What’s Your Favorite Stream No One Else Has Ever Heard Of?

(40.6200822, -75.4778021) they put some real hogs in here. Throw a little Pautzke fire bait on the hook and hang on!

My favorite has no name it’s a spring that forms a little stream and natives live in it. It lives on a mountain side of the Allegheny forest.

To be fair, I most definitely have a stream that is my favorite that most people have never heard of.

39.997, -80.0405. Get your MOA monsters here!

A couple of small Tioga County streams I've fished a few times come to mind... Not Class A, but with more than enough fish to keep me entertained.

I've never seen anyone else fishing either and was told by a local that only the locals bother fishing there and probably not many bother any longer because there are so many other bigger and more "famous cricks" in the region.

There are also areas that are posted however they can be easily avoided or you can get permission if you know the right people.

I'll tell you the names when Swatty reveals his favorites... ;)

In other news more related to the inspiration for this thread, I was delighted to find Straub on tap at a local restaurant not far from me in Bucks County!! 🍺

In all seriousness those Pautzke eggs are like catnip for fresh stockies. Especially Rainbows.

Fished opening day with some spincasting friends and neighbors a few years ago. I think I caught and bonked 4 fish on 4 casts (2 each for my wife and I to eat), and then was more concerned about breakfast burritos and coffee and beer.

In all seriousness those Pautzke eggs are like catnip for fresh stockies. Especially Rainbows.

Fished opening day with some spincasting friends and neighbors a few years ago. I think I caught and bonked 4 fish on 4 casts (2 each for my wife and I to eat), and then was more concerned about breakfast burritos and coffee and beer.
I don't think I've ever used Pautzkes growing up. I always had Uncle Mike's.

Thanks for snubbing one of my sponsors, Zeke's corn bait. If you ain't fishing the floating variety, you ain't fishing right

Last edited:
Bear Wallow Hollow. I haven't fished it yet. Based on looking at imagery I'm guessing that it may not have very good fishing. And much of the stream is on private property with cabins, so I don't even know if it's open to fishing. But I want to fish it just once because of the name.

Yup, dem pink shrimp flavored ones worked real good. Used that and good old fashioned Berkeley powerbait…. Sparkles needed.

Pautzke Balls O' Fire Salmon Eggs were the stuff of legend when I was first starting trout fishing but hard or impossible to find in SEPA so imagine my delight in finding a jar in a tackle shop on a visit to Boston...

I bought a jar but I never caught squat on them. Uncle Mike's however, served me well...

Later when I started fly fishing I tied egg files that I called Pautzke's in their honor and even THEY worked better than the real deal. ;)

Not because of the fishing, but because our TU Chapter named it through a submission to the USGS. Pachwechenn Run.

40°25'36.0"N 75°34'20.3"W

But is does have a wild BT population that expanded downstream for about a mile to the confluence with the Perkiomen and I would credit your Chapter’s tree plantings on the flat lands between Rt 100 and the mouth with the BT population downstream expansion from the higher gradient stretch decades later as those trees grew enough to shade that former low gradient meadow section.

Uncle Mike's salmon eggs were the go-to back in the day.

Before I started fly fishing I had my single best day EVER fishing for trout on Ridley Creek with natural colored Uncle Mike's salmon eggs.

I caught & released 13 trout that day fishing behind some houses on Section 4 which is no longer stocked by the PFBC and probably 100% posted today.

The sucky part of that day was when I discovered I lost the tip section of my 4-pice Eagle Claw Trailmaster after walking more than mile off the water. I backtracked all the way to the place I was fishing with a grossly inadequate Flex Light but never found the rod tip.

The story does have a happy ending because decades later I had a new tip section made by Eagle Claw UNDER WARRANTY!!! ;)

The rod is in the back of my SUV as I write this. :)

But is does have a wild BT population that expanded downstream for about a mile to the confluence with the Perkiomen and I would credit your Chapter’s tree plantings on the flat lands between Rt 100 and the mouth with the BT population downstream expansion from the higher gradient stretch decades later as those trees grew enough to shade that former low gradient meadow section.

That unknown stream is known by me because it's just down the road and I'll be passing it on my way to Walmart in about 10 minutes... ;)

Nothing like digging out your vest from last opening day and finding the old can of eggs in there.

Back