What Are You Tying Today?

PXL 20240406 022212732

And just for fun since I had BWO materials out

After looking at the picture of my previous PMX, I noticed a lot of broken tips on the elk hair. I checked the elk hair and it looked fine. After further examination I learned I was breaking the tips in the hair stacker. Time for a new patch of Elk hair. Until then, deer hair

PARACHUTE MADAAM X (PMX)

Hook - size 8 3XL
Thread - Flo orange 140 UTC/black 70 UTC
Tail - Orange deer body hair
Body - Flo orange UTC 140
Wing - Orange deer body hair
Legs - Clear/orange barred
Post - White poly
Hackle - Brown dyed grizzly
Thorax - UV peacock herl
IMG 8665

Gouffre_1080.jpg

Gouffre

Hook - Single salmon
Thread - Black
Body - Silver mylar piping slipped over an underbody of white floss or yarn and secured at the rear with black thread
Wing - White over red over white calf tail
Cheeks - Jungle cock eyes or substitute

Daniel Bradet originated this pattern.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Way to go, @hooker-of-men!

I had no idea that you were catching those lakers while I was down in my basement creating this “fly”, and I only just now saw your posts as I began to post my creation.

Best you stick with your flies, and maybe I’d best untie mine and swallow it before bedtime tonight (without the hook), as my doctor says I should take one of these fish oil pills daily.

(I wonder if I could catch a 12” stockie on it though?) 😊

Image1

I had no idea that you were catching those lakers while I was down in my basement creating this “fly”, and I only just now saw your posts as I began to post my creation.

Best you stick with your flies, and maybe I’d best untie mine and swallow it before bedtime tonight (without the hook), as my doctor says I should take one of these fish oil pills daily.

View attachment 1641235375

I just hope you don't fish that in a DHALO with your kids...

View attachment 1641235375
I can't be the only one wondering this, but is that tie just for fun, or is that thing actually going to get cast to some water to see if a fish will eat it?

I can't be the only one wondering this, but is that tie just for fun, or is that thing actually going to get cast to some water to see if a fish will eat it?

😊
You might be able to get one good float with that thing before the pill dissolved in the water - probably a few more seconds than it takes to dissolve in your stomach - leaving just the hook and a tangled mess of tying thread, and perhaps that ball of SLF Prism Dubbing at the head. YUCK! 🤮

Speaking of SLF Prism Dubbing, I’m a big fan of it, and believe it is much more effective than Ice Dub in most tying applications.

Leaving off that silly fish oil pill, here is an egg fly tied with Burnt Orange SLF Prism Dubbing in a dubbing loop, as an example of a quickly tied egg fly. You could just as easily tie this over a few wraps of lead wire or a tungsten bead for weight. You could also add a tail of white marabou, or even better still tie a tail with some trailing fibers of Pearl SLF Prism Dubbing.

IMG 3885

Last edited:
😊
You might be able to get one good float with that thing before the pill dissolved in the water - probably a few more seconds than it takes to dissolve in your stomach - leaving just the hook and a tangled mess of tying thread, and perhaps that ball of SLF Prism Dubbing at the head. YUCK! 🤮

Speaking of SLF Prism Dubbing, I’m a big fan of it, and believe it is much more effective than Ice Dub in most tying applications.

Leaving off that silly fish oil pill, here is an egg fly tied with Burnt Orange SLF Prism Dubbing in a dubbing loop, as an example of a quickly tied egg fly. You could just as easily tie this over a few wraps of lead wire or a tungsten bead for weight. You could also add a tail of white marabou, or even better still tie a tail with some trailing fibers of Pearl SLF Prism Dubbing.

View attachment 1641235387
Well, I knew it would dissolve, but it might catch a fish, too. I think you need to try it.. That fishy smell might attract the trout.

If you won't fish it, send it to me, and I'll fish it! 😀

Back