Why trout in the summer ( july and august) ????

Fredrick wrote:
I think some of you misunderstood my original statement .

If you have to concern yourself about stream temps and having to bring a thermometer with you because you are worried about the temps before you fish, you are in the wrong

This means if you know that the streams temps get high and you are trying to fish leave it be move on. Its not ethical to try and fish streams like this, in my Opinion but of course your entitled to yours.

Besides the select few streams that stay bellow 60 all year round This means that if its stays cold by all means fish it .

And if you only fish for trout that's your preference . But you are definitely missing out but that leaves more fish in the summer for me :pint:

What do you guys think of the meme ? I caught that fish yesterday it was 92 were I live.

It's a good idea to carry a stream thermometer at all times, and "worry" about the water temps.
You can get a hot spell and low stream flows in spring and fall too.

I fished central PA the third week of may this past spring. And we had at least 3-4 days in a row of hot, sunny weather - with temps pushing 90 degrees. And some of the streams were getting marginal already.
Was I wrong to be out fishing then, during what is usually a great week to fish?

I simply fish the LL when air temps get up there in the summer. Wet wading my legs are turning blue while my head is sweating.

dryflyguy wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
I think some of you misunderstood my original statement .

If you have to concern yourself about stream temps and having to bring a thermometer with you because you are worried about the temps before you fish, you are in the wrong

This means if you know that the streams temps get high and you are trying to fish leave it be move on. Its not ethical to try and fish streams like this, in my Opinion but of course your entitled to yours.

Besides the select few streams that stay bellow 60 all year round This means that if its stays cold by all means fish it .

And if you only fish for trout that's your preference . But you are definitely missing out but that leaves more fish in the summer for me :pint:

What do you guys think of the meme ? I caught that fish yesterday it was 92 were I live.

It's a good idea to carry a stream thermometer at all times, and "worry" about the water temps.
You can get a hot spell and low stream flows in spring and fall too.

I fished central PA the third week of may this past spring. And we had at least 3-4 days in a row of hot, sunny weather - with temps pushing 90 degrees. And some of the streams were getting marginal already.
Was I wrong to be out fishing then, during what is usually a great week to fish?

Nothing wrong with using a thermometer or caring one but if you know that the temps are going to be marginal why not give the trout on that stream a break instead of trying squeeze in a fishing session . And go fish somewhere else or for other fish.

I feel like Hank Patterson trying to explain catch and release .

Uhhh, it strikes me that if a stream gets too warm for trout to survive C&R fishing in the summer, maybe it shouldn't be managed as a "coldwater" fishery. Just sayin...

hehe

TimB wrote:
Uhhh, it strikes me that if a stream gets too warm for trout to survive C&R fishing in the summer, maybe it shouldn't be managed as a "coldwater" fishery. Just sayin...

That's a completely absurd viewpoint.

Tim B,

Did you mean that if it gets to warm it should not be managed as a Coldwater Fishery or as a C&R fishery or both? DH Areas, for example, were set up to avoid the latter as water becomes warm.

A classification of CW, or HQCW, does alot more than to just satisfy someones ego, as I think Tim may think thats all that classification does. A CW classification is a PROTECTION measure, if you think a stream shouldn't have that classification just because it gets warm during a few summer months and thus puts the stream in potential danger of poor construction practices then so be it. Just dont call yourself a conservationist in any sense of the word.

DH is a great tool for marginal streams. But what I'm really getting at is that I don't understand the emphasis on trying to force a recreational trout fishery in waters that can't support it. Let's face it, most of them are completely artificial fisheries relying on non-native trout planted to support recreation. In some cases it works, in others it seems forced. Marginal streams could just as easily be managed for other species where you wouldn't have to take temps to feel good or ethical about C&R fishing. Most of us just happen to "prefer" that our artificial fishing experience be for trout. Why not another species that is better suited to that specific environment? Again, in most cases we are talking recreational fishing for non-native species.

I'll call myself a conservationist all I want. I probably just don't share other people's definition of what that means. I believe in protecting wild brook trout in PA. I wouldn't feel the slightest bit bad about fishing for non-native trout in warm temperatures as long as it was legal to do so.

"God didn't have to create trout; he could have settled for bass." -- Michael Altizer

I guess that's how some of us look at it.

I think your confused, a designation of Cold Water has nothing to do with fishing. Im not arguing the catch and release aspect of it. The CW classification is given by the state. It has nothing to do with the commission or fishing. For example a stream that has a CW classification requires more stringent erosion and sedimentation controls during construction activities near the stream, everyone should be on board with classifying streams as cold water, it only protects them, there really is no downside.

As far as fishing and C&R its debatable given the circumstances of the stream.

rrt wrote:
"God didn't have to create trout; he could have settled for bass." -- Michael Altizer

I guess that's how some of us look at it.

That's what I'm talking about!

govtmule wrote:
Ryan, have you tried carp on a fly?...have you caught one on a fly?...try it...you may like it...isnt this 2017 where women can be men and men can be married to horses and such...times they are a changin'

Yeah, but I did it in the late 80s and 90s when you couldn't marry a horse or be in the military. Like I said, that was the only thing available that I could walk or bike too. Bass, carp, sunnies an occasional pickeral were my only choices. Just don't love that fishing anymore, it is what it was.

Whoa, Frederick, I'd say your opening statement is quite brash at the very least. I always advocate carrying a stream thermometer and I've learned over the years - many years, that is - that it's a good thing to do. Saying I'm wrong to pursue trout as you described is more than I'm willing to accept.

NewSal wrote:
I think your confused, a designation of Cold Water has nothing to do with fishing. Im not arguing the catch and release aspect of it. The CW classification is given by the state. It has nothing to do with the commission or fishing. For example a stream that has a CW classification requires more stringent erosion and sedimentation controls during construction activities near the stream, everyone should be on board with classifying streams as cold water, it only protects them, there really is no downside.

As far as fishing and C&R its debatable given the circumstances of the stream.

Ha! I'm not the slightest bit confused about what I meant! I was speaking in terms of recreational fisheries, not water quality designations.

Everyone has there right to there own opinion, even if it sucks.

OldLefty wrote:
Whoa, Frederick, I'd say your opening statement is quite brash at the very least. I always advocate carrying a stream thermometer and I've learned over the years - many years, that is - that it's a good thing to do. Saying I'm wrong to pursue trout as you described is more than I'm willing to accept.

Brash but it got people thinking . Just my opinion leave the little guys alone when the temps get up there . There is so much more fishing opportunities out there then having to worry about stream temps . Now this doesn't include those streams that are cold year round. Little J was 71 yesterday and I believe Valley creek by me was 72 . Nothing wrong with checking temps but do you think it would it be better just to leave the slimmy guys alone all together in streams were the temps get high in the summer instead of fishing a stream in the coldest point of the day then later on that same stream pushes 70 . I just don't agree with it and your definitely not helping the trout survive higher temps later in the day .

Just my two cents

"Trout are the pretentious man's bluegill." -Dan Frasier

Frederik, what section of the little j was at 71? I won't be fishing anyway but I'm just curious if it was upper, middle, or lower c&r.

Fredrick wrote:
Nothing wrong with checking temps but do you think it would it be better just to leave the slimmy guys alone all together in streams were the temps get high in the summer instead of fishing a stream in the coldest point of the day then later on that same stream pushes 70 . I just don't agree with it and your definitely not helping the trout survive higher temps later in the day .

Nobody is advocating fishing for trout in temps over 70. There's plenty of water around that doesn't come close to that, and if you enjoy fishing for trout, it's nonsense to suggest that you shouldn't fish those waters.

Back