Penns First Timer

I fished Penns last fall when it was a trickle. I was fishing what some call the swimming pool hole near Ingleby. I walked directly downstream from the tail of that pool where there is usually white water and some decent pools tight to the bank with a bit of brush. I was shocked to see it so low with absolutely zero holding water as it cuts back to the trail. I started walking through the water and I kicked out a super nice brown around 15 inched in a tiny 1 foot pocket of foam that was totally in the open. It was super bright and sunny. Never in a million years would I expected a trout to be in any of that water. Another time I was down near the fish commission station on a bright sunny day and walking through total shallows with my bugger hanging at my side. A huge brown leaped out of the water after my fly leaving me soaked. I get the hole cover and fish the shadows but you never know.

I don't think I caught a fish that weekend so the conditions were poor. You ask yourself, where could the fish possibly be, but I guess they find somewhere. We did find a decent number right in front of his cabin that rose sporadically. If you didn't see them rise you would never guess they were there. Similar experiences on Valley.

I fished Penns last fall when it was a trickle. I was fishing what some call the swimming pool hole near Ingleby. I walked directly downstream from the tail of that pool where there is usually white water and some decent pools tight to the bank with a bit of brush. I was shocked to see it so low with absolutely zero holding water as it cuts back to the trail. I started walking through the water and I kicked out a super nice brown around 15 inched in a tiny 1 foot pocket of foam that was totally in the open. It was super bright and sunny. Never in a million years would I expected a trout to be in any of that water.
In the fall trout are often in the shallows for spawning.

Ditto! And make sure you post up on a pool some evening with a #22ish cream midge and stay til dark
Guess I should have stayed a little longer! I never noticed them taking the midges when I was there. Pretty sure they were taking the small mayflies that looked to be blue quills.

Back