Where is a good place to buy decent quality flies?

I have never and will never pay $4 for a fly. Ever.
Dear wildtrout,

Heck, I won't pay that for a spinner or a Rapala. ;) I could see $ 4.00 a fly for an articulated streamer or saltwater fly maybe, but for freshwater no way.

I still recommend Ligas Discount Flies, at $ 12.95 a dozen for standard dryflies they are well worth the money. They can be had for less than that at times using sales and/or coupons. I've been buying patterns I don't want to bother with tying from them for over 15 years and have always been satisfied with what I received and how the flies held up.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Big Y has good stuff, especially the nymphs. Guides who tie thier own stuff don't tie showroom quality stuff, i have been told that by some of them. I can be pickier on drys but BIg Y has some decent stuff of theirs as well. I like to buy drys from shops that get local tied stuff. I am heading up to Penns and will top in to see Bruce or the Feathered Hook or both and pick some stuff up. I always like to support the local shops.

Huntangler is the ultimate hunting & fishing gaming app that brings the thrill of the great outdoors to your fingertips. With realistic graphics and immersive gameplay, this app offers an exciting virtual experience for hunting and fishing enthusiasts. Download Huntangler today and embark on your virtual hunting and fishing adventures like never before.
Really? We're getting spam on our beloved PAFF now?

The only Spam I like is the potted meat.

From the Dette website:

"Every fly we sell is either tied in house or by a handful of select domestic tiers."

I heard this mentioned on a podcast yesterday and thought that was pretty cool. I know the name came up earlier in the thread, but thought it was worth adding on.

I agree, Fly Fishers paradise is awesome. Always try and buy local when I can. Orvis is right down the road from me. I try to hand pick as well rather than buying online, but I’m sure any of the guys mentioned are great.

I don't even like that Spam.
(I tried to find the Gary Larson cartoon but this from the urban dictionary was as close as I got.)

spamalope

Close relative to the antelope and wooly Albertan rhino. Resembles large piece of canned spam with legs, head and tail. Can be seen loping across the savannah alone, no need to travel in packs for predators prefer real meat.
The spamalope quietly grazed as a nearby lion surveyed with disgust.
by elisha and alex October 2, 2005

Oh, there it is...

I'm new here, new to fly fishing for trout as well. I thought I'd start out buying my flies if I can locate a reliable source that sells a decent quality product. I may end up tying my own eventually but that's another skill I don't have at the moment, not to mention all the equipment and supplies.

I figured in this day of internet everything there must be a place to get pretty good flies and at the same time avoid the poor quality ones that I'd guess are also out there. So, if some of you have experience buying flies some place that you feel sells a good product I'd sure appreciate it if you'd share that info with me. Thanks...
I have been buying flies from BigY Flies for over 20 years. They ship super fast, I have received flies from them in 3 days from the west coast.

I'm new here, new to fly fishing for trout as well. I thought I'd start out buying my flies if I can locate a reliable source that sells a decent quality product. I may end up tying my own eventually but that's another skill I don't have at the moment, not to mention all the equipment and supplies.

I figured in this day of internet everything there must be a place to get pretty good flies and at the same time avoid the poor quality ones that I'd guess are also out there. So, if some of you have experience buying flies some place that you feel sells a good product I'd sure appreciate it if you'd share that info with me. Thanks...
I have been buying from BigY for over 20 years.

Back