What is a "popular" pattern that you have never fished or haven't fished in a long time?

Royal Coachman….
What does it imitate?

Elk Hair Caddis…..
So many other variations that work WAY better.

Probably been 20 years since I've fished a hares ear, Montana nymph or an Adams.
Me too, but, like basically NEVER fished any of those. When I saw your prompt, I thought "Adams" right away.
Syl

Adams
Henryville Special
Royal Wulff
Griffiths Gnat
Muddler Minnow

Woolly bugger (at least for trout; I do use them in WW)
Any beadhead nymph.

Popular pattern I have never fished: Perdigon.
Standard fly in the box that never gets used: Muddler Minnow.

In my mind flies based on other flies go together, like an Elk Hair Caddis vs a CDC variant, because I would readily use one or the other based on which was in the box. I like all those classics dryflyguy listed. It's fun to catch trout on a Royal Wulff, it's easy to see, and it can pull duty as a stylish bobber. And while my Muddler has not muddled for decades, I would use it if there weren't so many other streamers from which to choose. In spite of rumors to the contrary, streamers and wet flies do actually catch trout. The San Juans are just taking up space so no reason to replace with Squirmies.

One old school streamer that has rarely let me down is the Mickey Finn. Maybe because it is used much anymore, but even wise old fish seem to fall for it.

Interesting thread. I have no aversion or particular fondness to any fly, other than if that day it works or doesn’t.

Except egg patterns, i think I’d die from shame if i tied one on, guess i just fell off my high horse.

I've noticed what I tie on or don't tie on seems to affect a fly's effectiveness. A Muddler Minnow hasn't caught fish for me in many years because I haven't tied one on. Now I'm going to have to tie one on the next time I'm reaching for a streamer or a grasshopper pattern. After all, there's a perfect, unused example in my box. I suspect any of the flies listed in this thread is capable of catching a trout.

Mops, squirmy worm,humpy, and Adams are a few that come to mind.

Back