What do you wear under waders in summer?

Double post.

In warmer weather I wear the lightweight fishing pants with the legs tucked into the socks if wearing waders. If wet wading I wear the same pants tucked into neoprene socks and of course the wading boots. Some may wear shorts while wet wading but I still prefer the pants for sun, bug & brush protection.

In cooler weather I use the fleece or microfleece wading pants w/stirrups under the waders. It's just a matter of choosing the right combo for the job.

Another key component for comfort is I ditch the cotton skivvies for the technical nylon version. Cotton takes forever to dry if it gets wet. The nylon dry in minutes, even in colder weather.

When I picked up a replacement pair of waders from the Greys distributor in Lancaster last year, the guy told me not to wear jeans under them because it will wear your out your inner coating. Not that cotton jeans are ideal anyway. Thoughts?

At risk of hijacking the thread, it depends on the layering system the manufacturer uses to construct the garment. This info comes from a rep of a leading manufacturer of waders.

The single layer system bonds the breathable membrane to the inside of the fabric shell of the garment (nylon, etc.). Therefore the membrane is subject to abrasion from the inside as you wear the garment.

The two layer system is the same but adds a interior liner layer to guard against abrasion.

I think he also said there is a three layer system with the outer fabric layer, the membrane as a separate layer not bonded to the outer layer, and the liner layer.

Back