2009 SE PA Trico Summit 8/2/09

The latest forcast I saw was for PM t-storms. In the afternoon, unless the roof leaks in the bar, I don't think we'll get wet.

I'm bringing some fly-tying materials and I may tie if the weather is o.k. but the fishing isn't. I'm on regardless!

Dave R.

Well, I just got up and it is raining fairly hard and lightening.
I am out, but if you guys do this again, I'll look forward to it,
Thanks,
Schiff

Just checked weather.com. The forecast for today looks a lot worse than it did yesterday. I'm out as well.

Yeah, I packed up and left my house about 6am. I made it as far as the WaWa to gas up and the road was flooded, so I truned around. According to the NWS, Chester County got 2" of rain already, and there's a flash flood warning this morning for the entire area including the Lehigh Valley.

That really sucks! Maybe we can try it again soon.

Attachments

• LL.JPG
    LL.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 4
Bummer. Was the road to the tavern flooded as well?

JackM wrote:
Bummer. Was the road to the tavern flooded as well?

Unfortunately we live in PA, and on Sunday's the bars can't serve 'til 1pm..............double bummer.

:evil: :pint:

Rained out.

There was, IIRC, 9 people at 7am next to the LL, which was blown out from heavy rain overnight.

OldLefty gave us casting tips while Heritage Ed checked out an alternate location, unfortunatly, this was also blown.

So, casting continued til the rain began in earnest again. A quick sojourn to Wawa for coffee and breakfast, and then we hit up A Sporting Lifestyle in Dorneyville who were kind enough to host our motley crew while OldLefty showed us some ties and we swapped stories.

From there, it was Chinese buffet and home.

In no particular order we had:
Rob (occasionally Joe), who's got a Belgian beer for a screen name. Don't ask me what it was. My memory isn't that good.
Mark, who isn't a lurker but "doesn't post much."
Tom, who is a lurker.
Littlelehigh.
Surveyor.
OldLefty.
Heritate Angler.
JayL.

Why do I think I'm forgetting someone?

Spyder, you were missed. Several of us were looking forward to meeting the guy behind the attitude, and feet. Come out next time...

Spyder20oz wrote:
I was there all day an no one showed up... what the heck, was this some kind of sick joke?

We were there before 7AM and didn't leave until it started pouring again around 9:30AM. There was about a dozen of us standing around getting casting instruction from Old Lefty. Pretty tough to miss that bunch!

All the area streams were blown out, so we all went up to the Wawa on Lehigh Street for coffee and breakfast, then headed down to "A Sporting Lifestyle" - the new fly shop in Allentown. The owner of the fly shop graciously allowed us to use his elegant facility to hang out and watch Old Lefty do a fly tying demo.

After tying flies for a few hours, we all went to a Chinese Buffet for lunch (and a half). The day was a total loss as far as fishing went, but it was a good time hanging out with some quality people.

We made the best out of a tough situation, and we all still managed to have fun. We were all a little disappointed that Spyder didn't show up though.

We'll try to reschedule this event, probably around the middle of September.

Edit - shoulda never started watching the Phillies lose while I typed. Sorry gfen - didn't mean to repeat your post. I'll make a few calls and try to cement a date for a new Summit...

Mark is also usually known as Mike. :)

Figured it was going to be a bust as far as fishing went early on in the drive up there. Dave R worked with me to help fix my wide open loops, we swapped stories and plans for future trips, then we watched dave deliver a dissertation on the wonders of dubbing.

I drove home and tied some sexy lookin' sowbugs and a few tiny nymphs.

Thanks to all who helped salvage the day.

Spyder,

Shame you didn't make it. We all wanted to meet you.

The trico jam was a no show. How about we have a toe jam?

:lol:

I couldn't resist. It's no Rothrock quality pun, but I think it works.

Do you accept camel cash?

Spyder20oz wrote:
$35/ person if you want to actually get to talk to me.

You give away enough milk that I don't think that cow's a sellin'. :-D

Boyer

gfen wrote:
Rained out.

In no particular order we had:
Rob (occasionally Joe), who's got a Belgian beer for a screen name. Don't ask me what it was. My memory isn't that good.
Mark, who isn't a lurker but "doesn't post much."
Tom, who is a lurker.
Littlelehigh.
Surveyor.
OldLefty.
Heritate Angler.
JayL.

Why do I think I'm forgetting someone?

Spyder, you were missed. Several of us were looking forward to meeting the guy behind the attitude, and feet. Come out next time...

gfen,

Did you do a foot check?!? Maybe Spyderboy was actually there posing as one of those lurkers.........

You know, spidey, your offer sounds just downright fishy...;-)

Even though we couldn't fish it turned out to be a nice gathering. Dave thanks for the casting instructions really gives me a reason and purpose to get out on the lawn and practice and I find it alot more enjoyable too! Hopefully next time we can find some fish.

Jack, there are no size 22 tricos in PA and if you had ever fished a trico hatch you would know that.

Chaz wrote:
Jack, there are no size 22 tricos in PA and if you had ever fished a trico hatch you would know that.

I have fished them with success on the tully and gunpowder before. Though, the gunpowder is in maryland, I would imagine the bugs are similar.

Not disagreeing with your point, but the fish will take a slightly larger fly.

I fished the hatch one time and did well with a size 20 BWO cdc, so I am guessing that a size 22 trico imitation would be at least as effective. Of course, I am sure I didn't fish over the high IQ trout you are used to fishing over, so your milage may vary as they say.

Chaz,
Are you saying they are bigger or smaller than a size 22?

Back