
David
Raven456
ryguyfi
jayl
flyfishingNZ
Bruno
shultzy501
dave1066
Flydog
flyfishermanj
larry - check pm
dave1432- check pm

Yeah thats me on Jacks trip email ..

Bruno,
I'm also on Jack's trip email list, see Larry Ford. BTW, thanks for taking on this swap.

finally got a half decent picture of the fly I'm tying... can't see the easter grass flash back, but here's a pic...

3 down 17 to go.

Count me in I will find something to tie up. I am new to tying so I will not be able to supply anything fancy but should be able to include unique material in mine!

Do we know yet how many we are supposed to tie? I've started tying a bunch of beaded thorax mayfly nymphs.

Looks like 16 participants so far . Please remember that is is nice to tie an extra for Dave Kile, the site host.

Spent a nice day in Erie with Acristickid. The golden stone fly i tied up the other night worked well.

Also nice to tie an extra or two for the host of the swap.

Everyone check your email. I sent out the "rules" Please let me know if you did not get them. My email is acting a little funky today.

Back