Where is a good place to buy decent quality flies?

Pa has some of the best local fly shops in the US. I’d start there.

Outside of shops, I’d suggest Orvis, Umpqua, and The Slide Inn (for streamers).

Ebay is definitely worth browsing as well.

BradFromPotter:
Love to hear your reasoning for this?

Because dry flies need to float. To achieve this, dry flies need to be proportioned properly and constructed of better quality materials. Nymphs, not so much.

I bought some cheap FlyStop parachute flies this year bc I struggle tying the parachute part. They caught fish and the cheap gold hooks held up but once I caught 1 or maybe 2 trout, the thread unraveled causing the fly to become useless as the parachute hackle would unravel as well.

I'd recommend trying FlyStop bc you can't go wrong with the price but don't expect quality.

Precision Fly Shop who advertises here has really nice flies. The one thing I especially like is they use a better grade of hook than you often find. Orvis flies are usually all first rate as well.

BradFromPotter:
Love to hear your reasoning for this?

Because dry flies need to float. To achieve this, dry flies need to be proportioned properly and constructed of better quality materials. Nymphs, not so much.
why would you buy cheap nymphs or streamers that will probably fall apart ? With all the floatants out there even cheap dry flies will float.

Cheap flies often don't last long, so they really aren't the bargain they seem to be upfront. Also flies bought for cents instead of over a dollar often are tied on cheap hooks that either bend or break on fish or when stuck on an obstruction. Beware of flies that cost less than the cost of decent hooks and materials to tie them.

All the floatant in the world will not help dry flies that don't land or ride right on the surface and/or flies that are way over dressed with cheap hackle to help them float are also not a bargain in the long run.

Some good suggestions on where to buy in above posts. Well-made flies at a fair price that last and fish well are a better bargain than cheapie flies any time.

Last edited:
1. Local Fly Shops
2. Orvis
3. Fulling Mill
4. Sierra ( they sell Umpqua , MFC & others)

Good mention of Fulling Mill. Surprisingly, mail order from Fulling Mill US is very efficient. Half the shipping price to get the same flies on the Orvis site (or many other fly shops too). Same price for the flies but 5 bucks to ship, not 9 bucks and up to start....

Nothing at the moment, but I may check back with you later....... After you sober up.

I've been ordering from the fly stop for YEARS and never had any issues. I'll buy from "local" guys, B&M shops, etc. but when I need to refill boxes on the cheap, the Fly Stop is where I go. So far, I have not seen a tremendous difference between a $1.50 fly tied in Kenya w/ a $3.00 fly tied in Manchester Vermont. Sorry...

I'm new here, new to fly fishing for trout as well. I thought I'd start out buying my flies if I can locate a reliable source that sells a decent quality product. I may end up tying my own eventually but that's another skill I don't have at the moment, not to mention all the equipment and supplies.

I figured in this day of internet everything there must be a place to get pretty good flies and at the same time avoid the poor quality ones that I'd guess are also out there. So, if some of you have experience buying flies some place that you feel sells a good product I'd sure appreciate it if you'd share that info with me. Thanks...
Yep the flystop would be the place to go. Very good quality.

I've been ordering from the fly stop for YEARS and never had any issues. I'll buy from "local" guys, B&M shops, etc. but when I need to refill boxes on the cheap, the Fly Stop is where I go. So far, I have not seen a tremendous difference between a $1.50 fly tied in Kenya w/ a $3.00 fly tied in Manchester Vermont. Sorry...
Dear Sasquatch,

You reasoning is why I suggested Ligas Discount flies. I'm not going to bother tying Stimulators, or Humpies, or H&L Variants. At less than $1.00 a fly when you buy right and get to pick 4 different sized flies in your dozen why even bother tying?

Nymphs and streamers I handle on my own. Simple dry flies too. But when you need to think about a fly, I mail order, or walk into a shop and buy them.

On a side note, Sierra Trading post is a great place to buy big ol' junk flies too!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Sasquatch,

You reasoning is why I suggested Ligas Discount flies. I'm not going to bother tying Stimulators, or Humpies, or H&L Variants. At less than $1.00 a fly when you buy right and get to pick 4 different sized flies in your dozen why even bother tying?

Nymphs and streamers I handle on my own. Simple dry flies too. But when you need to think about a fly, I mail order, or walk into a shop and buy them.

On a side note, Sierra Trading post is a great place to buy big ol' junk flies too!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
I never heard of Ligas. I'll have to check it out.

Does Orvis tie many/any flies in Vermont? Or do they get them from overseas?

Back