Yellow Breeches Outfitters is Closed

as noted above, comments from one person will be all over the place, but I have shopped tco bryn mawr for years, not really spent that much, and received some good service and advice... just my opinion of course..

Congratulations Tony! You already know how I feel about TCO.

Troy

BrookieChaser wrote:
Did a tweed-wearing fly fisherman push you down and snap your Ugly Stick when you were a kid?

Now that's funny. No tweed wearing fly fishermen could get away with breaking my ugly stick.

I must admit that I do have some animosity towards some fly fishermen. The ones who feel they are the upper echelon of the fishing world are what kept me from picking up a fly rod sooner in life. Im just trying to mainstream fly fishing and make the average blue collar guy pick up a fly rod earlier in life.

First and foremost I do not label myself as a fly fishermen. I'm just a simple fishermen. I enjoy all kinds of fishing including ice fishing which currently has me occupied. I enjoy fly fishing as much as I enjoy ice fishing, saltwater fishing and fishing for the lowly catfish. I enjoy this site because of the wealth of fly fishing knowledge here. I also enjoy other sites for their ice fishing knowledge, saltwater knowledge and the such. If others enjoy fly fishing only that's great but I enjoy it all and at times it grates on me when certain people refer to bait fishing, spin fishing, and ugly sticks in a less than regal manner.

Tcotony, since you were 20 huh. That's impressive. I'm sure you didn't get where you are now with poor customer service. Some people just ant be pleased. Any chance you can branch out to bucks county?

It'll be a brick and mortar location, and that means something in today's world of online everything. As much as I love the guys at the BassPro fly shop, their material selection is lacking. It'll be nice that TCO has quality materials. Even better since Bubbletown is less than a five minute drive for me. Although, they will be lacking that Gary Toner charm hahaha.

It's always sad to see a local fly shop close. That said, I think its good that TCO is coming in and reopening this shop. I've had great experiences at the State College store and online. George, Harry, and Paul (before he left) were always very helpful with flies and access/parking. They have an excellent selection of tying materials and full fly bins, and the state college store has a full inventory of gear. The customer service is great, especially with returns and exchanges which not the kind of service you normally get at a fly shop.

Those who don't like the idea of TCO opening in this location don't seem to acknowledge that a TCO shop (a local PA business) is much better than no fly shop at all!

poopdeck wrote:
BrookieChaser wrote:
Did a tweed-wearing fly fisherman push you down and snap your Ugly Stick when you were a kid?

Now that's funny. No tweed wearing fly fishermen could get away with breaking my ugly stick.

I must admit that I do have some animosity towards some fly fishermen. The ones who feel they are the upper echelon of the fishing world are what kept me from picking up a fly rod sooner in life. Im just trying to mainstream fly fishing and make the average blue collar guy pick up a fly rod earlier in life.

I can respect that, man. I like people, like myself, who are not afraid to walk their own line and speak their mind.

I was just making light of a general observation based on your posts I've read.

By the way... I own two Ugly Sticks. I still use the one for catfish. I keep them locked up in my shop so no one sees them. Hahaha!

As a business owner myself put my business into an area with two other business' doing the same exact thing I do.

I didn't do it to cut down local business. I did it becsuse I'm an opportunist and knew there was enough local money to sustain 3 shops. If you will.

For those who do not own a business I challenge you to make super big investments and go home at night, lay down to sleep and try and turn business "off".

Anyone who is successful doesn't turn it off. We can't turn it off. We keep moving forward and opening new doors.

I am not local to the new store but I have alot of respect for someone doing what they love.

Just keep an open perspective is what I'm asking

boychick wrote:
Those who don't like the idea of TCO opening in this location don't seem to acknowledge that a TCO shop (a local PA business) is much better than no fly shop at all!

My thoughts exactly.

I've only been to the State College location but have had nothing but good experiences each time.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had to pick up some tying materials today and had a great visit at TCO Bryn Mawr. Thanks to Jared and Grady for shooting the breeze and helping me out. Tony, good luck on the new store, I wish you well and know how much effort is put into your business.

I am glad TCO is moving into that spot. I'm sorry for Rowland that it didn't work out as you won't find a nicer guy. It will be even better if Jake is going to run that shop for TCO. Can't wait till it is up and running.

I can't imagine that building without a fly shop in it. The first one I ever set foot in as a kid, around 1978, after attending a wedding at Allenberry. I have only had a few TCO experiences, all positive, and welcome their venture in Boiling Springs. Like some of the posters here, I thought the State College venture was a little too "close to home" because I have a strong affection for FFP since their days in Lemont, but some of the TCO bashing- comparing them to big box stores- is just ridiculous. My hat is off to anyone putting product on the shelf and boots on the ground.

Tony, you're great. I used to stop in once-in-a-while when I lived in Bethlehem. I don't know that there are any fly shops left in the Lehigh Valley. Anyway, I distinctly remember you talking to, or, better yet, talked to, by someone who has been told too often that whatever they do, they are good at it. He was bloviating to you about a day nymphing on Fishing Creek, I believe in Lamar. He was B.S.ing, but didn't know enough about his subject to know we would know he was B.S.ing. He was talking about some inconseqential detail about one nymph that was triggering strikes but with out this appendage that he believed resembled the head of the nymph, the trout would have nothing to do with the fly. You went right along with him, not questioning a word of it. So, you're quite a sport, a jolly good bloke and all.
And your stores are top-notch. It's not your fault that SIMMS charges $54 for a hoodie or fly rods can cost $800. It's people's fault for buying such rediculous extravagances.

JBeary

The last comment I wanted to make here is to reply to PCRAY1231. Thanks for your support and kind words... although, I am curious as to why you think TCO is not "fishy"??! We have the MOST fishy guys anywhere on our staff!! George Daniel... TOTALLY fishy, Jake Villwock (which by the way, will be running the fly shop part of this store)... MOST Fishy.. and on and on.. Trust me, my staff fishes more than any single person I ever met. Wait till you come in and talk with them. Read Jakes Blog....i think you will agree with me.

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_Blog_Jake.cfm

I just want to know, IS TCO coming to the Lehigh Valley?

TCO,

I'm not sure where that comment is coming from. When did I say anything about "fishiness"?

I guess it's from the "trout bum" comment in #81. It's not to say your employees aren't knowledgable about fishing, or don't fish. I actually gave your employees props for being knowledgable.

It's more to say the "atmosphere" of the shops themselves seem a lot more, umm, professional than many small fully independent shops. There's ads to sign up for excursions to Patagonia. Everything is always stocked. It's always open when it's supposed to be. There aren't always areas of the shop "under construction".

There's a certain counter-culture allure to showing up at a fly shop to a sign that says "if shop door is locked, knock on my house door". Going in and finding a tying bench that frankly, looks like mine. Asking if they have any of the hot fly and them saying no, but if I'm willing to wait for 20 minutes he'll whip a few up and throw in a few extras for the trouble. And oh yeah, don't worry about that leaking roof over there.

Being a more "professional" outfit should be viewed as a good thing from a business sense. But there's part of us crazy fishermen who view the less organized guy as more of one of us, if you know what I mean. He's not trying to run a successful business and in "business mode" all the time. He's just carrying on with his life. And we like him for that, because the whole FF experience is us stepping out of our "business mode" and entering a different world than what we're used to.

I wouldn't expect you to try to replicate that. I wouldn't in your shoes! Just that we'll see you as more of a serious business and occasionally get a little wistful of the less serious ones. You're not Cabela's. But you're not "Joe's Fly Shop & Deli" either. Something in between is fine.

pcray1231 wrote:
TCO,

I'm not sure where that comment is coming from. When did I say anything about "fishiness"?

Dang - I was looking forward to a lecture on the "coefficient of fishiness."

I'm disappointed man! Real disappointed.
:cool:

Tony,
Welcome and best wishes in your movement into the Cumberland Valley. I've been visiting YBO for over 30 years and look forward to continuing to shop there.

It's gonna be great.
DaveW

TCOtony wrote:
The last comment I wanted to make here is to reply to PCRAY1231. Thanks for your support and kind words... although, I am curious as to why you think TCO is not "fishy"??! We have the MOST fishy guys anywhere on our staff!! George Daniel... TOTALLY fishy, Jake Villwock (which by the way, will be running the fly shop part of this store)... MOST Fishy.. and on and on.. Trust me, my staff fishes more than any single person I ever met. Wait till you come in and talk with them. Read Jakes Blog....i think you will agree with me.

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_Blog_Jake.cfm

GD is a great guy. Always gives sound advice, would never know who he is seeing him walking down the street.

Don't let anyone deter what is undoubtedly a good thing. ive been in the state college store and have had nothing but a great experience. I can only imaging that service will move on to the new location.

And in no time, everyone will forget about the "professional" stigma... lol

Jake will be a great fit at the Boiling Springs store.

Back