Yellow Breeches Outfitters is Closed

troutbert wrote:
poopdeck wrote:
Maybe I'm out of touch, maybe I just don't get it but who goes into a fly shop or any retail shop wanting to be made to feel special.

I'm not sure what "wanting to be made to feel special" is even referring to. Something in a previous post?

Refraining from rudeness from someone I'm handing money to is about all I expect.

But I do expect that.

And even if that's all I really expect, I think there's no question that some of the people who work in fly shops who really enjoy talking to people, who are naturally sociable, are good story tellers etc. are a huge benefit to a fly shop, or any retailer.

I used the term, when referring to creating an establishment where customers are made to feel special. I should perhaps define special a bit more; I don't mean. It is the type of service a customer receives where the service provider gives them their undivided attention (no yakking on the phone, or texting, or hobknobbing with fellow employees). It is the waiter or waitress that goes above and beyond to make sure that your meal is as ordered, your drinks are filled, and that any delays in your order are promptly communicated to you. It is the checkout clerk that is not looking bored, chewing gum, leaning against the edge of the checkout lane and talking to the clerk in the next register over. In short it is any customer service that leaves the customer feeling like the service provider actually wants their business and is willing to provide the customer with their attention.

If you expect that someone refrains from rudeness, many establishments can meet that criteria and there's not much to differentiate provider A and provider B. But if someone goes above and beyond that, to make sure that your needs are met, you'll likely take notice and go back to that establishment.

Dang poopdeck, with all your animosity towards anything fly fishing (attitudes, spending habits, gear prices, shops, etc) I'm surprised you can tolerate posting here.

Did a tweed-wearing fly fisherman push you down and snap your Ugly Stick when you were a kid?

First and foremost I would like to thank all of you for the kind words that you wrote about TCO, my staff and the way I choose to run my business. This is my 25th year in business and I truly value each and every customer that supports my shops.

For those that have had a less than desirable experience, I am sorry! I truly mean that... for those of you that know me, I take great pride in making sure that everyone is treated like an "old friend"... we strive to learn our customers names and embrace the stories and times spent together. It upsets me when I read some of the things I have read here. I know that we can't please everyone all the time... but we really try!

To set the record straight, we (I) am NOT a franchise. I started this business when I was 20 years old... lived at home to make ends meet and worked as hard as I could to keep the doors open... and my dream alive. I am blessed to have what I believe is the BEST team in this industry!! You wont find a better group of fisherman anywhere. This is why we are the largest independent fly shop in the US. These guys have to hear me talk about customer service, pride in the work place, dedication to the brand... and so much more on a daily basis.

Our intent for the store in Boiling Springs is to recreate the past! I want to pay homage to the greats that inspired me when i was a kid. This store will be something that everyone can/will be proud of... even those of you that still dont believe in TCO or what we have done.

As for Rowland... he is an upstanding person and a friend of mine since we had the store in Carlisle. I am happy that he can now have time to fish and enjoy himself. I am sure you will see him in the store from time to time.

I look forward to meeting a lot of new friends and spending more time in this amazing location.

Tony Gehman

Good move posting that, Tony. I've been in your shop in Reading a few times and Bryn Mawr once. Last year, I wanted a new vest and Bryn Mawr was the only shop nearby that stocked the one I wanted. Notice I didn't write "need". Anyway, bought it and a few other things. The two young guys there were great. Was also treated well in Reading each time.

Looking forward to seeing the new shop that location and area has some of the deepest roots of our sport's history. I think it makes a lot of sense for you guys to be doing this. That area needs a well run, well stocked fly shop. Good luck!

CRB wrote:
I would rather order online what I want.

I would rather phsically see and even inspect what I am buying. The TCO shop in Reading has become my "go to" shop for tying materials. I was always impressed with their selection that they have in stock. It is very rare that I can't find what I am looking for or a very close substitute which in some cases turns out to be even better than what I was originally looking for. The staff doesn't "hawk over" you but they are definitely there to help you when you need it. I'm sure that the new shop in Boiling Springs will be well run. Good luck, Tony.

Can't wait for the opening of the shop Tony. In the past I have been very satisfied with TCO's customer service and selection. I am sure you guys will make a great fit in the town and a great takeover of the shop. I do have a question, I was wondering why it won't open until 2016? Thanks and Good Luck.

I'm really looking forward to the new shop. I stop at the state college location 3 or 4 times a year but now I will have a full service store right where i fish, nice!

Thanks guys... I too am very excited about this location. We have been wanting to open here for about 10 years. As for the time frame... we need to TOTALLY rebuild that building. New roof, siding, floor, walls, etc. When we are done, it will look amazing... it is just going to take some time. My dad always taught me that if something was worth doing, then its worth doing right! This is TOTALLY worth doing... and we will do it right. I cant wait for you all to see the new place. We will be posting pictures here and on our site as well as our social media outlets of the progress.
Again, thank you so much for your support. It means the world to me.
Tony

The Internet has really put a damper on the small mom and pop flyshops.
If I want to learn how to cast or tie a fly, youtube has it all.
If I have a question or want a fishing report, there is nothing better than this website. Hands down, what a wealth of information you can get from here.
I buy all my stuff online. If I get a chance to go to a Penn State game, I may stop at TCO in state college.
But I do miss hanging out at a flyshop from time to time.
I wish TCO would put a flyshop in the williamsport area. No shop within 30 miles of me.

Listen, the internet IS great, but you ain't learning half of what you learn when you get out with other fly fishermen fishing together, or even out fishing by yourself. As far as buying stuff online, yeah I buy a lot online, but my online experiences haven't come close to the kind of experiences I have in actual fly shops with other fishermen, store owners, etc.

TCO is solid. We had a fly shop in Lancaster that suffered, I think, from upscale snobbery. Maybe that was just my perspective at that time in my life, so I could be wrong. But when I would go to TCO, I never felt like a chump, even in my early days of FFing.

I think the internet is great since I do not tie my own flies. That being said, I keep my boat at a marina that opens at 3:00 am, will fill my boat, put bait in my cooler and hoagies in my fridge before we even arrive. Most fly shops I visit open at 9am, way to late for people traveling to fish a specific stream for the day. Tough business for sure but better customer service and customer friendly hours I think would help them.

TCOtony wrote:
This is why we are the largest independent fly shop in the US.

In today's age of "big box" stores and the internet, this is quite an accomplishment! Personally speaking, living in Mount Joy, working in Hanover, and fishing the CV area streams, I'll be visiting your shop when it comes "online". I've been to the Reading store a few times, but it's the opposite direction for me. The Boiling Springs shop will be a much better fit. I'd much rather give "the little guy" my fly fishing dollars...

Tony, I wouldn't worry too much about the negative comments in this thread. There was really only one person complaining and he never gave any specifics about what his gripes actually were. You'll never make everyone happy no matter how hard you try. Keep up the good work.

Welcome Tony. I am very excited about TCO coming to Boiling Springs. Keeping brick and mortar open today has to be very challenging and you obviously have it figured out. I supported YBO and look forward to supporting you. I hope you continue and perhaps expand upon Rowland's Montana trip. It was an incredible deal and great time. Now hurry up and get to work!

To set the record straight, we (I) am NOT a franchise. I started this business when I was 20 years old... lived at home to make ends meet and worked as hard as I could to keep the doors open... and my dream alive.

Congrats, Tony. This part of it was aimed at me, and just to clear the air, I wasn't intending to tear you down. If anything, I wanted to tell the story of really wanting to dislike what you've built over the State College location thing, but in the end, really struggling to find much else to dislike! The other minor gripes I had are pretty common to most shops, and as I said, I suspect more a necessity on your part to be able to compete with the Cabela's and Bass Pro's of the world.

But I will say I still see you as somewhere in between a small local independent and a mega franchise. It's a testament to your success. Most of the mega giants out there in any business started off small. You did tip your hand a bit:

dedication to the brand

My mental image of the independent local fly shop does not include brand building.

But I also have enough business sense to realize I can't have it both ways. Success means growing. If my mental image of the shops I really like came true, it's essentially saying that I don't want fly shops to fail, but I don't want them to succeed either. You've succeeded. Congrats again.

(When in State College, I'll remain loyal to FFP. Not a cut to your SC staff who are top notch. I simply consider the FFP guys to be friends. Elsewhere, I have no problems giving you my business)

Thanks guys... I appreciate your comments. I don't get to spend as much time in the stores as I used to. I now manage all the online experiences as well as overall business management. I sometimes feel out of touch by not being able to talk to all of you in the store... but I truly know that my team upholds the TCO Vision and brand as I would. Again, thank you for your support.
Tony

pcray- You may have noticed that unless a business is growing/changing/expanding it is usually becoming stagnant and dying. I salute any businesses that can expand in the current economy. It looks like TCO is an example of doing this while being mindful of it's roots.

pcray- You may have noticed that unless a business is growing/changing/expanding it is usually becoming stagnant and dying. I salute any businesses that can expand in the current economy. It looks like TCO is an example of doing this while being mindful of it's roots.

Oh, agreed, and I acknowledged as much with this:

But I also have enough business sense to realize I can't have it both ways. Success means growing. If my mental image of the shops I really like came true, it's essentially saying that I don't want fly shops to fail, but I don't want them to succeed either.

It seems, in this particular business, the shops I truly LOVE are stagnant and dying, lol. But it's kind of true, and YBO is a great example. I guess my personal viewpoint is that FF is an escape from business for me. As such, there's a part me that resists viewing the industry surrounding it as a business as well, but prefers a trout bum who doesn't care about success in a classical sense, but rather just wants to scrape by to enable a certain lifestyle. Those are guys that a part of me looks up to. They may not be as successful, as judged by society, but they've chosen a life that a big part of me is envious of. I can't help but to respect the heck out of them for it.

TCO is clearly a business that is out to succeed. A good one, and in anything else usually the type that I admire. It's not a condemnation of how good he's doing at it, if anything, quite the opposite. But the "trout bum" aspect is missing. It's just me wrestling with the concept that my "counter culture" pursuit is actually mainstream tourism, and that an industry has every right to mine every dollar it can get from me. My mind fully agrees with Tony. My heart is still on the fence.

Back