What is the nicest fly shop you have visited?

Cold Spring Anglers.

DaveS wrote:
Can’t argue with Beartooth. I always get a nice reception at FFP as well. BUT Woody, at Indiana Angler will sometimes near quitting time on a Friday, offer me a beer. That’s pretty damn nice in my book!
. Just saw Woody at Beartooth Outffitters in Cameron MT. He was there with his wife on vacation ....( Stays at Beartooth Outtfitters) .......My vote is also for Beartooth Outfitters..... Nancy ( Dans's wife is a Pennsylvania girl) ......... Inside the shop hanging on the wall is a picture of Dan Delecta, Craig Mattews & Jerassic ( forget his first name, sorry ......Ron I think) Anyway it's a picture of the three of them from 1982 standing in front of Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone .......The three of them were going to sale " Custom Tied Flies "by the dozen..... Ended up Dan went on his own ,Craig and Ron (?) Expanded into a full fledged Fly Fishing store...... Just come back from fishing the Madison for a month and a half........Going back out as soon as I clear up some business back home....( mid-August around 3rd week) I love it out there and will retire there shortly.....

I've been in three fly shops in my life, two in Pa and one in MT. So I wouldn't know a good one if I saw it. I've only ever looked at their flies and materials. I don't pay any attention to the equipment.

I've only been in about 5 fly shops in my life and all have been in Pennsylvania. The nicest is probably TCO but the one that I spend my money at is Flyfisher's Paradise. Those guys are generally very down to earth, not snooty, and very helpful in their advice. Now the one guy that may be known to spin some tales from time to time. Lol

Not to hijack the thread, but perhaps on the other end of the spectrum...Peno’s Bait Shop in Sinnamahoning. A tree fell on the roof recently, so duck before you enter. Pretty crazy.

On the local front, I have to say that the new TCO/Orvis in Haverford is pretty damn nice. The younguns who staff the place are friendly and 100% knowledgeable as well. I really like it there.

Cabelas. I don't go to many fly shops.

Yeah, I dunno....seems like so many fly shops are the same nowadays...same polished displays, points of sale and corporate cookie cutter-ness. To the point where they're hard to tell apart anymore because they're all so 'nice'.

I prefer something with character...the old Yellow Breeches Outfitters with that nasty, dingy carpet, Feathered Hook, Bruce's little shop further down on Penns Creek, Spruce Creek Outfitters. and maybe one of my all time favorites is Slate Run/Wolfe's General Store that was mentioned earlier. Bought my first cane rod there in the mid-90's and it's always a bit of nostalgia when I get to visit, like stepping back in time.

Lkyboots wrote:
Bought a rod for my son in West Yellowstone, a Reddington, I still use it.

Hilarious

Well if that's funny, I'm also using his Winston rod and Abel reel, his vice and fly tying tools. I would of liked to have been able to use the drift boat I bought him when he was a guide in Montana but he sold it.lol He quit fly fishing when he moved back to Pa. I've kept his things if he decides to get fishing again in his old age.

As far as tying and flies are concerned, Fly Tyers Heaven in Sunbury is awesome. Pretty much ever material known to man can be found here, great hackle selection, and good solid advice for tying and fishing alike.

If “nicest” has anything to do with the personality of the staff and being able to get what I want, versus what they stock and have hanging on the hook, the hands down winner for me is the long defunct Eyler’s in Bryn Mawr.

They were/are the only fly shop I ever went to that would order me anything I asked for AND let me know if they couldn’t get it instead of not bothering to follow up if they can’t like the rest do.

Runner-up would be the Yellow Breeches shop when Shenk, Koch and Baltz were running things.

Coincidentally both shops exist today under new ownership but I find them and most other fly shops rather sterile, stocked with stuff I don’t care for and staffed with folks with zero personality that act as if they could care less about customers unless they are totally bored and have nothing better to do than engage.

These days I hardly ever bother ever bother walking into a fly shop anymore and much prefer doing my shopping and buying on the Internet.

I loved the old On The Fly shop near the G.P. in Hereford MD. Now I love Backwater Angler. Great people, Nice building still in Hereford MD.

I like the Feathered Hook. It's not the nicest building, but the shop it self has character and is full of characters. The inventory is great and it also has best fly selection I've seen in PA. The only thing missing is a tying section.

the nicest fly shop i have ever visited is easily Slate Run tackle but that is most assuredly because I know Jeddy and Tom because of knowing some of the same people in lancaster.

My next favorite is fly tiers heaven in Sunbury because they have everything. Literally every (Language!!) thing and then some. The owner was super nice and his ties are ridiculously nice. What a great shop.

High on my list is Fly Fisher’s Paradise. Dave there is a freaking wealth of knowledge if you are willing to listen. I mean, really slow down and listen. I had clients up this past fall and he saw that and my customers wanted to swing wets. Dave, spelled it out to me and made me look like a champ. Plus he was very helpful getting my folks to understand what to look for. they’re a great shop that offer the kind of experience you cant find anywhere Else.

The next on my list is spruce creek just because the folks ther are super nice and knowledgeable and have always pointed us in a great direction. Plus, it’s the Lil J , I mean, what a f-in great place to fish in Pa.

I’ve been to Penns Creek angler and Bruce has always been kind and supportive. He’s such a great host and really freakin loves fly anglers. Plus he has some of the whackiest ties that catch fish like a demon.

In a tie with PCA is A&G outfitters in Scranton. Not only is Adam really super nice but his dad is the (Language!!). Greg came out and sat with us on the banks one morning and gave us the run down of the Lackyjust for kicks. What a great and generous family.

Next I would say The Sporting gentleman in MEdia because they are just awesome if you like a real old school feeling shop for those of you who know what that means. Barry and I didn’t know each other well but every time I went in there he knew I loved old school Orvis rods and we would bond over that. They carry used gear which many shops wont and I love that. Steve is super helpful and barry’s Daughter is super knowledgeable too. Real deal fly shop there.

The Feathered Hook is fine and Jonas has come a long way. I went in there the first time and got a rough ride but it’s changed since then. Now it’s better and I will be back.

Just my 2 cents

Hey D....Great post > just watch your P's & Q's or more precisely your F's and S's..... :) > Afish...

Nancy and Dan Delekta are great people! Agreed!

Dear Board,

I'll readily admit that I haven't visited many fly shops in the last 5 or so years. But when I was younger I got around to many of them.

These three shops are where I spent most of my time since I took the sport up in earnest my freshman year at Dear Old State.

AA Outfitters - My brother Terry and I were the two big dudes hanging around the shop most weekends from 1987 until Terry moved to Colorado in 1997. Bob and Mary Lou became close personal friends and introduced us to many people that are still friends today. And their dog Boozer was the coolest dog that ever walked the planet. I'd give anything to take one more ride with Terry and Boozer to Orloski's up by the turnpike. They might not even be in business anymore, but we took Boozer for a kielbasa every Saturday and Sunday morning without fail. I haven't visited Gene in Blakeslee recently, but he is one of the people that we were introduced to by Bob and Mary Lou. He's just as good a guy, but I haven't been fishing much lately so I haven't had the chance to see him.

Clouser's - Terry and I learned so much from Bob Clouser and his son Bob Jr it's hard to put into words. We didn't just learn fishing from him. We learned about life, and nature, and being patient and observing and taking in all that was in front of us each and every day. The other thing that was so great about Clouser's was that it was literally an extension of their living room. I think Bob's wife's name is Joanne but I'm not sure? Anyway, sometimes when we were there she would bring something out for Bob to eat. She'd take one look and see the Murphy boys were there and run back inside bringing more for us. I also was lucky enough to be blowing off an afternoon's work one day in 2002 when Lefty Kreh walked in. I stood there for hours talking with Bob and Lefty. I barely made it home in time to let the dog out that afternoon.

Flyfisher's Paradise - When I was just starting out and they were on the topside of the Lemont Post Office in that little cubbyhole that couldn't hold 3 people Steve and Dan took me under their wings. Steve actually hand wrote with drawings the instructions needed to lie a Muskrat nymph, a Leadwing Coachman, and a Marabou Muddler on 3x5 index cards when I bought my fly tying kit from him freshman year at Penn State. Throughout the years Dan and Steve and every single one of the people who ever worked at FFP extended that same courtesy to my brother Terry and any friends I brought along over the years. One day in May of 1996 while Terry and I stopped in pick up some tippet Steve introduced us to George Harvey. We sat at the front table and listened to Mr. Harvey talk about fly fishing for about 5 hours. It was quite the experience.

Ed's Fly Shop - This is an honorable mention only because I was only there 3 or 4 times. Ed taught me more about tying and fishing wet flies than I had learned in my entire lifetime any other way. For those of your who aren't familiar with the coal region it had a lot of great wet fly fishermen, most of whom took their secrets to their graves. Not so with Ed. Ed also built and repaired rods. I had a Fenwick ultralight spinning rod I bought with paper route money when I was 14 that was trashed. I managed to find the Aetna Foulproof guides for the rod but was scared to re-do it myself. I asked Ed if he would be willing to do it, and asked for a price if he was interested? This was in 2004. Ed said, "4 guides and a tip-top, how does $ 10.00 sound?" I handed him the rod and a week later had it back with perfectly matching Fenwick brown and white tipped wraps.

I know this post is long and boring, but I'm old and I needed to say some things about the people I've met and the friends I've made over the years.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Board,

I'll readily admit that I haven't visited many fly shops in the last 5 or so years. But when I was younger I got around to many of them.

These three shops are where I spent most of my time since I took the sport up in earnest my freshman year at Dear Old State.

AA Outfitters - My brother Terry and I were the two big dudes hanging around the shop most weekends from 1987 until Terry moved to Colorado in 1997. Bob and Mary Lou became close personal friends and introduced us to many people that are still friends today. And their dog Boozer was the coolest dog that ever walked the planet. I'd give anything to take one more ride with Terry and Boozer to Orloski's up by the turnpike. They might not even be in business anymore, but we took Boozer for a kielbasa every Saturday and Sunday morning without fail. I haven't visited Gene in Blakeslee recently, but he is one of the people that we were introduced to by Bob and Mary Lou. He's just as good a guy, but I haven't been fishing much lately so I haven't had the chance to see him.

Clouser's - Terry and I learned so much from Bob Clouser and his son Bob Jr it's hard to put into words. We didn't just learn fishing from him. We learned about life, and nature, and being patient and observing and taking in all that was in front of us each and every day. The other thing that was so great about Clouser's was that it was literally an extension of their living room. I think Bob's wife's name is Joanne but I'm not sure? Anyway, sometimes when we were there she would bring something out for Bob to eat. She'd take one look and see the Murphy boys were there and run back inside bringing more for us. I also was lucky enough to be blowing off an afternoon's work one day in 2002 when Lefty Kreh walked in. I stood there for hours talking with Bob and Lefty. I barely made it home in time to let the dog out that afternoon.

Flyfisher's Paradise - When I was just starting out and they were on the topside of the Lemont Post Office in that little cubbyhole that couldn't hold 3 people Steve and Dan took me under their wings. Steve actually hand wrote with drawings the instructions needed to lie a Muskrat nymph, a Leadwing Coachman, and a Marabou Muddler on 3x5 index cards when I bought my fly tying kit from him freshman year at Penn State. Throughout the years Dan and Steve and every single one of the people who ever worked at FFP extended that same courtesy to my brother Terry and any friends I brought along over the years. One day in May of 1996 while Terry and I stopped in pick up some tippet Steve introduced us to George Harvey. We sat at the front table and listened to Mr. Harvey talk about fly fishing for about 5 hours. It was quite the experience.

Ed's Fly Shop - This is an honorable mention only because I was only there 3 or 4 times. Ed taught me more about tying and fishing wet flies than I had learned in my entire lifetime any other way. For those of your who aren't familiar with the coal region it had a lot of great wet fly fishermen, most of whom took their secrets to their graves. Not so with Ed. Ed also built and repaired rods. I had a Fenwick ultralight spinning rod I bought with paper route money when I was 14 that was trashed. I managed to find the Aetna Foulproof guides for the rod but was scared to re-do it myself. I asked Ed if he would be willing to do it, and asked for a price if he was interested? This was in 2004. Ed said, "4 guides and a tip-top, how does $ 10.00 sound?" I handed him the rod and a week later had it back with perfectly matching Fenwick brown and white tipped wraps.

I know this post is long and boring, but I'm old and I needed to say some things about the people I've met and the friends I've made over the years.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)
. Might have been long......certainly not boring....Love hearing about the "sport " and it's note able anglers....Have met a few , most from out west/ Montana area.... Kelley Gallop , Dan Delecta , Craig and Jackie Mattews , Bob Jacklin ...

South Creek LTD Lyons, Colorado
Right on Main Street. A great place to stop in on your way to Rocky Mountain National Park. Very small but just has a great feel to it. The owner is a master bamboo rob marker. Some day I hope to own one.

Back