What Are You Tying Today?

Korn‘s worm size 12
IMG 1073

Thanks for posting that, and it looks very good.

Doug Korn is a guy that I haven’t heard from in quite a long time. I never met him, but I exchanged messages with him on another fly fishing forum that he and I belonged to and had hoped to meet up with him back when he was involved with Park’s Fly shop in Gardiner and I was staying a few mikes down the road in Paradise Valley.

Here’s a detailed post he made on FAOL on how he tied his worm at that time:

Reactions: JLB
Skip Nymph 1080.JPG

Skip Nymph Regular

Skip Morris

Hook -Any regular-shank, 1X or 2X long, heavy wire nymph hook sizes 8 - 20
Weight - Copper or lead wire
Thread - Black or brown
Ribbing - Small copper wire
Abdomen And Thorax - Fur from a natural hare’s mask
Tails And Wing Case - Pheasant-tail fibers

Skip Nymph Dark 1080.JPG

Skip Nymph Dark

Hook - Any regular-shank, 1X or 2X long, heavy wire nymph hook sizes 8 - 20
Weight - Copper or lead wire
Thread - Black or brown
Ribbing - Small copper wire
Abdomen And Thorax - Fur from a dyed brown hare’s mask
Tails And Wing Case - Pheasant-tail fibers

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple: An Easy-to-Follow All-Color Guide - Skip Morris

Kemp-Bug-1080.jpg

Kemp Bug

Hook - Mustad 3906B, size 6-12
Thread - Black
Tail - Three or four strands of peacock herl (cut short and stubby, barely past bend)
Body - Peacock herl
Hackle - Furnace as a wet fly collar
Wing - Grizzly hackle tips tied flat and slightly splayed (delta style), angling backward for half shank length

Originated by Roy Donnelly

The Book of Fly Patterns: Over 1,000 Patterns for the Construction of Artificial Flies - Eric Leiser

Thinking the smallies will like them .
Cactus Bugger View attachment 1641233250View attachment 1641233251
Hey Lil' Bro,

When you moved to Colorado in 1997 you left a couple of them with me. They were tied with the old Universal aluminum dumbbell eyes. The were heavy enough to get the hook barb to ride right side up.

I ran though the ones you left, they were like tube jigs for smallies, but I found another pack of the dumbbell eyes and tied some of my own.

But now I only have 2 left, one purple and one olive. I have plenty of Estaz and marabou left so guess I'll have to tie them with little bitty lead eyes?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Hey Lil' Bro,

When you moved to Colorado in 1997 you left a couple of them with me. They were tied with the old Universal aluminum dumbbell eyes. The were heavy enough to get the hook barb to ride right side up.

I ran though the ones you left, they were like tube jigs for smallies, but I found another pack of the dumbbell eyes and tied some of my own.

But now I only have 2 left, one purple and one olive. I have plenty of Estaz and marabou left so guess I'll have to tie them with little bitty lead eyes?

Regards,

Tim
These are a little different than Clouser’s old pattern .

Attachments

• 1001B5B3-A107-45D2-8762-879272DCDA93.png
    1001B5B3-A107-45D2-8762-879272DCDA93.png
    243.5 KB · Views: 19
I left my last go to golden stone in a tree yesterday (on my first cast, lol), so I freestyled some up today. I used some twisted up golden yellow nymph skin for the abdomens (which ended up looking closer to brown), a technique I’ve used for caddis/grubs. I like it for these too as it resembles tubing, though it’s less regular than tubing. I also don’t think trout count legs, but might be wrong

Guide's Choice Hare's Ear 1080.JPG

Guide's Choice Hare's Ear

Hook - Jig style or your choice
Bead - Gold slotted tungsten
Thread - Hot orange
Tail - Hare's mask guard hairs
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Abdomen - Haree's ear dubbing
Wing case - Pearl tinsel
Thorax - Peacock herl
Hackle - Partridge

Guide's Choice Hare's Ear 1080.JPG's Choice Hare's Ear 1080.JPG

Guide's Choice Hare's Ear

Hook - Jig style or your choice
Bead - Gold slotted tungsten
Thread - Hot orange
Tail - Hare's mask guard hairs
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Abdomen - Haree's ear dubbing
Wing case - Pearl tinsel
Thorax - Peacock herl
Hackle - Partridge
What makes a fly get the name “guides choice”?

beats me

chad olson created it and named it

he would have to tell you about its naming

Have no idea about the name, but it sure is a very good producer!

I used some twisted up golden yellow nymph skin...
Nice flies, but I just can't resist...
How does one skin a golden yellow nymph? X-Acto knife? Tiny scalpel? Does one need to tan the hides, or just salt them really well? Okay, I'll stop now that's out of my system... Carry on. :D
(Seriously though, my boys tie nymphs and would like to purchase some of this material if you can tell me where to find it. Thanks.)

What makes a fly get the name “guides choice”?
Guide flies are quick, easy ties that are highly successful. They are flies fishing guides can tie up quickly at night before a job the next morning.

Nice flies, but I just can't resist...
How does one skin a golden yellow nymph? X-Acto knife? Tiny scalpel? Does one need to tan the hides, or just salt them really well? Okay, I'll stop now that's out of my system... Carry on. :D
(Seriously though, my boys tie nymphs and would like to purchase some of this material if you can tell me where to find it. Thanks.)
You skin a golden yellow nymph very carefully ;)

But seriously folks. I have 2 kinds of nymph skin/scud shellback in my collection. Kiley's Nymph Skin is just strips of latex. I think the green and cream ones are great for caddis. It's a little thick for twisting up if you want to make a sleek fly, but works great for chunky caddis stuff. The other is Orvis Scud Shellback, which is much thinner and what I used on those stones. It's also somewhat translucent and comes in lots of colors. Google either and they should turn up. I managed to find my stuff at my local shop FWIW.

A variant of the Wooly Bomber fly, which originated as a variant of the Wooly Bugger. (So much can be done with the overall concept of that pattern!)

Tied on a size 6 Gamakatsu B10S hook. Tied Clouser style with small red dumbell eyes and 12 wraps of .015 lead wire to get the pattern down deep despite all of the accessories. Bunny strip tail, dark brown SLF spikey squirrel dubbing for the body and head (split thread and/or dubbing loop), palmered black saddle hackle and barred pumpkin sili legs for yet one more element of
movement. Something to drift or dredge through some deep holes this winter, if I get the chance. Hopin’ to get the chance!

IMG 9323

Back