You Know The Creek

Thanks Maurice that is all I wanted to know but it sounds like he is cutting down prickers to protect his waders and not so much vines to help the stream and trees... his words not mine. Fadeaway, last time I check pricker bushes don't bring down trees.

""""WHAT??? Oh excuse me you have waders that are impervious to intense thorns? Where do I buy them?""""

WAIT... so your not chopping prickers and vines to help the stream out? Oh my bad, Fade. You post bull snot and people are going to call you on it.. guess you thought you were being witty?

Ahhhhhhhhhh, nice to see that you can go away for one weekend and nothing changes. Carry on boys.

Fade, why were you clearing brush? Was there a TU work weekend or did you do this on your own?

BTW Fade, I'm sure my brother VFTU member had no idea you fished downstream or he would never have suggested a stoner.

Let's get out soon. :)

"saw schools of more than 100 Browns ...."

uh huh... no bears? :)

"WHAT??? Oh excuse me you have waders that are impervious to intense thorns?"

si, waders under turtleskin snake gaitors...

Schools of 100 browns, gill nets, and bllions of krayfish eggs.

I know VFTU will be planting trees (opposite of Fade) this Saturday 3/16. I met a few members a couple weeks ago and I plan to attend..I don't think this clearing brush idea was a"sponsored event" by VFTU. I can see clearing out a few things but taking a chainsaw there and clearing it is beyond ridiculous.....In fact it may be a violation....should check with DEP/CCCD before you work/alter a HQ/EV watershed.....

Nick,

If you read the beginning of the thread you would have read that him and I volunteered a few hours of our morning clearing vines that attach trees.

We cleaned up some pricker bushes in one spot to get a little easier access to the stream. Like Maurice said, they will be back before spring is over.

It was just a really nice day to be outside all day.

Guys, be nice to Fade. He wields a chainsaw like a ninja, also you can see in the second pic what we were dealing with:
phototfl.jpg

photo2qd.jpg

Easy gentlemen...

Hey GovtMule,

It wasn't a VFTU even but a Valley Forge Preserve event, we were not cutting tree's we were cutting vines that invade the trees.

If you wield a chainsaw and start cutting vines down on someone else's property you should check with the owner first. They might not want that done.

Again, we were cutting vines in one of the preserves owned by the Open Land Conservancy.

Steve, what the conservancy gets is access to the land, they don't (to the best of my knowledge) own the land. I'd be very careful about cutting anything on that land without permission even if your heart was in the right place. I know when the VFTU does it, they do it in conjunction with the conservancy not on their own.

If it was an approved event from the owner then I stand corrected.....I will say there's absolutely no reason for this "look at me" post anyways. One thing that the nuns actually taught me was that when you do good deeds there's no reason to broadcast it and tell everyone about it....defeats the purpose.

Hey Fox,

Talking with the guys, either by gift or donation they are the owners of the land:

https://openlandconservancy.org/Chronology.html

I don't usually get involved in this stuff, but the misinformation in this thread is off the charts. The Open Land Conservancy of Chester County owns the preserve and sponsored the vine cutting on its land. This is pretty easy to check out.

"One thing that the nuns actually taught me was that when you do good deeds there's no reason to broadcast"

agree with GM, and I seldom agreed with Sister Jean Patrice :)

Actually Fox it was not a VFTU outing. It was a volunteer effort organized by one of the Preserves. Each Preserve has a supervisor who organizes a vine cutting day throughout that particular Preserve. As you know there are 8 Preserves and each of the 8 Supervisors attends the other's Vine Cutting Day. Some of these vines are a good 6 inches wide. We were instructed not to pull them out of the trees after we cut them. Forgot to ask why. As I said earlier, for our own selfish reasons, SRoach and I concentrated our efforts along the stream. As Maurice noted some of these trees were literally choking to death in the upper branch area. As for the prickers and that comment that I post "bull snot" we were simply pruning them back to boot top level so as not to disturb the root system. As for the vines...they were prolific. Amazing how many you start seeing when you are lazered in on finding them. Must be something about that area because when I walked my dog on Sunday along the Rocky Run trail in Middletown Delco I noticed there were no where near as many vines as in those Preserves. There is another Vine Cutting Day in April. PM me for details.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Ahhhhhhhhhh, nice to see that you can go away for one weekend and nothing changes. Carry on boys.

Fade, why were you clearing brush? Was there a TU work weekend or did you do this on your own?

BTW Fade, I'm sure my brother VFTU member had no idea you fished downstream or he would never have suggested a stoner.

Let's get out soon. :)

englishprof wrote:
I don't usually get involved in this stuff, but the misinformation in this thread is off the charts. The Open Land Conservancy of Chester County owns the preserve and sponsored the vine cutting on its land. This is pretty easy to check out.

I, too, stand corrected. Do you guys hire out? I got crap in my yard that needs cutting. :)

Back