Wifes first tiger!

mattd

mattd

My wife got her first wild tiger trout the other week. Got it on a class a stream in center county just a few miles from where I caught my first one. I've been catching at least one a year recently and with the browns taking over like they've been I think we will see alot more in the near future. Has anyone else noticed an increase in wild tigers?

Attachments

• wifes tiger.jpg
    wifes tiger.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 10
I think you should contact Homeland Security about that one, it looks to me like something is hand-written in farsi on the side of that trout. :cool:

The browns must be working with al quada. Stealing our waters and raping the natives. Im not too worried till I see a brown with a turbin. Then I may be a little concerned.

Is it possible to have a tiger rainbow? I was at the Davidson in western NC a few weeks ago, where they have wild browns, bows and brookies in very close quarters. I got one rainbow that had some of the tigerish patterns on one of its fins.

My buddy took a pic of it, and once I get them back from him, I'll post it to see what the tiger experts think.

I've never heard of a cross between a rainbow and a brown. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Bryson City,NC and we had a nice stream in front of the cabin and another just down the road where we caught plenty of wild rainbows. They did look a little different but nothing out of the ordinary. I'd like to see the pic when you get it. Now that I think about it, if it is possible to cross breed the two I'm sure the state would be doing it.

it was my understanding that to have more of a possiblity of tiger trout you need a water that is dominated by brookies with some browns. i may b wrong though. nice fish for sure! all my years fishing native streams i have yet to catch one of those.(wild tiger)
good job! BTW, isnt that a sand tiger! :-D

Ive cought 3 in my lifetime and 2 were in streams that I would say are 80% brook and 20% brown. The other came out of Elk where I seem to catch more browns. My wifes also came from a stream that was mostly brooks. It seems logical that streams with more brooks would have more tigers. It only takes one brown to fertilize thousands of eggs so if theres more brooks than theres more eggs to be fertilized by the browns. With the low survival rate, if theres not many brookie eggs chances are very few would make it even if they did cross.

Does the class A flow into a stocked ATW? Could it be a stocker? (Looks to be 9-10".....perhaps a little small for a stocker)

He was only about 7in and definately not stocked. It does flow into stocked waters about 3 miles down stream but there is good population of wild browns and brooks in the stream.

>Is it possible to have a tiger rainbow? I was at the Davidson in western NC a few weeks ago, where they have wild browns, bows and brookies in very close quarters. I got one rainbow that had some of the tigerish patterns on one of its fins.

My buddy took a pic of it, and once I get them back from him, I'll post it to see what the tiger experts think.>>

I've never heard of cross breeding between RT and Brook Trout.

On the Davidson, it's hard to tell what you're gonna catch sometimes anyway. Unless you were way, way up river, there are stocked fish all through it because the lower river is hatchery supported and there is a Federal hatchery on it about halfway up it..

i dont know if it is even possible, but im going to research it.
as far as i knew...one reason we never see it is because they breed at differnt times. but the pfbc has now made bows that reproduce in the fall......so who knows. im gonna see if they can.

Don't browns mate in the fall and brooks in the spring?

Brooks and Browns both breed in the fall. A little mix-up with the milt and the eggs and you have a Tiger, a cross between a female Brown and a male Brookie.

Rainbows breed in the spring, as do Cutthroat. Out west they get Cutbows from the intermingling.

Brownbows are a cross between a Brown male and a Rainbow female and are found in New Zeland. Maybe one of them forgot the right time to breed with the switch to the southern hemisphere?

are u sure because i was trying to find any info on brook trout and bows cross breeding. i found this:
brown bows
they say they never made it. By the time the fish reached one year, all had cataracts in their eyes.

So far as wild rainbows in Appalachian watersheds go, while it is true that the majority of fish are spring spawners, there are also fair numbers of autumn spawners.

Over 20 years ago, while fishing in the Harper Creek watershed in the Pisgah NF in western North Carolina, I ran into a NC fisheries biologist on his day off who was also fishing. We go to talking and he told me that many of the wild RT pops. in the state had both spring and fall spawners. He said that hatchery engineering of the original stock (these wild pops almost all came from Federal fish) produced fall spawners to begin with. He said that once in the creek and established, some of the fish reverted to spring spawning. Others though, stayed fall spawners. He said they did not know why this was so, but that 2 possible factors were, the competition by brown trout and stream gradient. He said that they had noticed that the stronger the brown trout pop. in a given stream, the more likely the RT were to revert to spring spawning.
He also said that the higher gradient the stream, the more likely that RT which came from fall spawning stock were to keep spawning in autumn and not revert.

That's what he said anyway...

Those tigers are such gorgeous fish. I've caught 4 wild ones and all were brookie prodominent streams. Actually the one stream I caught 2 on in the same day, I have yet to ever see a brown in this stream or any stream nearby for that matter. I went back the next year after catching the 2 in one day with my camera and the landowner had posted the property and wouldn't give me permission to fish it. His reason was if he lets one person on his land then everyone else would want to go on it. It was just a 6 foot wide brookie stream well off any main road, I didn't see the big deal.

some landowners are just mean or jerks. others have good reason not to let you on. if i was a landowner i wouldnt see any problem with letting someone on to fish as long as the ask as u did. look at this way, at least he posted his posted property. a few times i have been fishing and have been approached by an angry landowner. theyll say dont you know all this is posted! and ill say, no why dont u put up signs if your going to post the property. i know as a fisherman, i look for lack of those signs to fish. anyways, back to the subject, i thought some bows breed in the fall. i still cannot find a single article and wether or not brook trout and rainbow trout can breed. ship- that is amazing! i still havent caught a single wild tiger and you get 2 in a day, good job! :-D

[color=000000]Matt, that's a beautiful trout your wife got. I went trout fishin' over 2,000 times and never tamed a tiger.
Now I've caught three in the Poconos in the last year.

This one I believe is from a private hatchery that flooded in June '06. I was catching a bunch of hatchery
escapees last July when I got this little guy. There's a very slim chance it's wild, but I doubt it.
tiger.jpg

In August '06 I landed this 13 incher that is most certainly from a private stocking.
tiger2.jpg

Just two weeks ago I got this little wild guy from a WTS with browns and brooks. A few years ago someone
actually asked me if I ever got a tiger from that stream. Ofcourse, at the time my answer was no.[/color]
tiger.jpg

nice pics and nice tigers! :-D

All beautiful pictures and very pretty fish. Congrats!

Back