Young Fly Anglers

I never once said this forum isn't doint enough, I said it would be nice to see more... that's all. A lot of you are still on mommy's tit.

let me go read through the 40th thread on the difference between a limestone stream and freestone stream...

stevehalupka wrote:
aside from your little crew on here, do you have ANY friends?

I don't even have friends here, thanks for making me feel bad. Hey, I know a custom rod builder, want his URL?

...that's what I would've posted if I wanted to divert this thread from its intentions, but its been put forth more than a few times that the Beginner's Forum is sacrosanct, so rather than doing so I'll just point out that sometimes, part of the path is learning things. People might not realize that limestone vs. freestone vs. tailwater has been asked a thousand times, and they ask again. A nice, friendly answer (that often evolves into a spirited discussion) is a good way to help them along, rather than brushing it off as "go search yourself."

Furthermore, the discussions that spring up around such threads, whether they be about beer, mountain lions, the virtues of Bolt Thrower, or a good natured ribbing at everyone's favourite Manchild is all part of community building. This becomes evident at events such as the various jams that you've dismissed as not being important enough, which are a good way to leverage the entire synergies of this community together, to promote the hobby and such matters as the conversation and preservation of wild habitat, water quality, and sane laws for angling and outdoors use.

With that said, if you wish to continue your tirades at me, I welcome you to locate the 50+ page thread in the OT forum entitled "Chit-Chat." You'll find it was created by a moderator with the intention of keeping this sort of thread drift out of the Beginner Forum, and is a fine place for you to continue harraunging people with personal attacks.

Otherwise, perhaps we should continue on. Oh, and if you can think of a way that you want to attempt to utilize the forum as a way to motivate people to do some good for your local community, I doubt that anyone would complain. Rather than disparaging people, perhaps you should try to do something positive?

afishinado wrote:

Yo!...us Easterners know ALL about Erie steelhead fishing!....a bunch of half drunk Yinzers, huddled together shoulder to shoulder flossing stocked, non-native fish in a drainage ditch with bobbers and junk flies.....

Afish, I'm quite offended by this...I'll be completely drunk...not half.

sorry... this is OT...carry on.

Just a shout out of support for the instructional jam, I thought that was a fine event for newcomers, and highlights the educational slant of the board which is highly commendable.

Like anything, it's bound to grow in attendance if it becomes a yearly thing, and I think it should. And unfortunately, I think with the "one speaker, big group" format outdoors we were already straining the limits, beyond which it loses effectiveness. My vote is that it'd be best to split into small groups not just for the afternoon fishing sessions, but also the morning instructional sessions as well. There's nothing set in stone that only one instructor can teach at a time.

Set it up in a "station" setting, so that some stations are ongoing, like the casting with Old Lefty (if he's willing). And have set times for others.

The small group setting would be more educational, and while maybe less structured, would allow instructors to cater to the skill levels at hand at that time. It'd probably also allow more demonstrations rather than a lecture format.

You could also offer more topics that way. For instance, you could split up "techniques" into dry flies, nymphing, streamers, big water, tight brush, and allow demonstrations of casting, etc. in each.

Just a shout out of support for the instructional jam, I thought that was a fine event for newcomers, and highlights the educational slant of the board which is highly commendable. Like anything, it's bound to grow in attendance if it becomes a yearly thing, and I think it should. And unfortunately, I think with the "one speaker, big group" format outdoors we were already straining the limits, beyond which it loses effectiveness. My vote is that it'd be best to split into small groups not just for the afternoon fishing sessions, but also the morning instructional sessions as well. There's nothing set in stone that only one instructor can teach at a time. Set it up in a "station" setting, so that some stations are ongoing, like the casting with Old Lefty (if he's willing). And have set times for others. The small group setting would be more educational, and while maybe less structured, would allow instructors to cater to the skill levels at hand at that time. It'd probably also allow more demonstrations rather than a lecture format. You could also offer more topics that way. For instance, you could split up "techniques" into dry flies, nymphing, streamers, big water, tight brush, and allow demonstrations of casting, etc. in each.

I want this to happen....I would be there for sure!!!

pcray1231 wrote:
Just a shout out of support for the instructional jam, I thought that was a fine event for newcomers, and highlights the educational slant of the board which is highly commendable.

Like anything, it's bound to grow in attendance if it becomes a yearly thing, and I think it should. And unfortunately, I think with the "one speaker, big group" format outdoors we were already straining the limits, beyond which it loses effectiveness. My vote is that it'd be best to split into small groups not just for the afternoon fishing sessions, but also the morning instructional sessions as well. There's nothing set in stone that only one instructor can teach at a time.

Set it up in a "station" setting, so that some stations are ongoing, like the casting with Old Lefty (if he's willing). And have set times for others.

The small group setting would be more educational, and while maybe less structured, would allow instructors to cater to the skill levels at hand at that time. It'd probably also allow more demonstrations rather than a lecture format.

You could also offer more topics that way. For instance, you could split up "techniques" into dry flies, nymphing, streamers, big water, tight brush, and allow demonstrations of casting, etc. in each.

And so it shall be. Good idea, Pat!

There WILL be a 2012 Instructional Mini-Jam, with the above listed improvements. This is just further evidence of the quality and knowledge of the instructors we had. You guys are awesome!

I really hated to cut our speakers short, and this eliminates that problem nicely. We needed a way to allow for more individual questions, and this works. Our goal should be for everyone to come out of this event with all their questions answered completely.

To my knowledge, there is no other forum that provides this exact type of event. We're breaking new ground, and it falls nicely in line with the intentions of Dave Kile when he started PAFF. As long as we stay true to his intentions, we'll be able to offer events that continue to improve the fishing experience for all, and will make us all better anglers. Making new friends and fishing buddies is a bonus!

H.A.

gfen wrote:
I don't even have friends here, thanks for making me feel bad.

Not true - and you know it. Your good nature doesn't always shine through here for some reason, but those of us fortunate enough to call you friend see things differently.

Henceforth, I will no longer make references to you being "sasquatch-like", but instead refer to you as a Wookie. Friendly and caring, but still capable of ripping someone's arms off.... :lol:

Not true - and you know it. Your good nature doesn't always shine through here for some reason, but those of us fortunate enough to call you friend see things differently. Henceforth, I will no longer make references to you being "sasquatch-like", but instead refer to you as a Wookie. Friendly and caring, but still capable of ripping someone's arms off....
:hammer: :lol:

I like the idea you guys got going here. Good stuff, shame I missed the last one. I will do my best to attend this one.

Set a date far enough ahead and I will be there. I can also provide a small PA system with speakers (if needed) and a commercial sized coffee maker with the coffee (definite neccessity). Can even bring cream and sugar for the girls.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
gfen wrote:
I don't even have friends here, thanks for making me feel bad.

Not true - and you know it. Your good nature doesn't always shine through here for some reason, but those of us fortunate enough to call you friend see things differently.

Henceforth, I will no longer make references to you being "sasquatch-like", but instead refer to you as a Wookie. Friendly and caring, but still capable of ripping someone's arms off.... :lol:

True! Teddy Bear in person.........Grizzly Bear on-line.

I am uncomfortable with this thread drift. I can start a fight with someone if it'll get it back on topic. ;-)

BPS wrote:
Set a date far enough ahead and I will be there. I can also provide a small PA system with speakers (if needed) and a commercial sized coffee maker with the coffee (definite neccessity). Can even bring cream and sugar for the girls.

We need you at the annual Spring Jam. The PA and speakers is becoming more of a necessity we have done without.

I have already secured a week of vacation for next spring.

Ed,

Send me a email about this. I just checked my PM's today, sorry.

Tony

Back