Wild trout streams that get stocked question

I agree with Hyner...I've heard Bakers Run is probably on the chopping block for stockies.

Baker will go far before Hyner, just because of the state of the road back in there. Hyner I’m sure gets much more angler usage with it’s easier access, which equals pressure to keep stocking it.

That being said, and despite the above, Hyner is still the better wild Trout stream of the two. Go figure. Geology I suspect.

That would be a shame. All of these streams in fairly remote areas that have wild/native trout populations just shouldn't be getting stocked.
Its a good thing...Bakers will no longer be stocked. Its like fishing in your bath tub. Hopefully wild brookies can retake that stream.

Its a good thing...Bakers will no longer be stocked. Its like fishing in your bath tub. Hopefully wild brookies can retake that stream.

The last time I fished it, in pretty good conditions, in June, I caught mostly stockers still. A few (about 50/50 mix) wild Browns and Brookies, but mostly stockers. Fairly far back in there too. It’s not high on the list for a return trip.

The last time I fished it, in pretty good conditions, in June, I caught mostly stockers still. A few (about 50/50 mix) wild Browns and Brookies, but mostly stockers. Fairly far back in there too. It’s not high on the list for a return trip.
I personally have never fished it. Never had the desire to fish it. I guess the road going up in is down right awful! My dad fishes it with the one neighbor every year and thats how I know what I know about Bakers.

I personally have never fished it. Never had the desire to fish it. I guess the road going up in is down right awful! My dad fishes it with the one neighbor every year and thats how I know what I know about Bakers.

Yeah, I have no clue how they stock it. I assume somebody has some ATV’s or a lighter 4WD pickup truck with a tank to get back there. The road is severely washed out in places and the stream is running down the road in spots. I’d be seriously surprised if the stocking truck goes back any further than the lot on 120.

The “road” is really more of a trail than a road. But, I caught stockers way up in there, so who knows.

On Spring Creek, when stocking was ended and C&R regs went into effect, the brown population doubled in 7 years.

On Fishing Creek, in the Narrows, when stocking was ended, and harvest restrictions went into effect, the brown trout population tripled.

So, brown trout populations are very significantly affected.

But brook trout populations are much MORE affected.
Yea agreed there is an effect I was speaking towards more of extirpation risk.

Yeah, I have no clue how they stock it. I assume somebody has some ATV’s or a lighter 4WD pickup truck with a tank to get back there. The road is severely washed out in places and the stream is running down the road in spots. I’d be seriously surprised if the stocking truck goes back any further than the lot on 120.

The “road” is really more of a trail than a road. But, I caught stockers way up in there, so who knows.
Yes, I've caught stockers way upstream. Even up beyond the gate, and above where that major trib comes in. They must be taking them up there with ATVs.

The water quality is very good there. There is no water quality or geology limitation. The limitation in the lower mileage is poor physical habitat, and that is caused by the road in the floodplain.

The solution would be to not just to close the road, but to ELIMINATE the road. Deconstruct the road grade, then revegetate it. That has been done in some places.

I remember seeing a channel block/diversion that sent the water out TOWARDS the road, rather than away from it, as you'd expect. Maybe they did this to make it easier to stock? This was years ago, so I don't know if that is still there, or if floodwaters blew it out.

BTW, I once drove the whole up to the gate in a Honda Civic. The road was bad then, but is even worse now.

Last edited:
Yes, I've caught stockers way upstream. Even up beyond the gate, and above where that major trib comes in. They must be taking them up there with ATVs.

The water quality is very good there. There is no water quality or geology limitation. The limitation in the lower mileage is poor physical habitat, and that is caused by the road in the floodplain.

The solution would be to not just to close the road, but to ELIMINATE the road. Deconstruct the road grade, then revegetate it. That has been done in some places.

I remember seeing a channel block/diversion that sent the water out TOWARDS the road, rather than away from it, as you'd expect. Maybe they did this to make it easier to stock? This was years ago, so I don't know if that is still there, or if floodwaters blew it out.

BTW, I once drove the whole up to the gate in a Honda Civic. The road was bad then, but is even worse now.
Stony creek is stocked by people in my local TU chapter in dauphin county in a total wilderness area with wild native brook trout, shame. I think by PFBC as well. The rail trail is what they use I am guessing or maybe float stocking.

Stony creek is stocked by people in my local TU chapter in dauphin county in a total wilderness area with wild native brook trout, shame. I think by PFBC as well. The rail trail is what they use I am guessing or maybe float stocking.

I’m sure it gets stocked via the rail trail. They drive the truck back I assume. That is a superhighway compared to the “road” on Baker Run.

tb - Impressive on getting a Civic back there. The last time I fished it I took my wife’s Subaru and parked at the 120 lot, and just walked in a ways then started fishing. I remember being glad I didn’t try to drive back there. In a Subaru, nonetheless a Civic. If I was to try to drive back there I’d do it in my 4Runner, but again, it’s not high on my “fish again” list. And even so, I enjoy walking in the woods in places like that. I’d just as soon like it if they gated it further out, at the last cabin. It would have “Wilderness Area” potential with a gate further out closer to 120.

Maybe if it stops getting stocked I’ll try it again after a few years.

Last edited:
The PFBC stocks it. And it is pretty wild, but there is a road that goes in there, from the south side.

I went in there one time and it just happened to be the day for inseason stocking. What a zoo. Vehicles and fishermen all over the place.

The PFBC stocks it. And it is pretty wild, but there is a road that goes in there, from the south side.

I went in there one time and it just happened to be the day for inseason stocking. What a zoo. Vehicles and fishermen all over the place.
Stony has Tribs with brook trout and the main-stem has them too. I don’t know if Doc Fritchey TU “Officially” stocks it or if its just some guys in the chapter. I mean really whats the difference. I have a friend who was asked to help stock it who was unfamiliar with the creek and someone from the chapter told him there are no brook trout in there which is obviously not accurate. I bet there is a lot of by catch back up in there if it gets that many cars troutbert. It is a completely undeveloped valley with mature hemlocks and mountain laurels, amazing.

Let's throw Young Woman's Creek into the mix here.
I think one is getting taken off the list at least one of the branches thats class A now and little kettle right?

Stony has Tribs with brook trout and the main-stem has them too. I don’t know if Doc Fritchey TU “Officially” stocks it or if its just some guys in the chapter. I mean really whats the difference.
It's a huge difference.

I think one is getting taken off the list at least one of the branches thats class A now and little kettle right?
I'm thinking I heard that part of Young Womans was possibly one of them. The problem I'm seeing though is that the majority of anglers primarily fish for stocked trout and are going to have very few options in Clinton County. As much as I don't like it, stocked trout control the majority of license sales and I don't see any way around that. If you take Bakers, Hyner, Young Womans, off the stocking list and local license sales in Clinton County are definitely going to drop. I know some people who only fish those streams and are nothing but meat hunters and without those streams being stocked their fishing days will be done. I personally don't mind that but I know the PFBC doesn't want to lose license sales.

Reactions: CRB
I'm thinking I heard that part of Young Womans was possibly one of them. The problem I'm seeing though is that the majority of anglers primarily fish for stocked trout and are going to have very few options in Clinton County. As much as I don't like it, stocked trout control the majority of license sales and I don't see any way around that. If you take Bakers, Hyner, Young Womans, off the stocking list and local license sales in Clinton County are definitely going to drop. I know some people who only fish those streams and are nothing but meat hunters and without those streams being stocked their fishing days will be done. I personally don't mind that but I know the PFBC doesn't want to lose license sales.
For people in the Renovo area, going to Kettle Creek and Kettle Creek Lake is not very far. For people in the Lock Haven area, Pine Creek is not very far. And the lower end of Young Womens Creek, from the confluence of the branches down through North Bend, is probably well below Class A, and probably will remain stocked. In the past I fished YWC on opening day and that lower end was very popular. There were big crowds, right there near the houses.

That rail trail is drivable above the gate (not open to the public except on occasion) so I’m certain the use that. There are many places where the trail is a short walk to the creek.

Back