What killed the trout?

krayfish2 wrote:
In PA (unfortunately), better chance of seeing a mountain lion than a stream with wild bows. LoL. Yes they do exist but not many of them. The fall / winter closure would cover the majority of the spawn. Why can't we try it on a few select streams and check the impacts (if any) after 36 months?

I'm not just talkimg about PA. How about anywhere? Oh bows are in the redds in the spring so you better not fish spring and early summer..whoops, now the browns and brooks are spawning so don't fish fall into early winter. Summertime the water might be too hot so can't fish the we will stress the trout. Winter time it's to cold if you pull them out their gills could freeze. We might as well just give up our rods..

Those don't all pertain to everywhere but you see my point. And I think that your wild bow theory is a little off. I keep turning more and more of them up in various streams that are either not connected to trout water and unstocked and I'm finding 4 inch long rainbows..

What I want to know is; if closing certain streams or stream sections down in October is such a stupid, crazy idea, why do all those other states do it?

larkmark wrote:
By the way a sportsmen group stocks this every fall even though it has plenty of wild fish. That is what brings the people out.

I don't see that as "by the way."

The stocking of hatchery trout over wild trout is the problem that needs to be fixed.

silverfox wrote:
What I want to know is; if closing certain streams or stream sections down in October is such a stupid, crazy idea, why do all those other states do it?

Because they are subscribing to that theory. That's the reason for it. The better question is do those states have better populations of wild trout ornis their trout fishing better than ours? I bet not, at least not given the same available trout resources and water qualities etc.

Agree troutbert. It is bad enough that state does it but I have to wonder about these clubs that just stock whenever and where ever. I guess there are no regulations?

jifigz wrote:
silverfox wrote:

Because they are subscribing to that theory. That's the reason for it. The better question is do those states have better populations of wild trout ornis their trout fishing better than ours? I bet not, at least not given the same available trout resources and water qualities etc.

From what I've read, it's because of brook trout spawning. i.e.;

Fishing ends in most wild brook trout waters the last day of September for one simple reason, it’s brook trout spawning time. Around mid-October native brookies begin their exhausting spawning rituals. Fisheries officials want wild brookies to be able to go about reproduction undisturbed to insure there will be plenty of fish for another season.

Yeah, we have better brook trout fishing than Maine and Maine has no idea what they're doing. :roll:

A common theme in these northern states is that they seem to take brook trout conservation pretty seriously. PA? not so much.

In my opinion, PA's biggest threat to brook trout is stocking rainbows, browns ,and other hatchery brooks over the natives. How much pressure do these streams even see from October to April? Virtually zero. Most brookie streams see very little pressure as it is (if they are unstocked) and even stocked streams see little pressure after the first month or so of the season.

I don't see the problem with our system.

jifigz wrote:
In my opinion, PA's biggest threat to brook trout is stocking rainbows, browns ,and other hatchery brooks over the natives. How much pressure do these streams even see from October to April? Virtually zero. Most brookie streams see very little pressure as it is (if they are unstocked) and even stocked streams see little pressure after the first month or so of the season.

I agree on the stocking thing. I just think it's probably a wholistic approach that needs to happen, and I think it's what the other states are doing. It's not just about closing trout fishing in the fall to protect brookies, it's a lot of regulations that are created with brookies in mind.

Stop stocking over them, select streams with no harvest, closed fall/winter spawn/incubation period, ideally even some "systems" managed with brook trout in mind. We're really lacking mainstem systems for over-winter habitat. How many here have caught wild brookies in Penns mainstem? We don't know what would happen if we set aside an entire system (including the downstream "marginal water" that gets stocked) for brook trout and put real effort into trying to enhance their numbers/size.

Look at Big Spring for example. That should be 100% brookies only, FFC&RO to the stone arch bridge, no stocking and closed fall/winter. It's the least the PAFBC could do after destroying it. Yet, nothing in the way of protections for the brookies there, and of any place in this state that could use spawning/redd protection, that would be it.

This state seems to manage things from a macro/statewide regulation level based on limited sampling. Study 5 streams, gather data, apply regulations to the entire state based on the results.

silverfox wrote:
jifigz wrote:

I agree on the stocking thing. I just think it's probably a wholistic approach that needs to happen, and I think it's what the other states are doing. It's not just about closing trout fishing in the fall to protect brookies, it's a lot of regulations that are created with brookies in mind.

Stop stocking over them, select streams with no harvest, closed fall/winter spawn/incubation period, ideally even some "systems" managed with brook trout in mind. We're really lacking mainstem systems for over-winter habitat. How many here have caught wild brookies in Penns mainstem? We don't know what would happen if we set aside an entire system (including the downstream "marginal water" that gets stocked) for brook trout and put real effort into trying to enhance their numbers/size.

Look at Big Spring for example. That should be 100% brookies only, FFC&RO to the stone arch bridge, no stocking and closed fall/winter. It's the least the PAFBC could do after destroying it. Yet, nothing in the way of protections for the brookies there, and of any place in this state that could use spawning/redd protection, that would be it.

This state seems to manage things from a macro/statewide regulation level based on limited sampling. Study 5 streams, gather data, apply regulations to the entire state based on the results.

On Penns, for example, how would the brook trout ever recolonize the stream with the browns being so dominant? I would love to see larger streams other than mountain trickles have brook trout but I just don't see how that can ever happen again. Our brown trout are here to stay and better adapted to many of the larger streams which we have altered over history. I'm all for wild trout of any kind and taking the best that we can get.

Jifigz wrote:

Umm, yeah. It's very arguable that those states DO have better wild trout fishing but I guess that has little to do with closing the streams and everything to do with..........

krayfish2 wrote:
Jifigz wrote:

Umm, yeah. It's very arguable that those states DO have better wild trout fishing but I guess that has little to do with closing the streams and everything to do with..........

Well don't stop there. What states are you talking about? Any western States we can rule out right away because their features and hydrology are vastly different. What Eastern states blow us out of the water? And to be quite honest I don't know and that is subjective but I think we've got it pretty dang good.

jifigz wrote:
On Penns, for example, how would the brook trout ever recolonize the stream with the browns being so dominant? I would love to see larger streams other than mountain trickles have brook trout but I just don't see how that can ever happen again. Our brown trout are here to stay and better adapted to many of the larger streams which we have altered over history. I'm all for wild trout of any kind and taking the best that we can get.

Warning, typical silverfox wall of text inbound.

I don't think brookies ever will recolonize streams that are currently taken over by browns. However, I've known for a long time and it's been scientifically proven, that brook trout overwinter in the downstream, mainstem sections of water systems.

Very near where I grew up, there are several small headwater streams that I grew up fishing for brookies. I know them like the back of my hand. I realized once that in the winter, they weren't where they normally were. At least not in the numbers they were in the spring, summer and fall. It was by accident that I ran into them in the downstream "marginal" mainstem in the winter one year. This marginal water is stocked heavily by the state.

What we don't know is the impact restoring that winter habitat has on the population. I'd bet money those stockers cause the brookies problems when they show up in late fall to hang out. What happens if you stop stocking that marginal water?

I guess we go through phases as fly fishermen. Stockers are fun for a while, and then we seek out wild trout. Brookies are fun, but small, so we start looking for big wild browns. Not to be pompous, but I'm over wild brown trout. I've caught huge wild browns, I know where to go tomorrow and catch 20+ inch wild browns. They're not much of a challenge anymore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fishing regardless of the quarry, and I can appreciate a beautiful stream like nobody's business, but I'm personally just a little burned out on brown trout.

It's come down to the brookies for me. Ironically, to the point of booking a trip to Maine to go for bigger ones. That's right, leaving this amazing state with all it's amazing fishing opportunities to fish in a state that is stupid enough to ban trout fishing in the fall/winter. The interesting thing I've found is that there are bigger, better and more brookies south of Pennsylvania. How is it that the mountains of WV, VA, MD and even as far south as SC have better brook trout fishing than the great state of PA?

While I don't like the stocking thing, there are some places down south that are raising and stocking awesome looking brook trout. One in Western SC for example is a place I've actually thought about going to just to catch big stocked brook trout.

There are accounts of 20" plus brook trout being common in PA before the "greats" wanted to make PA more like england and stocked a bunch of brown trout. Of course there's always the argument of "but the forests were cut down in the 1800's which ruined brook trout habitat". Nevermind the fact that most of those logging tracts are state parks now and the canopy is restored.

Like I said, Big Spring is probably the only stream in the entire state that could be restored to be big ST's only. Seems like a no-brainer. I saw an option in the BS management plan to lift the ban on harvesting rainbows to get them out. I'm sure that will never happen. It's not about what's right for the fish, it's about what the fishermen want.

It just seems like there is a bias toward wild browns around here, which just makes me cringe. Seems like every fertile limestone influenced stream in the region is full of wild browns. I guess that's great, but it gets kind of boring after a while. My opinion only.

In the end, the wild browns are about a notch up from the stocked fish. There's still something "fake" about them. A feeling that they shouldn't be here. I know this is extremism. I know half the people here disagree and just want to fish when they want, and for what they want. Just running my mouth from an extremist's perspective I guess.

Silverfox,

I agree with you on almost everything in that post.

However, Big Spring is not the only creek.
There are a few larger freestone streams that have migratory brook trout populations that can and do get bigger.
Not all hope is lost but stocking IMO is going to kill them.

Silverfox,

I agree with you on almost everything in that post.

However, Big Spring is not the only creek.
There are a few larger freestone streams that have migratory brook trout populations that can and do get bigger.
Not all hope is lost but stocking IMO is going to kill them.

It is true that some states south of us offer some good brookie fishing but they also have their problems.

Silverfox, the one thing that I don't get about your post is saying brown trout are boring but brookies are not. I assume that is only because you don't have access to large wild brooks here. If you did why would they be any different after a while than browns? You would know where to go and catch the big brookies, etc. If a trout is starting to bore you why not fish for muskies, walleye, bass, etc?

Either way, since the beginning of time things have been displacing others and taking over and changing the makeup if our world. We human beings have certainly sped that up through our efforts of "trying to do what's best."

The one aspect of your post that intrigues me is the brookies wintering in larger marginal water downstream. In all of the brookie streams I've ever fished I find the fish right where they always are and they don't really have any marginal, dishwater stuff to move into in. The streams are either brown trout through and through or isolated brookie streams that kind of lead to nowhere, so to speak .

What killed the trout? Why, I did, you did and we all took part in it! And if you never fished, "You did too". You ask " How did i do it without fishing", Well, you just sat there and watched it pass by!

It really does not matter "what killed the trout", I am more concerned of "what killed you inside"? Fishing, "is for all to enjoy" and if some get killed, "so be it". Eat some! Enjoy, laughter, friendship, buddy up! Don't forget, "Belly Up Right Here, Pa. The Beautiful".

A lot on complains here! But the "real me', has no complains. Compliments, would be my first thought! Compliments to more water than I will fish in a lifetime. I always said ,"A fisherman could spend a life time on Big Pine Creek and not fish twice".

Best and most thank yous too: Pa. Fish Comm. and all volunteers!
OMG! It has been GREAT! Thank you! Fished every way I could think of, even without a rod! Thank you for the best time I had in my life.

I "Bow to you", I could not do it, the people across the street can not do it, my pals can't. Pa. Fish Commission, what you do and how you do it, is perfect to me and my pals! If anyone doubts this, then why on this site.

"What killed the Trout". I did and damn proud of it!

Maxima12

jifigz wrote:
It is true that some states south of us offer some good brookie fishing but they also have their problems.

Silverfox, the one thing that I don't get about your post is saying brown trout are boring but brookies are not. I assume that is only because you don't have access to large wild brooks here. If you did why would they be any different after a while than browns? You would know where to go and catch the big brookies, etc. If a trout is starting to bore you why not fish for muskies, walleye, bass, etc?

Either way, since the beginning of time things have been displacing others and taking over and changing the makeup if our world. We human beings have certainly sped that up through our efforts of "trying to do what's best."

The one aspect of your post that intrigues me is the brookies wintering in larger marginal water downstream. In all of the brookie streams I've ever fished I find the fish right where they always are and they don't really have any marginal, dishwater stuff to move into in. The streams are either brown trout through and through or isolated brookie streams that kind of lead to nowhere, so to speak .

I think it's the fact that the browns shouldn't be here. That's why they're less interesting to me. That, and I think brookies are way more attractive looking. :)

I do fish for other species. Everything from panfish to bluefish.

I have a theory about the migratory brookies. It goes with my frustration with how this state manages the fishery. Not every stream, strain or fish behaves the same. There are probably migratory genes in some of the fish, and some not. Maybe some systems have historically supported the migration while others haven't. Some systems have different temperature profiles throughout the year. Different chemistry etc. I don't know.

For further reading on the mainstem migration, see here:

https://www.thetroutlook.com/latest-updates/where-do-all-the-fish-go

What Killed the Trout! You did!

On this type of discussion, I feel this topic is one that will out preform any other topics. "What Killed The Trout". Great for a book! Up to writing? Let's write this, Brother's + Sister's. Notice the plus, plus, plus, sisters, Who amoung you will be "Red Ibis". Well when you find her, she going fishing with Maxima12! You want some Ibis, I got it!

What killed the trout, Tell me brother, In the story be mindful you forget, or not! The Trout, forget the stream ,it is in your mind! Seems you will remember who killed it, good, hope i remember what day it is tomorrow? Remember, writing from me is best when wet!

I never told a false story, you get what I feel!

Maxima12

The Brook Trout, Oh Boy! Ate them like corn on the cob! Yep, Am i happy about that, yep! The backstream, The small, the pure, Grab on now! The best of being "COOL", extenden version of being "ALLRIGHT". How can i go wrong with all! Yeah! I got it all, you poor bastards, Maxima is always a bastard! But no more they say!

I always keep a hidden gem, thee best, not exactly for me, And how about where i come from,

Maxima12

Back