Your largest wild/native trout?

Jay,

Nice fish. Maybe its just the camera, but that ones a weird lookin fella. Big yellow spots. Looks limestonish...

I was out Sunday, and ended up somewhere between 20 and 30 fish (60ish between 3 guys), but the size was dissapointing even for this stream, which I've caught some nice ones in the past. Don't think a single one went above 7" on this day. Some of them appeared to be old fish too. Without the bigger ones, this stream is more hassle than its worth.

Hey thanks pcray! Yeah all i've got is my crappy cell camera so that might be why it looks a little off.

Sounds like you had a pretty decent day there (valley's given me the skunk on more than one occasion), but i'll agree with you on the number of tiny fish there are. They're usually nice looking fish, but the little ones do tend to get old.

But hey, its the "what if" that keeps bringing us back right? Haha plus its the most consistent fishing I've found since moving to philly.

Let me know if you're ever planning another trip there.

Well, I was talking about JayL's brookie, but yours is nice too.

The day I just described in post #61 was not on Valley, it was a freestone brook trout stream, though I've had some good days on Valley too. I'm actually impressed with the size of the fish on Valley.

hahahaha my apologies to you both, and JayL your fish is definitely awesome! Missed the ball on that one...

As for my small fish on Valley, I guess I've got some skills to work on, and some bigger fish to find!

Well, on Valley, I'm no expert (only fished it 3 times so far), but 7-8 inches has been average, probably. There's a few smaller and bigger, though, too. I seem to get 2 or 3 in the 10-12" range per trip, and maybe one around 14". For that size of stream, thats respectable size.

BigSpring004.jpg

That fish is absolutely incredible, fred, but how can you be sure it's not an escapee? I am pretty sure you said you caught it on a stream that's known for them.

escapee or not, he's been in the stream a while, they don't stock em like that. Wow. Fish of a lifetime for PA, maybe several lifetimes. The only way my jaw isn't totally on the floor is if you say he's great lakes related, and even then, its a hog. Wouldn't be shocked if it'd threaten state record status for non-great lakes fish, if we had such a category.

You turn him in anywhere? Please tell me you at least got some measurements. Length, girth, weight?

Not to sound like a broken record, but wow! That fish is incredible!

pcray1231 wrote:
escapee or not, he's been in the stream a while, they don't stock em like that. Wow. Fish of a lifetime for PA, maybe several lifetimes. The only way my jaw isn't totally on the floor is if you say he's great lakes related, and even then, its a hog. Wouldn't be shocked if it'd threaten state record status for non-great lakes fish, if we had such a category.

You turn him in anywhere? Please tell me you at least got some measurements. Length, girth, weight?

Based on where that fish came from, it was probably caught numerous times.

If it qualified for record, I'd imagine that it would've come up eventually.

It's a freaking hog. I think I had a shot at the same one once, but obviously botched it.

My best wild bow was from the D a 22" fish caught at Buckingham Access during hig water, matched by a twin at Long Eddy. My best wild browns, not measure were a bushel of browns from the Lackawanna that were all over 20 inches. The best brookie which was 16 inches was caught locally in a limestone stream it was 16", it is the nly one I have a photo of.

jayL wrote:
That fish is absolutely incredible, fred, but how can you be sure it's not an escapee? I am pretty sure you said you caught it on a stream that's known for them.

Because he would be the oldest brownie ever

WOW nice brown. Hey Fred are you sure thats not a carp wearing a spotted dress. LOL!! great fish

See you at the Jam Mr Envy

I'll get me one like that one day. Nice catch bud!!

Nah, he just put a toy flyrod next to a 15"er. :)

I've always loved that fish. Big, beastly, and brutal liookin. You know all the other fish swam aside when he came through.

19" native brown I caught in the upper part of bobs creek. Picture is not real good color. It is the only fish that made my ugly stick bend way down.

Back