2009 SE PA Trico Summit 8/2/09

I fished this stretch today, and did well.

The intermittent showers hurt the fishing, but the fish were still looking up.

Should be a good get together.

gfen wrote:
I know a great little homeless mission next to a bridge only a hop, skip and a jump from here.. But a camp ground?

Closest I can think of is a KOA on rt100 by the SGL 215..probably 30 minutes from the fishing spot.

Thanks gfen.
But my plans changed a little. I got one of my buddies to come with me. And he's been wanting to fish the cumberland valley streams. So, we're gonna fish and stay over there sat, then come over early sunday to the LL.

One other thing. I don't know if it's my old computer, but I can't get anything when I click on the directions map. It just sits loading - but never does.
Anyway, I've found plenty of little lehigh park maps elsewhere.
According to what I see on them, Park drive crosses the little lehigh twice. Close to the 24th st bridge, and again downstream a ways
Which one are we meeting at?

dryflyguy wrote:
gfen wrote:

I don't know if it's my old computer, but I can't get anything when I click on the directions map. It just sits loading - but never does.
Anyway, I've found plenty of little lehigh park maps elsewhere.
According to what I see on them, Park drive crosses the little lehigh twice. Close to the 24th st bridge, and again downstream a ways
Which one are we meeting at?

Try this link:

Trike Jam Map

Thanks afish That one came right up.

I've got a little problem regarding getting size 24 trico spinners. Basically I get all my flies from theflystop.com, but they are sold out of size 24 trico's. They do have them in size 22 and 26, would either of those sizes be effective, or do the fish zero in on size 24 only? If it must be a size 24 I was wondering if any of the experienced tyer's might be able to hook me up with a dozen or so (6 black, 6 creme)? I would be willing to pay for them or can pick up lunch. If someone is willing they can PM me and we can work something out. Thanks for any replies/help in advance.

Jason

As much as I like these gathering I don't think I'll make this one, for a couple of reason. It's a pretty good haul for me, those 1 day trips are hard on me anymore. I have fished the LL a few times and didn't enjoy it that much, not sure why, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I may change my mind, if I can get someone to share the ride.

PaulG

Now, if you don't catch you will have someone to blame it on.

PaulG wrote:
I have fished the LL a few times and didn't enjoy it that much, not sure why, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I don't like it much, so you're not alone. I'm hoping to find a new respect for it by fishing with some regulars.

This should be fun.

PA Fly Fish peeps,

I am "new" to fly fishing (been at it for 2 years) and only just recently fished Valley Creek (talk about spooky fish!).

I would like to see if I can make the jam this weekend (Sunday, right?). I have been using bootfoot hip waders for all of my fly fishing excursions. Would these be OK in the LL? I've obviously never fished the LL (or a trico hatch) so I might need some help.

Thanks, peeps!

Joe

I wet waded it last sunday. If the cold water doesn't bother you, do that.

I have to be in Dickson City Saturday a.m. to pop in to a TU regional meeting since I said, as PA Trout president, I'd make it a point to visit all of the regions. From there it is back to Oriole to pick up my better half and head south to Quakertown.

I figure I'm looking at up to 8 hrs. of driving on Saturday just so I can be at Tricky Summit...ah, I mean, Trekke Summit...no, that's not right.

TRICO SUMMIT! Third time's always a charm;-)

Let's all plan to have fun!!

LittleLehigh, I'll be asking to look at your Paralep nymph.

Dave R.

BTW, for those who have labeled themselves new to ff'ing, we're all "new" each day we venture out onto the stream. Those live critters we know as trout make sure of that. And, at times, those most experienced are most humbled. Been there, done that and have a closet full of t-shirts!!

Dave R.

Word...Dave! Those deer are the same way when I bowhunt! (...and I'm fairly "new" to that, too!) :)

Joe

OldLefty wrote:
...those most experienced are most humbled...
Dave R.

LOL. Great thought. When you're a noobie, your expectations are low and any success at all is celebrated. After a lot of time on the water and some success, you begin to think you've just about mastered the game. Sure enough, on the next outting, the fish pitch a no-hitter against you, and end up back at the batting cage trying to figure things out. Such is FF.

Thinking "I haven't been skunked in a while" is like yelling "anything but a 7" in the middle of a long roll at that craps table.

PA Fly Fish peeps,

Is the "jam" still on if it's raining?...the forecast doesn't look good for Sunday AM.

Joe

weather.com has scattered thunderstorms. That describes pretty much every summer day. Unless it's going to be sustained rain, I'm still in.

I'm with jayL, unless it's gonna be really nasty, I'll be there.

Back