York Co. wild trout streams revisited

M

Mike

It is a shame that the thread about York Co wild trout streams went so far afield because it has always amazed me that other than a famous one or two they really don't receive much play on this board. While I can only speak for the Codorus and Muddy Creek drainages, and surrounding tribs that go directly to the lower Susquehanna, there are certainly more than enough wild brown trout named streams (mainly) and unnamed tribs to keep an angler busy. Some are very scenic. I can easily think of at least 21, and that is without really trying too hard. Why don't I name them???? It is not for fear of angling pressure; it is out of respect for the anglers who found these waters the hard way.

Mike, if you are looking for a project, name 21 wild trout streams that have more than one 8" or larger fish per mile within one hour of Pittsburgh....

Jack,

I hear you. My first summer of employment with the PFC in 1976 was spent in large part surveying warmwater streams and rivers all across Pa. I spent a lot of time in SW Pa. on the Yough, Mon, S Fork of Ten Mile, Ten Mile, and Dunkard. I did not see too many trout, or trouty looking water, even at the mouths of tribs. Since that time I have learned about the Laurel Highlands, however.

Mike

We have wild trout. Unfortunately, very few of the streams that hold them are sufficiently fertile to support a strong forage base. There are some very nice brookie streams of both sides of the Laurel and Chestnut Ridges, but I can only think of two where you have a reasonable shot at a larger trout. Anyhow, I was just "poking my stick in the cage" as Maurice says, since I constantly hear how deprived the SEPa area is in terms of quality wild trout fishing.

Jack, I spent about 10 weeks last year in SW PA and I can tell you that the streams I fished are NOT lacking in fertility, what they are lacking is a catch and release ethic. Everyone out there it seems wants their limit. When I see a bunch of streams that have green drakes in fishable numbers, I honestly don't think fertility is a problem.

mike,

i thank you for not naming the wild trout streams in the area of york county that u are familiar with. though i dont see a problem on the pm side of doing things, u know how the internet can be. you are right in sayin that there are more than enough wild trout streams in york county with wild brown trout to keep anyangler easily happy. they are also very beautiful and the scenery can be very breathtaking. i to also was sad to see the york county wild trout streams thread go the direction that it did. i was having fun reporting and sharing my exploring experiences out that way. a shame to because my exploring has come to and end for a little while and i hope to get back to it soon. as i to "bash" the pfbc too sometimes, i do respect the job that u guys do. this area has so much more of a population of people and it doesnot have as many streams as other regions. i would like to personally thank you and the other fisheries biologist for trying to take care of our resources. even when i do not always agree with the "general" or overall decsions made by the PFBC. Also Mike, what did you think of that fish? it was gorgous! if you want to know the stream to survey let me know, as i feel it could be class a.

jack,

not to start an arguement but there are not as many wild trout streams in the sepa region as opposed to the nepa , ncpa , and in fact most regions. dont forget that york county IS NOT a sepa region county. it is a SCPA region county. with tha said why dont u take you"stick" and poke it in the direction of fixing wild trout streams in your area. i would find that more effective than trying to defeat or hinder the confidence of others trying to do the same in the sepa region.

again go explore your local wild trout streams if anyone has not done so....u may be pleasently suprised! :-D

Back