You Know The Creek

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

The tributary was 38 degrees and where it entered the main stem it was 41 degrees. Air temp was as high as 63 degrees. Me SRoach the Prof and my son fished from 11 to 3. SRoach and I volunteered from 9 to 11 in one section of the creek cutting vines that were choking out the trees. I became reacquainted with my chain saw. Had to spend $75 to refurbish it but it was worth every penny. Now I must say SRoach and I spent more time stream side cutting down vines as opposed to other areas of the park. There were BWOs and Midges hatching all over the place. We saw schools of more than 100 Browns most of them small but a good number of 11/12 inchers. We fished drys emergers WWs hares ears but not one caught. I do want to say one thing though. We ran into a Valley Forge TU guy in the parking lot who told us to fish Stone Flies. Said it was the killer fly for this stream. Then he told us to to come to a VFTU meeting and buy some stuff. Yeah...after telling us to use a Fly that would catch no fish and then come to a TU meeting to buy stuff? Foxgap what kind of company are you keeping?

PS Also told us he was in favor of pricker bushes as is it limited pressure on the stream.... yeah I would join this Chapter...Really?

Sounds like you already had your mind made up and nit picked a reason out of an encounter with someone you could blame for your stance. You know if you look hard enough you can find and excuse to satisfy your lack of interest in doing something positive.

IN a volunteer outfit like TU you can pretty much boil the membership down to "lead, follow or get out of the way" You were firmly in the middle class until the last sentence of post one and post two. And that is the meat of TU. Carrying out the vision and leadership decisions of the local chapter. But now you are in the way by trashing a guy for making a joke about pricker bushes.

Seems the 2 hours I spent cleaning out stream side vines must have gotten overlooked. I appreciate all acts of volunteering. Only the IRS knows what I do with TU and other charities. Maurice I have met 100s of anglers. This guy was different. Telling us to fish stone flies on Valley was downright wrong. PS That was no joke he made about the pricker bushes...he was dead serious. He specifically stated he did not want anglers in the subject matter stream.

Sometimes "volunteers" can grow a little power happy. Let me give you an example I have come across in my career. Have you ever had to deal with a Zoning Board/Condo Association? They are volunteers. And they pass Commy like laws/regulations like what color trash can you have to use...not allowing rabbits as pets not allowing perimeter fences....I could go on and on. Are zoning boards important? Sure they are...take a ride through the Poconos to see that...but the point I am trying to make is that no matter how altruistic the motive of volunteering is...some "volunteers" see it as entitlement and self aggrandizement . Nobody is going to tell me I can't fish a public stream that is not posted by the landowner.

No, I mentioned the bisque....."You were firmly in the middle class " (Following) Yadda, yadda....

fadeaway263 wrote:
Nobody is going to tell me I can't fish a public stream that is not posted by the landowner.

Kudos for helping to clear brush - TU volunteers do thousands of hours of this sort of thing across the state. However, you might wish to keep in mind that TU and other similar volunteers are often working (out of sight from non-members) in outreach to landowners etc. You may think you've got every right to fish there but don't be surprised if that access has been coordinated - sometimes with considerable difficulty and patience - by TU volunteers. While I'll confess to not being familiar with the exact details of this particular situation, might I humbly suggest that before you broad brush VFTU in the same vein with zoning boards antics.....that you might care to join 'em for awhile and see what they're really all about. You don't have to agree with every chapter policy (most of don't). Give TU a chance, and I think your views with respect to private land access may become more nuanced.

Maurice wrote:
No, I mentioned the bisque....."You were firmly in the middle class " (Following) Yadda, yadda....

I love that show.

FI: At my age I volunteer with my wallet. I donate to TU and give more that the hat is worth. And yes I appreciate the work of the local TUs as well. Maybe when I retire and have more time I will look that way. I am sure there are some guys in VFTU that are in their sixties. I think the guy I met yesterday may have been in his 60s [might explain his cantankerous demeanor] but I suspect most members are a tad younger.

Fishidiot wrote:
fadeaway263 wrote:
Nobody is going to tell me I can't fish a public stream that is not posted by the landowner.

Kudos for helping to clear brush - TU volunteers do thousands of hours of this sort of thing across the state. However, you might wish to keep in mind that TU and other similar volunteers are often working (out of sight from non-members) in outreach to landowners etc. You may think you've got every right to fish there but don't be surprised if that access has been coordinated - sometimes with considerable difficulty and patience - by TU volunteers. While I'll confess to not being familiar with the exact details of this particular situation, might I humbly suggest that before you broad brush VFTU in the same vein with zoning boards antics.....that you might care to join 'em for awhile and see what they're really all about. You don't have to agree with every chapter policy (most of don't). Give TU a chance, and I think your views with respect to private land access may become more nuanced.
:roll:

fade - like any other group, VFTU has a spectrum of folks, and their flavor varies from day to day. But you should know, and you should always remember, that several of your favorite named or un-named streams would NOT, repeat NOT NOT NOT, enjoy their quality of habitat and trouty life, if it not were for the past and continuing most prodigious efforts of VFTU as a whole.

tl
les

I am aware of that Les. Matter of fact Afish sent me a PM that has completely changed my perspective on steam sharing. I now realize that in some instances there is a better good to be served. I just don't know how you can defend a guy that on a day as gorgeous as yesterday was, deliberately tells a fellow angler to fish a non productive fly. By the way I know his name and for peace and harmony I will not "out" him. Truth be told, with the lack of fish the 4 of us caught we may as well have been fishing stoners :lol:

I've never had much luck with the early stonefly imitations, but I've heard many people say they do well with imitations of the little early stoneflies this time of year.

So, he may be have been completely sincere about using that fly pattern.

Regarding streamside vegetation management, there are many different (but sincerely held) differences about that, too.

Some people think all non-native vegetation should be removed. Other people think vigorous vegetation is good for the stream, whether non-native or native, so it's best to not cut it.

Stone Flys on Valley equal no fish. PS Where has all this bamboo come from?

Asia

Send it back. Seriously Mo is York County being attacked with bamboo like I am seeing here in Delco and Chesco?

Seriously? Your cutting down stream side brush? Why are you doing that?

WHAT??? Oh excuse me you have waders that are impervious to intense thorns? Where do I buy them?

fadeaway263 wrote:
Stone Flys on Valley equal no fish. PS Where has all this bamboo come from?

He may have been completely sincere on both counts, both the fly advice, and the vegetation advice.

You disagree with his opinions on both the fly and the vegetation.

But that's a different question. You represented it as if he was being a jerk. But it's quite possible that you and he simply have different opinions on fly choice and riparian vegetation management.

fadeaway263 wrote:
Send it back. Seriously Mo is York County being attacked with bamboo like I am seeing here in Delco and Chesco?

We have a few groves of bamboo on Muddy. Not in the FFO area though. Its actually a pretty good bank stabilization plant. Not that I encourage it but it is hearty. and it doesnt lose leaves in winter. SO there is that. (shade)

It is also very difficult to eradicate multifloral rose and other invasive pricker bushes. You can cut them back but they come back. You need to remove them by digging out the entire root system. then replant.

So, let me get this straight. To make your fishing experience better you cut streamside brush and you use a chainsaw and machete? Your a wonderful stream steward.

Nick,

I think Fade was using the chainsaw to cut vines hanging from trees as part of a volunteer effort sponsored by VFTU. There is value value in that because they will eventually kill mature trees near streams. Saving a mature tree is much more valuable than the planting new ones. (on the short term) And still you would have to maintain the new plantings.

I don't see any reason why trimming back brush away from the immediate stream side is damaging. Even along streams the root systems carry substantial value whether native or invasive.

Multifloral rose thrives on the woodlot edges. If you are caught in a bramble, back up and go deeper into the woods and you will likely be around it in no time. It doesn't like shade.

Back