What line for OBX?

shwng1973

shwng1973

I am heading down to Hatteras OBX in a few weeks and wanted to get another 8wt line to take with me. Mostly will be fishing sod banks and from my kayak in the bay.wondering if a floating line or an intermediate would be best?
Any help would be great.
Thank you all and Tight lines.

Shawn

Intermediate for sure.

Honestly, either would be fine.

I usually use a floating line for shallow salt flats, especially if you want to throw poppers. However, redfish and sea trout are usually targeted with sinking flies so an intermediate might be better, especially if there is a chop on the water. There are also some deeper channels and an intermediate line will work those better.

On a slight off topic note: If you've never fished that area, be aware that the flats are grassy so you will want some flies with weed guards.

Could I use my striper intermediate?
Just a thought.

for the back waters I use a 7-8 wt. setup, DO NOT FORGET black/orange/gold clousers the #1 fly there. what size is your stripe line ??

I don't know if you have access to this info if you're not a forum member. Try the link and see what happens: http://www.outerbanksflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41

If you can't see it, sign up for the board. It's everything you've ever wanted to know about OBX fly fishing, and then some. Also, do a search of the forum here on PAFF. OBX fly fishing has been discussed numerous times in the past.

For fishing streamers, like anywhere else, a sink tip or intermediate line works best. The sounds can be shallow and a floating line may work in places, but overall, at least an intermediate line is your best choice. Not to mention, if you try the surf you'll have better luck with an INT line. I've caught flounder from the surf on the exact fly Sandfly mentioned. Black/orange/red/gold flash Clousers are "money" for some reason down there and they work wonders.

Check out that forum and also do a search here. Lots of good info out there!

Black and Orange with Copper Crystal flash is standard. No reason to mess with the other flash combos mentioned. (no offense)
Honestly after fishing down there for so long I go with the avalon creel crab. That fly is hands down my number one choice for there. I would go intermediate line and get poly leader too for deeper spots.

When fly fishing saltwater, what sorts of things do you have to be worried about as far as equipment getting messed up from saltwater? Do you just have to be mainly concerned with the salt water getting into your reel and corroding it or does the salt also effect fly line and things like that?

Guides and the reel would be the main ones from a corrosion standpoint.

As for the line, it's a plastic and won't react quickly to saltwater, but I'd imagine salt deposits could lead to it needing cleaned more often.

sooner or later everything is affected by salt water, after 50 years fishing salt there's no way around it. just give everything a good cleaning when you get home, including hooks, snips, forceps, rods, reels, etc.

cody I did better with gold than copper 2 years ago when I was down. I would say take both colors of flash.

Saltwater fishing... Give it a good rinse after each day fishing. When you're done with the trip, give everything a GOOD cleaning and lubricate as needed. Saltwater will vaporize non-saltwater components in no time!

A lot of people will tell you an INT is better for saltwater fishing for various reasons. Wont be sloshed around by the waves, lets you fish deeper, etc. I like floating lines. You can mend line and control the fly. If you have floating and INT now, I say you are in good shape. I will add I have never fished OBX, but do lots of kayak/ Bay fishing in Virginia, and some surf fishing in NJ.

Thank you all for the help.
I have a bunch of black/orange and gold. Making the black/orange and cooper.
wgmiller. I had read that last year and it reminded me some stuff i had forgotten..
Thank you for the link again.

Back