What is a "popular" pattern that you have never fished or haven't fished in a long time?

krayfish2

krayfish2

I'll open myself up the criticism for saying this but I have never fished a royal wulff. Didn't look like anything real to me so I didn't believe in it. Won't be using one anytime soon either 😁

Probably been 20 years since I've fished a hares ear, Montana nymph or an Adams.

I'll open myself up the criticism for saying this but I have never fished a royal wulff. Didn't look like anything real to me so I didn't believe in it. Won't be using one anytime soon either 😁

Probably been 20 years since I've fished a hares ear, Montana nymph or an Adams.

I started to type that I have never caught a trout on a green weenie. Then, I remembered catching 2 stockers last year. One of my first fly-caught trout was on a caddis pupa. Haven't used one in 40 years.

Last edited:

Royal Wulff for me also. Not sure why. Just condensed flies I carried and included them. Weird. I’ll try one in the next couple days now just because.

Greenie weenie is another. Trying to stay away from the dark side 😂

No Royal Wulff or Royal Coachman but I have used a Ausable Wulff quite awhile ago.

Just about any wet fly or streamer. I did try a hare's ear a few weeks ago in a small creek for the first time in many years. I snagged and broke it off after about three casts. I think the last wet fly I used before that was a green weenie in Slate Run... 5 or 6 years ago?
It's been a while since I used any of the (dry) stone flies and I can't recall ever having used a royal coachman or royal Wulff.

Ausable Wulff and Royal Wulff are my go to fly for brookie fishing.
I can't remember the last time I fished an Adams.

Squirmy wormy (don't own any) or Green Weenie (takes up space in my box). I guess I should try them both but neither seems as much fun as fishing a bugger, swinging wets, or fishing soft hackles.

I have used a Royal Wulff in a pinch during the Iso hatch, worked too! :) but they were holdover stockers so that only partially counts. lol

I’ve never had much luck with Squirmy Worms. I have some in my box but they mostly take up space. Fished a Royal Wulff once in TN. A small rainbow came up and smacked at it, but that was the one and only time I’ve fished it.

The Royal Wulff is also my go to brookie fly. A hatch matcher it is not. A white marabou streamer used to be one of my favorites, but I have not tied one on in more than 20 years. I tie dozens of mop flies for others but have never fished one.

I will never attach a "Squirmy Wormy" on the end of my line for personal reasons. A fly I used to have in my box but no more is the Muddler Minnow. I never found trout that liked it no matter how I presented it.

when I first started fly fishing I used the royal wulff and green weenie religiously. I caught plenty of fish with them so I’m not sure why they fell out of favor. I guess because they are attractor flies and I have since gone with more natural patterns.

Dear krayfish2,

Royal Wulff's, Royal Trude's, Royal Humpy's and H&L Variants are the only brookie dry flies you need from mid-April until the snow flies.

I realize that you don't fish for "gemmies", but they definitely work!

I've never caught a fish on lots of flies. Breadcrusts and stonefly nymphs come to mind, unless you count a Prince Nymph or Casual Dress tied on a size 6 Mustad 9672 as a stonefly. I've never caught a fish other than a bluegill on a duck quill down winged wet fly either. Chernobyl Ants and the various adult stonefly imitations like the Madam X have gone fishless for me for decades.

But the #1 fishless fly for me is the San Juan worm. I caught the snot out of trout on the Dream Stream between Spinney Mtn and Elevenmile Reservoirs in Colorado. I literally caught fish when I leaned over to release a fish and dropped my fly into the water below me. I never shuffled either. Upstream, lightly weighted with shot only for me. The fish on the Dream Stream literally ran into my wading shoes trying to get me to move! I brought many back to PA, in many colors. Even sunnies won't hit them for me! Which is kind of ironic because the bead body IPW in it's pink color has caught many fish for me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Perdigons. I don't like beadhead flies and they are basically a bead on a hook. No thanks.

If we are talking about flies that I carry, it would have to be a Muddler Minnow. I think I have two in my box now that I guess I carry for sentimental reasons.

The list of flies I never fished is huge since I really don't tie a lot of different patterns, just generic imitations of bugs I encounter that really only vary by size & color.

So I've never fished a Green Weenie, Squirmy Wormy, Perdigons, Chernobyl Ants, Klinkhammers, Montana Nymph, Stimulators; I could go on for days...

Last edited:
Royal Coachman and Royal Wulff. They just never appealed to me. If I'm going to use an attractor fly, it may as well look remotely natural, imo. Other than some flashy streamers, the only other 'unnatural' looking patterns I really use are a few bright variations of the prince nymph that I target stockers with, and an occasional blowtorch, although even with the BT I'm usually tying a version that more closely resembles a peeping Caddis and typically fishing it around Grannom time. Even most of my egg patterns are usually natural tones. Perhaps I'm just a boring person, LOL.

Back