White Fly for Yellow Breeches

RonB

RonB

What pattern do you use for the white fly on the breeches. Interested in dries, emerger, or nymphs. What size do you tie them?

I like nymphs and emergers for this hatch. You can use whatever styles you like but keep 'em sparse and on the smaller side - total length (-tail) should be under an inch. A thin bit of gray marabou makes a good body for the nymphs as they're strong swimmers and a swinging fly with movement tends to work well.

I've done well with this pattern near allenberry.

http://ralphsflybox.blogspot.com/2014/09/tying-great-white-humpy-video.html

I've been hearing that the white fly hatch on the YB hasn't really been happening. Please post any experiences.

I have only hit the hatch twice, with the last one being about 4-5 years ago. They were coming off on the slower water above the dam at Allenbery. But the only place I got fish to rise was below the dam. I think the fish were stacked there grabbing cripples. That's my best guess anyway.

Ralph

The frogwater above the dam at Allenberry can sometimes be a very enticing but humbling experience.

water is too warn now,ihear,but the best emerger i can think of would be a white silk and dun hen soft hackle

I hit it twice last week, when the temps were cooler. Second night stumped me though. There were more bugs in the air than the previous night, but I only saw one riser and very few spinners or duns on the water. The guys directly above and below me weren't connecting either. I waited fairly late after they packed up, thinking the spinnerfall was late, but no dice.

Back