What Are You Tying Today?

20240320 212712

First attempt at a sparkle emerger. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

I'm just getting started with my tying for this year, working on some small frog patterns about 2 inches long. I haven't tied a complete fly yet. Just working on the bodies
Hook: Ahrex Predator Swim Bait hook, size 4. I also tie them on size 2 and 2/0
Body: strip of 6 mm craft foam
Legs: Silicone Spinner Bait Skirts(Sili Legs)
Eyes: Fish Skull Living Eyes, 6 or 7 mm
Belly Flash: Micro UV Polar Chenille, color to match body.
Thread: 3/0 or heavier, color to match foam
I'll also give them a coat of thin UV resin to help with floatation.
View attachment 1641228817

I'll post the completed pattern when I get them tied.
If you are interested I make foam frog legs and frog bodies can make them pretty much anysize that you need feel free to PM Me.

IMG 1958
Something different. I’ve been messing with different colors of yarn and found this one that sort of resembles an orange dreamsicle.

Size 12 jig hook
Orange tungsten bead
Orange yarn
Pearl legs
Silver tinsel
Orange UV ice dubbin
UV resin

Wow, some amazing work in these posts!

Just made this one, my home-brew minnow. I’m new tying and fishing. Just wanted to get something green on top and white- belly on bottom.

It is some flashy petite estaz for the body and an olive zonker strip for the top on a SZ 10 2XH / 3XL.

The zonker is only secured with 140D white thread at the front and a whip finish at the rear, so I’m thinking this will fall apart pretty easily - we’ll see.

I’m going to try a few more and no 2 will look alike😀.

Attachments

• E2D9EB01-3DCE-4C26-9842-FB8A2748BF74.jpeg
    E2D9EB01-3DCE-4C26-9842-FB8A2748BF74.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 45
Wow, some amazing work in these posts!

Just made this one, my home-brew minnow. I’m new tying and fishing. Just wanted to get something green on top and white- belly on bottom.

It is some flashy petite estaz for the body and an olive zonker strip for the top on a SZ 10 2XH / 3XL.

The zonker is only secured with 140D white thread at the front and a whip finish at the rear, so I’m thinking this will fall apart pretty easily - we’ll see.

I’m going to try a few more and no 2 will look alike😀.
You can’t go wrong with olive over white. You’ve got the contrast and the movement in that tie. Somebody’s going to eat that one!

You can’t go wrong with olive over white. You’ve got the contrast and the movement in that tie. Somebody’s going to eat that one!

Thanks - hope it catches something other than a branch😀. My flies are good at that with me behind the wheel.

Tied some more: I “reversed” the natural direction of the zonker strip thinking it might provide a fuller top body. I put the fly in some water and don’t think it makes a difference in the body shape. Never know in moving water though. I like the idea of reverse hackles used in tenkara kebari / flies for some reason. Maybe more pulsing??

Tied a couple more with peacock herl as the body loosely inspired by one of the flies posted by nfrechet’s posting of an Alexandra (peacock sword - wet - really nice).

Again - probably not real durable - don’t know yet but guessing not.

The body slims down nicely when wet. I left the quill ends out back to give some support.

Attachments

• B8A953A6-0E8F-43F0-A71C-6399E09AC864.jpeg
    B8A953A6-0E8F-43F0-A71C-6399E09AC864.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 31
Size 14 - Leadwing Coachman

View attachment 1641234960

I got to wondering if a CDC wing would have a bit more motion in the water? 💦. Of course you loose some of the prominent wing feature, which might be one of the trigger points.

I really like the slightly oversized partridge hackle on your fly, which I believe closely imitates the legs on the caddis underwater as it begins to emerge.
Image0

I got to wondering if a CDC wing would have a bit more motion in the water? 💦. Of course you loose some of the prominent wing feature, which might be one of the trigger points.

I really like the slightly oversized partridge hackle on your fly, which I believe closely imitates the legs on the caddis underwater as it begins to emerge.
View attachment 1641234978
Beautiful!
I prefer CDC to almost any tying material as it adds that buggy look.

View attachment 1641234978
I like the cdc look, John. I feel it definitely would provide for more movement. Nice tie!

Tried some CDC on a beaded hook.

Made this with 1 whole olive CDC feather, some gold Ulra Wire (med), and red 6/0 UNI-thread.

Was trying to come up with a way to use the whole feather instead of cutting a bunch away and just using it as a collar / thorax.

Think I’m going to do a few more, but tie in the CDC at the middle instead of the start of the bend.

Attachments

• 3D195338-7D7D-4745-A615-5C602CA2F338.jpeg
    3D195338-7D7D-4745-A615-5C602CA2F338.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 27
Back