What is the nicest fly shop you have visited?

Acristickid

Acristickid

What is the nicest fly shop you have visited? I have no vested interest in any particular shop but just was thinking of this as something fun to think about.

This is subjective but I mean in terms of the actual shop itself.

I have been to the shops around Jackson, West Yellowstone, Aspen, Pere Marquette and several more. Galloups tying table is impressive but the shop itself was okay.

I have not been to any in the Catskills or NYC or San Francisco.

The most impressive shop I have visited was Henry’s Fork Angler in Last Chance , Idaho. The wooden exterior, the expansiveness of the interior with a library sitting area, lotsa merchandise etc. Also had a great staff- talked with Mike Lawson a couple times. (Trouthunter across the street has a big following but I thought Henry’s Fork Angler shop is much more impressive.)

I realize that a big shop with lotsa merchandise does not automatically make it a great shop. Of course, our local shops are great like Flyfishers Paradise, TCO, International Angler.

The new Mossy Creek Fly Shop, Harrisonburg, Virginia.

Beartooth Fly Fishing in Cameron MT

Nothing else I've seen even comes close. It's a big old log house in the middle of nowhere along the Madison that is completely filled with gear. They have so much stuff it can be hard to move around inside. It stands out even in the land of fly-shops that is south west MT.

Dally's Ozark Fly Fisher

My out of state vote would be Galloup's. Recently renovated, fantastic tying selection and great taxidermy, plus his badass tying table.

My PA choice would have to be International Angler.

I was at the Taylor Creek Fly Shop in Basalt, CO for a guided trip on the Frying Pan River on Father's Day weekend. That is a very impressive place. I am a regular customer at the Evening Hatch Fly Shop in White Haven, PA.

Can’t argue with Beartooth. I always get a nice reception at FFP as well. BUT Woody, at Indiana Angler will sometimes near quitting time on a Friday, offer me a beer. That’s pretty damn nice in my book!

Have to be the one in Cody Wyoming or West Yellowstone. Bought a rod for my son in West Yellowstone, a Reddington, I still use it. Sorry, don't remember the name of the stores.

allthingsfishing wrote:
The new Mossy Creek Fly Shop, Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Yes, Mossy Creek is hands down the nicest.

Unicoi Outfitters on the Chattahoochee River in Helen, GA is really nice too.

In order
1) Mossy Creek New Building (Harrisonburg Va)
2) Grizzly Hackle (Missoula)
3) WorldCast Anglers (Victor ID)
4) Charlie's Flybox (Denver)
HR) Slide Inn Does have a very nice tying table

Peak Fly Shop in Colorado Springs. Nicely stocked and great Staff/guide service

Nicest building or interior? I've been in trout hunter and slide inn, wouldnt say them. West branch angler is pretty fancy I guess.

Jimmy's All Season Angler in Idaho falls is a solid shop. I think FFP is a very solid shop. Melinda's in Altmar is another solid shop.

Hacheys fly shop in Veazie, ME is pretty unassuming but when the owner showed me what he had in the basement it was pretty impressive to say the least. At least 10 bogdans, at least 2 Herman's, and tons of old school maine bamboo rods (Edward's, Leonard, thomas, etc.) His basement probably had close to 300k worth of tackle in it. He had quite a few abels and tibors upstairs as well.

I was in another shop in Bangor maine that was in a guys garage in his backyard that was packed with good gear as well. He must have had 50 abel reels among other items.

I think those Bangor guys did pretty well when there was a salmon season on the penobscot and still have most of their high end stock left over after salmon fishing was shut down.

My experience is limited, but Smoky Mountains Outfitters is very friendly as is Fly Fisher's Paradise. Unfortunately FFP hours are limited and the last few times I went to them, I had to run down the road a bit to TCO, which were also nice, but not quite as nice. I like Jonas at Feathered Hook, but unless you know him and are willing to be ribbed, you would think he is an ***.

Tough question for me.
I've been in a some very nice shops in PA, NY, and many of the western states.

One place that does stand out a bit to me though, is Slate Run Tackle Shop.
Besides being a fine fly shop, you can get a good sandwich there. It's also a general store, where you can load up on camping supplies.
And even gas up your vehicle there

Great call Dfg
Also good call on beartooth

In addition to North Jersey and Pa shops.....

Folks at blue ribbon flies (West Yellowstone) were great as were the guys at Snake River Anglers (Jackson Hole).

Bears Den in Taunton Ma has an expansive and well organized shop. Worth the stop if you are heading north on 95...hours are a little different as the are closed in the morning to process internet orders.

Have to go with TCO at least in PA. I always feel welcome in his shops.

I like both Flyfishser's Paradise and the Slate Run Tackle Shop, though I have less experience at Slate Run.

JackM wrote:
My experience is limited, but Smoky Mountains Outfitters is very friendly as is Fly Fisher's Paradise. Unfortunately FFP hours are limited and the last few times I went to them, I had to run down the road a bit to TCO, which were also nice, but not quite as nice. I like Jonas at Feathered Hook, but unless you know him and are willing to be ribbed, you would think he is an ***.
. No your right about Jonas ......he is an ***......

Back