Youghiegheny River JAM, June 11

DaveS

DaveS

The Yinzer contingent of PAflyfish would like to extend an invitation to all to join us for a Yough River JAM. If you have never got a chance to experience the enigma that is the Yough, nows your chance. Several menbers will be floating but waders are welcome too. This date is a tad early for the famed "bikini hatch" but still posses the opportunity for sulphers, cahills, isos, possibly Green Drakes, caddis of varing species as well as stoneflies and midges (if you are into that kind of thing) Additionally, streamers have been rumored to produce nice fish on occasion.

Camping and hotel accommodations are available. I may be making a long weekend out of it. Sound off if interested.

Attachments

• Alby_2.JPG
    Alby_2.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 13
  • March_Brown.JPG
    March_Brown.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Yough_AM.JPG
    Yough_AM.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0462.JPG
    DSCF0462.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 4
In for some wade-fishing if anyone can show me where to do it without drowning.

But doubt I can spend the night. Already away from the wife from May 15th through May 25th for the Jam dates, and then 4 more days in Bellefonte so not sure I can do this without divorce papers showing up when I get home...

This is a quick drive for me so I'll definitely get there somehow!

Bruno has been giving me S&^t for a while now about fishing with you guys down there, guess I might have to come on down!

Dave, who's your photo model? I don't even remember the splashy landing pic.

To all, this will be a good time of year on the Yough. We in western PA would like to show you what makes our part of the state special.

With the 17 year cicada emergence predicted for that area this year, yinz guys might want to carry some of those imitations for this trip.

This might even get me out of hibernation...

Dave I'm up for it, I could make it a long weekend too. Norm

Glad to see we're getting some interest...

DanL, I'm not a marriage counselor, in fact I've never been married, but if your wife really loves you, wouldn't she want to you to be happy fishing?

Biker, this is so much easier than Treaster. You can stand up straight and cast.

Alby, photos are from 2013, and 2012. Man how time flies.

Dryflyguy, I think we're too early for the big bombers, but that would be sweet.

David, I usually do well fishing with you, so I hope you can make it!

Norm, you gotta get your toon in the water!

I'll likely stay over at the Ohiopyle campground thru Sunday.

Ya, definitely need to get the toon out !

Does the campground have a website ?

A couple more memories from the Yough including DaveS Yough Ness Monster...
IMG05.jpg

P7270005.jpg

WP_20130817_006.jpg

P6060005.JPG

I hafta check my schedule at work. I think maybe...just maybe I'm on M-F the entire month of June as my responsibilities are changing slightly.

If anyone is on the fence about Youghing out, the boat ride alone is a great experience. The possibility at fat trout is the icing on the cake.

I'll make it for at least 1 day.

I was waiting for this Youghiogheny River Jam call for so long, Dave you read my mind. :-D I thought you moved to Montana, get doctor degree or something, I might drop Yin-zer accent when I see you dude!
Dryflyguy correct: Cicadas are coming to the valley but I think "bikini hatch" at this time would me the more plentiful there. :cool:
So I’m in.

Attachments

• Brown King.jpg
    Brown King.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 5
I am in on this. However the state park camp ground stinks. Sites are crazy close to each other and no beer allowed. We went there with several families last year and the rangers were all over us like ticks bc there was a little wine and beer with dinner.

I had Alby's boat with me and it was hard to park as there were limited parking spots at the sites.

187.50 is the beer drinking fine within the park - just sayin

Scarlett Knob Camp Ground

Benners Meadow Run Camp Ground

Beer drinking fine isn't too bad if you split it six ways...

But seriously, don't drink beer on this float from bottles or cans marked beer. You can get away with a discrete sip from your flask now and again, I recommend rye whiskey.

I have no firsthand knowledge about the campgrounds other than OSP. If anyone can vouch for a clean shower and reasonable rates, I'm cool w/that.

FYI, cicada's started in WV this past weekend. If they're hitting the Yough area I would expect them to start in the next week and last around 4 weeks. You should see the tail end of the emergence potentially.

Have fun... my wife is due June 9th or I'd be there.

I've camped at Scarlett Knob several times and it's good to go. I think there are showers under the main office but I've never used them. I don't shower much. There is also a pond on the property that is nice for panfish on poppers.

Ryan, congratulations sir.

I will be there, but probably not until Sat night or Sunday.
Keep us posted on the arrangements.
I fish the Yough a lot and can probably help with some advice for Yough newbies as far as the Confluence and outflow area go !
Just look for the guy wading with the ever present cigar going !
FYI, there is a very good eating spot called the Lucky Dog Café just steps from the river in Confluence...Great sandwiches and salads etc, , plenty of craft beers, and you can sit outside.

Back