why all the hate?

Well that's quite a talent but not quite as fun as it is for picking out redneck fly fishermen. They're much harder to detect with their deer antler decals, camo and smell of pork rinds.

Too bad Orvis hasn't picked up a camo line. I find it highly effective. Pork rinds float if you should drop them and the massive buck decals draw attention away from me possibly having a G.Loomis or Sage in my car.

I'm sorry but my kid has all sorts of nice stuff and still wears either some stupid plaid shorts or fuzzy pajama bottoms under his waders with hunting socks and flip flops or hunting boots until he hits the water. BIG buck decal on the car and he does catch fish!!

I don't think yinz should worry about what he wears, especially if he brings the beer.

When I lived in a small town, I went fishing to meet up with people and it was almost always a soicial event. When I moved to a big city, I started going fishing to get away from people. Thats also when I started shopping at Orvis and lost my "If you can't get it at Wal-Mart you don't really need it." attitude.

From what I can tell, now at least, is the marketing that Orvis uses to sell their stuff. The write-ups seem naievely overblown. Too much name dropping: "When you are having the fishing day of your life on the Madison River" Stuff like that is just repulsive to my sensibilities as a fly fisherman who knows his way around a floodplain. It seems to appeal to the once-in-a-while vacationing sport who really likes the IDEA of flyfishing and the dinner there after, but isn't an up-to-you-armpits type fisherman. Where Simms and Sage and Ross, top of the line manufacturers, they project that they are more for the blood and guts fisherman, the guy who knows his stuff: cowboy types: silent and strong, enduring endless rain or sun to hook a fish. They go as much for the guides as the hard core weekend angler. With that, they set the precedent that the more casual, well heeled anglers glom onto. Orvis marketing seems to appeal to the more clueless sport who trips along lightly, getting told by the guide what to do and rejoyces at the few fish caught; people who like the boat ride as much as the fish. I'm a science person, so it's hard for me to put my finger on something as indirect and soft as marketing, but this is what I've gathered.
Syl

Sylvaneous...nicely put.

I don't think it's really fair to bash the entire Orvis catalog....okay, I do agree the overpriced dog beds are ridiculous. I've been buying puffy beds for my two, aging, English setters at Farm and Fleet, or is it Tractor Supply, now for years. Yes, I spoil my bird dogs to no end. Spent $600 for Patch in 2000: best money I ever spent, along with the $425 for a Sage LL in '97 or so.
All manufacturers have that "Sweet Spot" in their gear offerings. Not too expensive, good quality, and excellent warranty. I know that the Pro Guide waders are one of the best values in the Orvis lineup. Had a pair of the PG2s that I wore for years....but to get the proper foot size I had to buy the XL: result? Water would fill up in the knee areas and I had 'ballon legs'. Then again the extra weight helped anchor me in fast water on the Yough.
I wrote/emailed them a few times, and apparently many others did and Orvis came out with alternate bootie sizes. What a great idea. Hell, I'm only 6', about 180, with a size 12 foot. Haven't checked out the new PG3s, but when my Patagonias finally die I certainly will. I mean, really the PG3s run, what about $350: this price point slams Simms and their $600 waders.
Hey, Jack M, I have 2 of the CFOs, the old school green model and the newer, bronze/champagne model. Love 'em both!! None of that large-arbor crap for this guy. Got the newer one dirt cheap from some salt-water outfit in Mass. who was dumping them because no one uses the smaller models in his area.
As always, wait for the new gear to come out, then wait till the off season and clean up on good gear. Same with the golf industry.
Mark

It's a business...they are in the business to make money. That is what retail is plain and simple. Each company has their target audience and core customers. When you find your niche...whether it it die hard anglers or city slickers...that is where your money comes from. BUT...most niches are only "percieved" as it is only marketing!

As most people on this site have suggested...you try the merchandise...you cast the rod before you buy...you try on the waders for comfort...etc. I own a couple orvis rods because I liked them more than the other rods I casted and could afford them at the time. I think some people are buying into the marketing and turning that into a negative (or positive) depending on how the marketing reflects their lifestyle. Make your own decision by looking only at your interaction with the merchandise (not the perception or marketing) and determine if you think it is worth it to you!

Remember that Orvis is not just a big box, if you can even call it that...many smaller fly shops depend on Orvis product sales for their livelihood. The shop in downtown Greensburg and the one in Murrysville (both now closed) were Orvis shops. But also open now, are the one in Ligonier and the International Anger in Pittsburgh...They ar Orvis "authorized dealers" and being lised in every Orvis literature is pretty good advertising for a small business. The guy that fixes my chainsaw and lawn mower has a big Stihl sign out front and can be found by looking up "dealers near you" on stihl's web site...Its not like we're talking about Walmart...and they are made in the USA, right?

Zenriver,

I am the EXACT same build. Many people I know are too. I wonder why our wader size is considered so odd? Good on orvis for making the the alternate bootie sizes available. Perhaps I'll check a pair out. My waders never fit right.

Are those PG3s even Gortex? If they aren't I'd have more faith in the Sims but I'd never pay that much for waders that I know I'm just going to put a hole in eventually. I was never impressed with the Orvis line of waders, just not my style. As far as someone being an Orvis dealer I think that is a positive thing as long as you endource other brands as well. I know Flyfishers Paradise in State College is an Orvis dealer but they also have a variety of other brands, G-Loomis, Sage, etc. Now when it comes to boots and waders all they have I believe is Orvis. I buy what best suits my needs and I agree try everything out that you can before you buy it. Someone that has Orvis boots, waders, rods, reels, vests, line, hat, shirt, etc just is too sucked up into the brand name in my opinion and those are the people that make others hate Orvis products I think. Its over kill and in my opinion no one company can possibly produce the best products for all my needs unless they would put me in charge of the company. We'd have some Orvis camo shirts then if I was in charge (they might exist I just haven't seen them before)! Come to think of it I feel Orvis is kind of like the upland game bird hunters that just stroll through the field stop mind morning for a tea break. I'd kill to bring one of those guys along on a deer drive with our crew. Or one of those guys that pay for the hunts and sit in a shed to shoot their deer and say what a hard hunt it was. They wouldn't last one drive with our crew. There's an uppidy feeling that Orvis gives off. Its not a hardcore feeling. Sage, G-Loomis, Sims all have a much more hardcore diehard fisherman feel.

I'll have to say when my wife went shopping for waders last year it was obvious Orvis had the best sizing and selection for women by quite a long shot. They are by far her favaorite brand, whereas I could take them or leave them.

OK! You have me miffed BigJohn. Some of us that upland bird hunt that stop for tea are not to be triffled with!!

I hunt and train bird dogs. I also bought my kid, yes kid a new pair of Orvis waders. PG3's. It depends on how much you fish and what you need in gear. This kid lives it. I will probably die in my mildew spotted Guide Series from Gander. His Hodgemans after 2 years are shot. Yes some people have a ton of extra cash laying around and buy every new thing out there and it gets me too when I empty my checkbook. If you have a good store that supports its product and you need something in a size no one else sells ..... and it's recommended from guides that you know you buy them. They are awesome waders. They seem heavy but are lighter than the ones he has now and are so much more sturdy and seem tons more durable. I checked out every inch. Yes they breathe. We support what works. If they leak you'll be the first person I'll contact while I'm eating crow.

Dear wetnet,

Orvis has the best waders for the money in the business, it's not even a contest. Trust me, I've worn just about every brand of wader made and I'll always buy Orvis. One thing that you've discovered with your son is that they offer many sizes and unlike some other brand from Montana their sizing is true and accurate, 2XL is 2XL with Orvis.

I don't have much of their other gear except for a one weight and a CFOI and a chest pack. The chest pack cost less than half what a comparable capacity pack costs from one of those "cool, hip" Western companies and it's nicer too. The zipper pulls aren't tie-died but I can live with that. :-D

Orvis has this stigma of yuppifying fly fishing but I can tell you I see plenty of stone cold dorks in pressed shirts and Indiana Jones fedoras wearing Simms or Patagucci and hopelessly flailing away with a $ 700.00 dollar green rod and matching $ 500.00 large arbor disc drag 2 weight reel. :-D

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Murph in Orvis-- and they say you can't paint a turd!

JackM wrote:
Murph in Orvis-- and they say you can't paint a turd!

You still can’t Jack. Tim finally got new glasses last month and I suspect he’s never seen himself in those waders until the next time he hits the water. This too will change. Hell, I’ve never said anything to him about it because he brings the beer.

Rolf

I agree with BigJohn's assessment of who buys Orvis. Where I may differ is that I'm not ashamed to be a stone cold dork yuppie. I've worked hard for that wine rack in the back of my truck. Cheers.

I agree that a redneck in Orvis looks like a fish out of water. I'm just no scaredy cat redneck. Our Orvis store is conveniently located next to a Starbucks which makes it worse. I won't pay $4 for a cup of bitter coffee but if I need a pair of waders come in a size large, 36" inseam, with a 13 foot .... and.... they are recommended by a guide that could own anything, then I'm going to proudly park right by the front door with my deer skull stickers and buy a pair of waders.

No they don't have diversity in their products if it's in the store it has a Orvis stamp on it. I like shopping store that have variety too.

Not everyone needs to shop Orvis for good equipment but if it suits your needs and the store stands by the product, buy it. I wear a reasonably priced pair of waders that have mildew stains in them. I forgot them in my sons car in August and he took off for the weekend. They don't stink anymore so I'll probably wear them until they rot off.

I have a friend that just bought a new Helios. I fish an old Fenwick. I don't care where he bought it or how much it cost him, the joy and excitement in his voice made me just as eager to fish with him.

I guess just do what makes you happy.

I wine rack in the truck sounds like a happy thought!

Dear Rolf,

Nice dude, and to think I was going to bring beer on Sunday. I still will, but you ain't gettin' any! :-D

Jack I like my Orvis waders. They are about 1 full size larger in a 2XL than the Simms 2XL kings that I have and I like them much better. The difference in comfort is night and day compared to the Simms, the Orvis waders actually breath. I should have bought Orvis bootfoot waders but I fell for the Simms hype. That won't happen again.

Besides, nothing says yuppie dork better than spending $ 700.00 for a pair of rubber pants that you don't even need from mid-May to October. :-D

Regards,

I have only ever worn Orvis waders, except my neoprenes. My new waders are the Clearwater as I have resigned myself that waders are going to be a disposable item for me no matter what I spend and my first pair were Clearwaters and they were the most comfortable pair I've ever owned.

I also like their tippet-- no more expensive really than any other brand-- and I covet the flybox we got Gino in Tennessee-- it's the one made of lightweight material with little magnets on the corner. I'd spring for one of my own, but I'm waiting for them to make it with nubbytack rather than foam. Oh, and I once bought a Orvis brand March Brown dun from Slate Run Tackle for $2.10, but I've been afraid to use it at that price, so I just dropped it in my safe-deposit box with all my other precious valuables.

JackM wrote:
I have only ever worn Orvis waders, except my neoprenes. My new waders are the Clearwater as I have resigned myself that waders are going to be a disposable item for me no matter what I spend and my first pair were Clearwaters and they were the most comfortable pair I've ever owned.

Dear Jack,

Talk about polishing a turd? I've fished with you a couple of times and never even noticed you were wearing waders. That Orvis stuff sure works magic! :-D

I paid too much for my original Orvis Clearwaters. I suppose it's unfair to say that I paid too much because I paid what was at the time the going price for them. Shortly after I bought them Orvis lowered the price but even at $ 189.95 they were a bargain to me.

You aren't kidding about how comfortable they were, and I got 9 years out of my pair, and I didn't baby them.

Take that Simms! :-D

Regards,

I buy the best gear I can to suit my needs, period. I'm looking for quality, guarantee, fit, feel, etc without going over the top. Why not buy on sale when you can? You get what you pay for to some extent, much of fly fishing gear in general is over priced no matter what the name. Obviously some is vastly underrated as well. We all have different experiences from products/manufactures hence why/how we forumlate our opinions.

Personally the last thing I care about when I'm on the stream is judging somebody else by what kind of gear they have. I'm there to fish not to be a judge in a gear pageant. Buy what works for you and is within your budget.

Back