What Are You Tying Today?

It’s been awhile since I’ve spun some deer hair. Size 4 - Galloup’s Zoo Cougar.

IMG 9326

An olive variant of Mike’s fuzzy niblet on a size 6 Gamakatsu Bonefish hook. This is a Mike Schmidt pattern that is a very productive carp fly, particularly for ultra spooky fish. The original pattern is more of a tan color and uses tan ice dub in front of the bead chain eyes. A number of years ago we had a carp fly swap here on PAFF. One of the tyers tied this pattern for the swap and that’s how I learned about it. I liked it and tied up a few more of them and the carp just flat out ate ‘em! I left every one of them I had in box hanging in the mouth of a carp that summer. For some reason I never tied anymore of them and kind of forgot about the pattern over the years. I recently bumped into an old video of Tom Rosenbaugh and Tim Flagler tying it in one of their tie offs and it jogged my memory about the fly. I’ll have a few of them in my carp box for sure next Carpin’ season.

IMG 9341

Wow, Murph !!
Something for me to aspire to.
Eye color variety, to boot!!
I probably buy two or three packs of eyes every time I visit a shop . I have a real problem straying from a Clouser pattern . 😀

Murph...

IF U MUST CHOOSE, ONLY ONE ,of those eye color combos to fish for the rest of your days....which would it b?
ThankU!
I fish places that get hardly any pressure so any color works .

It’s Hungarian partridge. It’s definitely long for the 14 hook but I’ve been leaning a bit more toward the longer hackle side lately and I’m really liking it.
Beautiful! Did you strip one side before tying it in?

Back