Where to buy Fishpond?

H

harv06

Hey guys I'm new to the site. Just thought I'd ask here before I drop $140 on the Fishpond Gore Range vest. Where is the best place to buy? The cheapest I have found is retail $140. Anybody find any better deals?

Check the cabela's bargain cave, ebay, and amazon to get it below retail.

I've seen the best selection at TCO and cabela's, but they were all full price.

All the major brands are price controlled by the manufacturer. The only time discounting is allowed is if the item is being discontinued.

Spyder20oz wrote:
All the major brands are price controlled by the manufacturer. The only time discounting is allowed is if the item is being discontinued.

That would actually be illegal...hence the term MSRP. Although major manufacturers have more influence on distributors prices, some will always be more competitive....
Keep looking for better prices!

spyder has a point.

When I worked for a fly shop, the owner would always talk about keeping the prices at MSRP because if a rep came in and saw that you were undercutting the competition they could pull the franchize indefinately. Of course this could have been the owner's personality too.

On the flip side, the large manufacturers are never going to pull out from Cabela's, TCO, or Bass Pro. Too much business comes from them.

I'm also betting that you could ****er a local shop down in price.

MKern wrote:
spyder has a point.
Yeah, but a hat will cover that... :-D

Anyway...companies are always "improving" their products. I almost always buy the "last" version of something and find I like it better than the improved version and its half price. There is something out there that's just perfect for the price you are willing to pay if you look. For example, I got my Fishpond pack right here in the swap thread. It is now a discontinued product and I do not care for what they replaced it with. But you can find them for sale on the internet.

I bought my fish pond here with no tax and free shipping.

http://www.schmidtoutfitters.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=50

Thanks for the help guys I'm still shopping around. I did find one for $119 shipped. Seems like a good price.

David - choose 4 or 5 current products from the major brands and try to find differences in prices. They are fixed across the industry. Shops even get in trouble when they try to sell new products cheaper on ebay and risk loosing the manufacturer.

Do a bit of research before you speak
http://ffotw.com/?p=1348

Another article
Maryland prohibits manufacturers from setting minimum retail prices

Maryland this month enacted a law that bars manufacturers from requiring retailers to sell items at or above a certain price. That returns the law in that state to what it was before a controversial Supreme Court decision two years ago that opened the door for more minimum price agreements.

Internet retailers are divided on minimum-price mandates. Some say they undercut the advantage online merchants have in being able to sell at lower price because they don’t the cost of operating stores. Others say minimum pricing protects profit margins.

The Supreme Court opened the door for manufacturers to more aggressively set minimum prices in the June 2007 decision in a case known as Leegin that said minimum-price agreements should be judged on a case by case basis. Before that, they were automatically viewed as illegal.

Many manufacturers have been emboldened to set minimum prices in the wake of the Leegin decision, says Christopher S. Finnerty, a partner with the law firm of Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP. Maryland is the first state to respond. “It’s the first state to take a swing at the Leegin decision,” Finnerty says. “There are other states that have antitrust laws contrary to Leegin, but this is the first one that’s passed a law in response to it.”

Finnerty says there are about a dozen states that have laws barring manufacturers from imposing minimum-price agreements, also referred to as resale price maintenance policies. There have not been many antitrust claims in state courts against price-maintenance agreements, but that it’s possible there could be more litigation now, at least in Maryland, Finnerty says. “It may also add some steam to the bill that’s in the Senate right now,” he adds.

That bill was reintroduced this year Sen. Herb Kohl, a Wisconsin Democrat, who introduced similar legislation in the previous session of Congress shortly after the Supreme Court handed down the Leegin decision. That bill never came to a vote in the last Congress. He reintroduced the bill this year. The Kohl bill but is not likely to move forward in 2009 because of the pressing economic issues facing Congress, but could have better prospects next year, says Michael Lindsay, an antitrust lawyer and partner in the law firm of Dorsey & Whitney LLP.

Minimum pricing is also under scrutiny from the Federal Trade Commission, could bring antitrust actions against price-setting agreements that it believed were anticompetitive. (While the Leegin decision says such agreements are not automatically illegal, they’re not automatically legal, either. Such an agreement would violate antitrust law if it can be shown to reduce competition.) The FTC has scheduled two hearings for next month on minimum-price agreements.

The FTC is likely to take a closer look at price-maintenance agreements under the current administration than it did under the previous one, Lindsay says. “You can look for antitrust enforcement that focuses more on the immediate consumer impact and less on economic theory,” he says.

Here is the Leegin case from the supreme court of the US about price fixing

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/06pdf/06-480.pdf

JUSTICE KENNEDY delivered the opinion of the Court.
In Dr. Miles Medical Co. v. John D. Park & Sons Co., 220 U. S. 373 (1911), the Court established the rule that itis per se illegal under §1 of the Sherman Act, 15 U. S. C. §1, for a manufacturer to agree with its distributor to setthe minimum price the distributor can charge for the manufacturer’s goods. The question presented by the instant case is whether the Court should overrule the per se rule and allow resale price maintenance agreements to be judged by the rule of reason, the usual standard applied to determine if there is a violation of §1. The Court has abandoned the rule of per se illegality for other verticalrestraints a manufacturer imposes on its distributors. Respected economic analysts, furthermore, conclude that vertical price restraints can have procompetitive effects. We now hold that Dr. Miles should be overruled and that vertical price restraints are to be judged by the rule of reason.

Spyder,

didn't you just make David's point for him? It seems that from your two pieces of research it is illegal to set minimum pricing.

Scott - read the whole decision by the Justice Kennedy - he says that the court has overruled the sherman anti-trust act and looks at each issue on a case to case basis.

The state of MD is trying to pass a law to go against the Leegin Case but states can not reverse a supreme court decision. Many states have minimum price laws but they are automatically trumped by the supreme court decision.

Nobody tell spyder this, but he's turning into a bit of a contributor.

Good info. Thanks :)

spyder has gone too far in his interpretation of the opinion of Justice Kennedy. The Sherman Act remains intact, not overruled. Only the doctrine of per se illegality for vertical price-fixing was overruled. That states or the federal gubment could legislate a per se rule of illegality for vertical price-fixing by doing so explicitly seems to be implied in the following exerpt:

Respondent’s arguments for reaffirming Dr. Miles on the basis of stare decisis do not require a different result. Respondent looks to congressional action concerning vertical price restraints. In 1937, Congress passed the Miller-Tydings Fair Trade Act, 50 Stat. 693, which made vertical price restraints legal if authorized by a fair trade law enacted by a State. Fifteen years later, Congress expanded the exemption to permit vertical price-setting agreements between a manufacturer and a distributor to be enforced against other distributors not involved in the agreement. McGuire Act, 66 Stat. 632. In 1975, however, Congress repealed both Acts. Consumer Goods Pricing Act, 89 Stat. 801. That the Dr. Miles rule applied to vertical price restraints in 1975, according to respondent, shows Congress ratified the rule. This is not so. The text of the Consumer Goods Pricing Act did not codify the rule of per se illegality for vertical price restraints. It rescinded statutory provisions that made them per se legal. Congress once again placed these restraints within the ambit of §1 of the Sherman Act.

And, as has been discussed, Congress intended §1 to give courts the ability “to develop governing principles of law” in the common-law tradition. Texas Industries, Inc. v. Radcliff Materials, Inc., 451 U. S. 630, 643 (1981); see Business Electronics, 485 U. S., at 731 (“The changing content of the term ‘restraint of trade’ was well recognized at the time the Sherman Act was enacted”). Congress could have set the Dr. Miles rule in stone, but it chose a more flexible option. We respect its decision by analyzing vertical price restraints, like all restraints, in conformance with traditional §1 principles, including the principle that our antitrust doctrines “evolv[e] with new circumstancesand new wisdom.” Business Electronics, supra, at 732; see also Easterbrook 139.
The rule of reason, furthermore

Where is Will when you need him? Will?

Spyder,

I suppose I just had a different interpretation when I read it. MD law seems to make minimum pricing illegal, and I understand that Federal law supersedes state law. But to me the Supreme Court saying it must be reviewed on a case by case basis does not make it illegal, it doesn't seem to make it legal either.

This kind of thing makes me glad I did not choose a law career!

Yes, minimum price enforcement is judged on a case to case basis and flyfishing happens to be one of the cases where it was judged OK. Hence, the reason why all the major manufacturers dictate prices.

Back to the original poster... The price for current fishpond items is the same everywhere. Shops may try to discount the price to make the sale but if they get caught doing this Fishpond has the right to discontinue them as a dealer.

Again...buy last year's model. It doesn't have to play nice with the price fixing crowd.

Some shops will discount pretty readily, but not on individual, name brand items. Their approach(Feathter Craft does this alot): spend $100, get $20 off. Spend $200, get $35 off, etc.

This protects them from the liability of discounting name brand product. Works out the same but the manufacturers MSRP appears well protected, despite the bottom line.

Spyder20oz wrote:
Shops even get in trouble when they try to sell new products cheaper on ebay and risk loosing the manufacturer.

Do a bit of research before you speak
http://ffotw.com/?p=1348

After nearly 2 decades in both national and local retail, (and many, many company meetings regarding competitive pricing, gross margin determinations, and vendor contracts) I can’t say that I haven’t done my research…but I might not have done my research recently enough. That ruling was passed right at the time I left. However, I will say that I have never been able to decipher legal rulings accurately, which is why I always relied on a legal team to tell me the practical ramifications of a ruling...and will continue to rely on such a source.
I will add that it doesn’t sound like the ruling eliminates the fact that vendors can, and will, give special price dispensation (cost or MSRP) to companies based on sales volume, price / market testing, QA issues, shipping issues, proprietary products, business development, etc., so I would still recommend nosing around for better prices.
You also seem to assume that every outlet is afraid to “get in trouble” or to lose their vendors…there are many times when a store wants to change vendors or wants to put pressure on their vendors to make them more competitive.
Stores also must try to stay competitive with other stores that are offering incentives (retail price alone isn’t the only enticement…there are many other tactics to lower the consumer’s cost such as free shipping, gift with purchase, store coupons, bulk discounts, loyalty programs, etc.) that are beyond the manufacturer’s price setting controls.
So whatever the affect of the ruling was, vendors have always tried to maintain their MSRP…but stores have and always will be looking for the competitive edge to increase thier own volume.
Even now, after the court ruling, I competitively shop and still find better prices when I look around.

LigonierA1 wrote:
Some shops will discount pretty readily, but not on individual, name brand items. Their approach(Feathter Craft does this alot): spend $100, get $20 off. Spend $200, get $35 off, etc.

This protects them from the liability of discounting name brand product. Works out the same but the manufacturers MSRP appears well protected, despite the bottom line.

That's a great point. I have a card right now that would get me 150 dollars off a 500 dollar purchase at Cabelas. If I used it on a Loomis and got a 150 dollar discount on a Loomis rod, they don't really have a recourse.

Back