What do you wear under waders in summer?

sandfly wrote:
Nothing but socks, like to stay real cool !

Sandy going Commando! Not surprising that you report the streams are empty up there.

be like shakey, and wear a tux!

underarmor pants.
Pcray, when i travel to and from the river or have to stop somewhere I bring a pair of light shorts and slip them on. This way I'm not out and about in the tight-fitting pants. If the weather's not too hot, the shorts can be left on for wading and you can put your keys in the pocket.

Under my waders I 've been wearing micro fleece pants. They have a draw string at the waste,two side pockets and stirrups on the bottom so they don't ride up when your putting your waders on and taking them off. Have them in two different weights, light pair for warm weather and heaver pair for cooled weather. There absolutely perfect they keep you cool in the summer and warm on those cold days. Seen them in a couple different fly fishing catalogues. Bought mine form Cabela's and LL Bean around $30.00 a pair. The other thing is they look good too at least to go into a store or restaurant and lay around camp. Definitely a good buy,won't wear anything but these on my outings.

I wear my shorts. Same ones I wear to play soccer. Light weigth. I just got used to the feel of waders on my legs. Feels good to feel the temp of the water on my legs. If I wear long pants, I agree w/ Kray on the Dockers (or rather, the Walmart version, whatever!)

I'm definitely a sock tucker! Especially in the winter. I like to wear ****ies under my waders in the winter, tucked into wool socks. Styling.

I only wet wade when im at camp, or close to home. but that being said i wear my waders 90% of the time in the summer. I have a few things i do.

First off, i buy my wading boots a size big (for layering socks and stuff in winter) so in the summer i still have to wear bigger socks. With that being said, i bought a pair of knee high white baseball socks, and then i wear them with shorts. It keeps most of that wader to skin contact to a minimum and to be honest its super comfortable and not to warm on the feet.

another option as a few people have said are the fishing pants. I have a few pair of the cheapo wal mart (fish America brand or something like that) and a few pairs of Simms guide pants that i have no problem wearing under my waders as long as i tuck them into my socks. the Simms pants (older guide pant, not the new material stuff) are super comfortable. the newer material is nice but its far behind on the comfort side of things

"Patagonia capilene 1 silkweight. Keeps you cool and dry." +1

I do a lot of hiking in waders in the summer, this stuff and decent breathables really help....

http://tinyurl.com/pqgahrb

"One thing that we have found in the past is that what you wear under your waders makes a HUGE difference in overall comfort. One would think that wearing nothing would be the most comfortable, since there would be no extra layer for the moisture to pass through, (allowing the breathable fabric to directly draw the moisture through the wader). In reality however, this was one of the most uncomfortable ways to wear the waders...."

"Next to nothing at all, the worst thing you can wear under your waders is cotton – like your favorite jeans. Cotton soaks up the moisture and does not allow it to vent out through the breathable waders. So forget about wearing your jeans under waders. If you are going to spend hard earned money on a pair of nice waders, take the time and money to invest in some moisture wicking long underwear that will allow the wader’s breathable laminate to work properly."

... ." we felt that Patagonia’s Capilene was hands down the most comfortable and had the greatest “moisture wicking” performance of any base layer brand out there. ..."

"we know from experience that during the hot summer months, the best layer to wear next to skin is Patagonia’s Capilene 1 Silkweight. We’ve been wearing this stuff and comparing it with comparable brands for over 10 years and can honestly say it’s the landslide winner. "

Depending on where I'm fishing I will wet wade or use waste high waders. I go by, if theres a sewer plant don't wet wade. I wear columbia fishing pants either way, they dry out fast and they are pretty tough, except for rubbing against nettles.

Thanks all. I may later pick up a pair of the Patagonia silk weights that Bob described, they do sound perfect. But for now, I'm making a Cabela's wish list for Christmas, and they don't have anything like that. I did put a pair of the zip-off pant/shorts things on there. I have a pair, but perhaps it's just the cut and fabric. Rather loose around the bottoms, so there's a lot of material and putting them under socks doesn't work well. And they ride up if I don't.

I like stirrups, and they do make wader pants with stirrups, but everything I've found is fleece. I have a pair and they're great in cool weather. But fleece isn't ideal in the summer, especially if a lot of hiking is on the ticket, which it often is once I get into June and July.

The zip-off pants/shorts would be PERFECT if they made them with stirrups. My backup option is the under-armor with shorts overtop. That would work. It'd look funny, but no inappropriate. Just a little "European".

Brookieaddict, let me guess, the 18" brown is to scale. AmIright?

Pat - I do the tropical style wading pants thing, but add a pair of these:

http://www.bagdepot.com/hunting_final/hg11/hg_346.htm

Cabelas makes similar ones, but they're thicker. Still work OK though.

I like the ones in the link better. You can put them above the area where your boots fit, and you don't even know they're there - except that your pants don't slide up. They're thin enough to wear around your ankles, and they don't seem to affect the boot fit much at all. Very comfy.

Works for me, and they're a cheap alternative that might be the solution for you.

H.A.

Dear Pcray,

Exactly how difficult would it be to sew a strip of elastic inside the cuff of your pants making your own stirrup? It can't be any harder than tying a fly.

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;-)

Sewing in stirrups is an engineering solution looking for a problem. Folding your pant legs around your ankles and slipping over your socks works like a charm. Just search Google for directions, a tutorial or maybe there's a video posted on youtube or Vimeo. ;-)

Dear Afish,

Pat said tucking his pants into his socks doesn't work for him?

Maybe he needs to buy taller socks instead of trying to use ankle socks because I don't think I know anyone else who has a problem with tucking their pant legs into their socks. It's been the way to do things for centuries.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

When I was new to fly fishing - and hadn't yet figured out the intricacies of pulling my socks up over my pant legs - I bought a set of straps with velcro on them, that wrapped around my calves to keep pants from riding up my legs. All of the fly shops sold them then, and I guess they still might be available.

There's a Columbia Store at the Pottstown outlets.

Maybe he needs to buy taller socks instead of trying to use ankle socks because I don't think I know anyone else who has a problem with tucking their pant legs into their socks.

I said it didn't work with the current pair I have. Might be just their cut and fit. I'm short and fat. It's hard to find like a 38-28, lol. So most of my pants are an inch or two too long, leading to lots of material to "bunch up" down there. Plus, that pair of zip-offs I have seem like bell bottoms down there.

I acknowledged that new pair might solve the problem.

The sewing on of a stirrup is a good idea. I never think of engineering solutions in my everday life, lol.

Dear Pcray,

Here's another idea, maybe you could save the money on elastic and hem the pants that you have?

That's how people used to shorten their pants in the old days. It still works today too!

I'm tall and fat, my pants always fall down. Maybe I need to sew some suspender tabs on 'em?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I wear nursing scrubs from workngear $11. 3 for 25 bucks.

Very light cotton, drawstring pants. Green or sky blue.

Not my idea though - a bud is married to a nurse and he though of it.

Deffo need tucking into long socks though. I use soccer socks.

Back