Why Only Trout ???

I do fancy these speckle trout

IMG_1396.jpeg

I sort of share your sentiment, Fred ("Why only Trout").

While I love to FF for trout, I really enjoy FFing for other species both SW & WW like SMB and LMB, sunfish, muskies, pike, stripers, redfish, bonefish, tarpon, permit (yet to actually catch one), barracuda, and many other WW & SW fish.

I will say, IMHO, the lure of trout fishing (no pun intended) is the fact they feed on insects and the hatch and matching the hatch along with tying to imitate those bugs has great appeal. This drives my love for tying flies to meet the hatches or conditions, although tying flies for all species of fish is also fun. The fact that trout feed on top and one can have a great day fishing dry flies. Plus, as others have mentioned, many trout streams are beautiful places and a days fishing may involve a hike through the woods, which in itself is a great experience.

With all that being said, I would feel something is missing if I just limited my FFing to only trout. I enjoy the change of seasons and changing up my fly fishing for other species depending on the time of year and/or where I am fishing.

It's all fun, so enjoy all your time out in and on the water for whatever you fish for that day.

After working in the sun for years, cool water and shade appeal to me . I will go ice fishing if it gets cold enough this winter. I've went through some warm water phases and maybe another one is in the distant future. There is a lot of trout water close to my new home . At the new to me home,nearest trout crick is across the road and through a parking lot or I can drive ten minutes to a lake with warm water fish ,so both options are fairly convenient. Maybe I will get a nice pike on the fly and maybe that starts a warm water phase.Who knows what the future holds?

Reactions: CRB
I grew up trout fishing. All I did was trout fish until I became an adult. Then I started expanding my horizons. I find trout to not be any smarter or harder to catch than any other fish out there. The highly pressured trout that get hammered day in and day out are harder to catch like any other pressured species. The native unpressured brookies hammer anything that lands in the same zip code much like a sunnie. I prefer all types of bass, pickerel, sunfish, walleye, shad, saltwater, spin fishing, ice fishing, fly fishing, dough ball fishing, chicken liver fishing over fishing for trout in PA. I still trout fish but only out of nostalgia and always with a fly rod. If I ever retire I will probably trout fish more but right now I spend my limited fishing time on other fishing opportunities both spin and fly.

I primarily fish for trout and smallmouth but only fly fish for trout. I do occasionally use a fly rod for bass but just don’t enjoy it as much. Not sure why but it is what it is. That could change over time though.

I primarily flyfish for trout and it has taken me to some beautiful places: PA, MT, CO, NM. The last two summers I have flyfished for bass and pike in the Boundary Waters and that area is beautiful as well. While I still enjoy tying trout flies, nowadays I get more of a kick out of tying big pike and musky flies.

I just like feeding fish flies bonus points if they’re strong or fast. I can count on one hand the amount of days I trout fish anymore though

The history of fly fishing for trout. The propensity for trout to eat emerging flies on the suface. Matching the hatch. Casting a fly rod in of itself is fun especially on moving water.
I fly fish for warmwater fish and saltwater too. SMB is a favorite.

Hey Fred,

While I agree the majority of threads and posts on here are about FFing for trout. The posts above prove that a good many PAFFers fish for other species besides trout. They just don't get as much "ink" as the trout do on here. I'm not sure why that is, but all types of FFing stories, info and reports are welcome.

Then who would be here to point out the prejudice and hypocrisy?
Well, thank GOD for you! Your hypocrisy is inescapable. Please ponder post 46.

Well, thank GOD for you! Your hypocrisy is inescapable. Please ponder post 46.
I did as you asked, and in my pondering I realized that many of the interactions I’ve had with religious people are remarkably similar to the original post that I commented on, where someone feels strongly that their beliefs are the very best and that anyone who thinks different is a lesser being.

Thanks so much for the advice.

I did as you asked, and in my pondering I realized that many of the interactions I’ve had with religious people are remarkably similar to the original post that I commented on, where someone feels strongly that their beliefs are the very best and that anyone who thinks different is a lesser being.

Thanks so much for the advice.
Wow now you're going to shat on people that have religious beliefs as well as those of us that fly fish for trout. Ever consider therapy? You seem the angry sort.

I’ve outlined multiple instances of posters on this site making disparaging comments about bait fishing, and even comparing bait anglers to individuals with developmental disabilities.

I’m not going rehash all the details, just to be inundated with comments from posters saying “that’s not what I meant by that”.

The bias is evident in many places.
Amen. 100pct agree. Heck ive been known to throw garden hackle and hardware too prob more often than not

Wow now you're going to shat on people that have religious beliefs as well as those of us that fly fish for trout. Ever consider therapy? You seem the angry sort.
If speaking up against people who disparage others who hold different views requires therapy, then sign me up.

If speaking up against people who disparage others who hold different views requires therapy, then sign me up.
Your "speaking up" sure seems more like you are disparaging people who hold different religious and fishing views than those held by you.

you appear to fancy yourself as the enlightened victim vs. the haughty masses.

Back