why all the hate?

Just a note on Orvis stores. As everyone knows the PG3's are on back order and even though the rep told our store A&A Outfitters in NE Pa. that they would be in on time for a tryout my son had, they aren't going to make it in time. My sons present waders of course decided to leak in the inner seams a couple of days ago. The store has offered to let him take a new pair of Tail waters to wear and turn them in when his PG3's come in. It's not like they can put them back in the box and sell them again. Another person from the same store lent him his Oakley sun glasses last tryout.

The new PG3's changed the seam pattern so that those inter-seam leaks won't happen and the Tail waters will be redesigned as well. for next year. They are a much better buy than Simms and like I said before if you're a hard to fit size they offer more options. These are some nice guys. The owner offered to lend my son his if they fit as well.

If the store treats you right and the product suits you shop there.

Wetnet,
That is a VERY interesting tidbit about the inner seams leaking. I purchased online, a pair of PG2's in November. I used them less than a dozen times and my right inner knee was wet the last time I fished. When I looked at the wader legs, the material is litterally breaking down there. The edge of the seam tape is creating a crease in the outter layer and walking wears the edge like a folded piece of paper. I did an on-line chat with a CSR at Orvis and they offered to repair them (3-4 weeks). I was furious.....So I called and got the same shpeal. Send them back.....but it is late April with May around the corner and I have no waders. Well I got the leaky ones I bought the new ones to replace. They did offer to record the complaint and I could fix them and send them back when the season slows...

I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the Orvis Service and 100% satisfaction Guarantee. I am sorry I ever bought them. ANd to think I almost went with LL Bean but the Orvis was a better deal.

Selling products with a notable defect and then not standing behind them is Outrageous.

....but I'm not bitter!

I sent them to the repair address and am hoping for the best. This could very well be the last Orvis product I ever buy.

Maurice

Mo,

Now you have a set - you can wear you're Orvis waders with you Weinbrenner boots and watch them self-destruct as you wade through the stream. :-D

Mo, I would "insist" that I receive a new pair. I got a new pair after 3 years of use, but I worked it through the Orvis factory store in near where I live (Downingtown). Good luck.

Maurice

My sons waders that are leaking are Hodgemans, not Orvis. Mine are leaking too now and they are Guide Series. The seam problem is with lots of waders that's why the companies are changing the design. Simm's has changed their design too.

I would be miffed if I had to wait that long for a pair of waders to be fixed during the season.

My son had a problem with his Korkers but at least they offered to replace them. Since he couldn't be without a pair during the shipment period I put the replacement pair on my credit card which they credited as soon as we returned the broken pair.

I don't like to shop online for the very reason you stated. Yes they stand by the product but if you have to jump through hoops for something that is defective, it's like not having a warranty at all. That's why I like the store. They have to look at you very sad face in person. Good luck with your waders.

Well, my hate turned to love. I got a brand new pair of PG3's today. An upgrade from the PG2's which are side seam models. The PG3's have the knee seam in the rear.

I retract my earlier disdain for Orvis.

Not three weeks but two day when I told them I had a trip coming up.

Satisfied.

Let's not forget that Orvis does some very concrete things to preserve threatened trout habitat. Grayling, redband trout, trout of the desert, etc. Remember? It's easy to sneer at Orvis as the embodiment of exclusivist, tweedy fly fishing. However, such generalizations are, by and large, inaccurate and may blind us to the very positive influence s company like this can have!

Ginky

Back