WTB: Rod and Reel for Erie Steelhead

drakeking412

drakeking412

As the title says looking for a 7wt in 9' or 9'6" and a reel to go with it. My budget is around $200-300 ish for the rod and closer to 200 for the reel. Also I need line suggestions, I've heard varying things from people. Thanks everyone for the help!

If I had to do it over I would get a 10ft 7wt.

Not looked for gear for years but my recommendation is spend more money on the reel than rod.

Essentially your just roll casting nymphs and I can do that with any old rod.

Years ago I got a Orvis tls 9ft 8wt for steel and light saltwater with a large arbor reel.

Good luck.

thanks for the tips cristic, i was thinking about stepping up to the 10' but I've heard not to also. Any good reel recommendations? I have an Orvis Hydros on my 5wt which is nice but so far I've just been looking at the Yellowstone shootout gear

Can’t really say anything about gear cause I havent bought a rod or reel in many years.

Why not a 10 foot?

I don’t own any 10 footers but as far as steelhead fishing I don’t see much of a downside- since it’s really nymph/egg fishing. The 10 footer would allow a longer reach. May want to post in gear forum.

You asked for tips and advice so I'll add my thoughts. I've been fishing for Erie (OH & PA) steelhead for 13 years so I pretty much know my way around the waters and how to catch fish. For most of those 13 years I used either a 9' #7 or a 9' #6. To tell you the truth I've never had a problem landing any steelhead with the #6 rod. I like the #7 because I can roll cast more weight, and indicator, and two flies easier, and farther, with the #7 rod/line. That being said the PA steelhead streams are quite small with most being 20' - 30' at the widest so you can use a 9' - 10' #6 rod and do fine. Actually I started to use a Gatti 10' #7 in the fall of 2018 and really like it a lot. I line I use is a SA Mastery Textured #7 Nymph/Indicator line. I can easily roll cast a 3/4" Air Lock indicator, a couple split shot and 2 nymphs 30' -35' all day with no fatigue at all and I'm by no means a strong guy. The rod in the picture is the Gatti 10' #7.

My advice would be to look at rods in Cabela's in the length range you mentioned and I'm sure you will find a suitable rod. Regarding the reel almost any modern disc drag reel will tame Steelhead Alley chrome. Once in awhile a hot fish might put you into the backing if there is enough water for it to run but most fish will be whipped in less than five minutes and runs of no more than 30'. If you would like me to help you select a rod, reel, and line you can PM me. I have a rod I'd be willing to sell.

PS - I have a Redington 10' 6" #6 line rod for sale in the Swap Forum.

Attachments

• Resized_20181030_142207(2) (400x300).jpg
    Resized_20181030_142207(2) (400x300).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4
I have a new Orvis Clearwater (new model) 9ft 7wt. Pm me if that is something your interested in.

I have a St. Croix Imperial 9ft 7wt and a Lamson Guru II. The rod has been used once or twice and the reel just a few more times. Let me know if interested.

Did you get your steelhead rod yet? If not see the Swap Forum. I'm selling a 9' #8 2 piece almost new rod. If you are a decent caster you can easily go down one line weight to a WF #7. The cost is under your budget.

wbranch wrote:
Did you get your steelhead rod yet? If not see the Swap Forum. I'm selling a 9' #8 2 piece almost new rod. If you are a decent caster you can easily go down one line weight to a WF #7. The cost is under your budget.

I did not as of yet but I'm still a novice at casting so I want to stick with the 10' 7wt. I actually have something in the works to stay under budget haha. Thanks for the offer though!

Drakeking,

You will be happy with the 10' #7. That is the setup I use on streams 50' and wider. I can throw huge mends easily and I can roll cast 40' quite easily with two flies, a BB or two, and the indicator. It's also a great rod for swinging a fly.

krott243 wrote:
I have a new Orvis Clearwater (new model) 9ft 7wt. Pm me if that is something your interested in.

do you still have this available?

I do, I will message you.

I have a Winston BIIx 10' 7wt that has been my go to steelhead rod the past several seasons. Not doing as much steelheading so would be willing to part with it. It's in great shape but does have some wear on the cork. No hook keeper so cork handle is the next best thing. Thinking around $300.

Back