Hook - Standard dry fly style
Thread - Yellow
Body - Yellow bucktail or yellow elk hair
Wing - Deer hair
Legs - Red biot or goose quill

Reference - Western Trout Fly Tying Manual - Volume II - Jack Dennis

dennisl wrote:
Classic.

Oh and I picked up one of those profile plates. Makes for easier tying and better photos!

Brown & white caddis was hot on the green last week.

Colorado-King-Brown-1080.jpg

Colorado King, Brown

Hook - Mustad R50
Thread - Brown
Tail - Two dark moose body hairs or moose mane, tied split
Hackle - Brown tied palmer-style over the body
Body - Dubbed with brown synthetic fur
Wing - Dark elk hair tied over the body

Colorado-King-Dark-1080.jpg

Colorado King, Dark

Hook - Mustad R50
Thread: Black
Hackle - Grizzly tied palmer-style over the body
Body - Dubbed with muskrat fur

Colorado-King-Female-1080.jpg

Colorado King, Female

Hook - Mustad R50
Thread: Black
Egg sac – Yellow dubbing
Body - Dubbed with muskrat fur

Colorado-King-Light-1080.jpg

Colorado King, Light

Hook - Mustad R50
Thread - Gray or black
Body - Dubbed with yellow synthetic fur
Wing - Light elk hair tied over the body

Tie these in different colors to represent the caddis and stoneflies in your area

If you feel the need to reinforce the hackle with wire, then do so on your flies

Designed in 1971 by George Bodmer of Colorado Springs, Colorado

Reference

Western Trout Fly Tying Manual - Volume II - Jack Dennis
Fish Flies - Volume One - Terry Hellekson

Sparkle Caddis Pupa

Tied a bunch in sizes 12/14/16. Will give them a try on the West Branch this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_6290.jpg
    IMG_6290.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 2
Clergyman-1080.jpg

Clergyman

Category - Salmon

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H
Thread - White under body, black head
Tag - Oval silver tinsel
Tail - Amherst pheasant tippets
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - White floss, yarn, uni stretch
Throat - White hackle fibers
Wing - White calf tail

Couple Isonychia nymph patterns

Attachments

• IMG_6328.jpg
    IMG_6328.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6329.jpg
    IMG_6329.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6330.jpg
    IMG_6330.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6332.jpg
    IMG_6332.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 2
Very nice looking ISO's. I do make mine with darker legs than the last picture.

I need more ISO's in my fly box...that's one fly I keep saying I need to fish more. What do you use for the white stripe? I noticed some white materials tend to almost disappear when they get wet.

Big John, I've used white dental floss for the stripe. It holds up well. Lou By the way, my dentist is not a fisherman so he probably would not understand!

bigjohn58 wrote:
I noticed some white materials tend to almost disappear when they get wet.

Yep - me too.

I'm still experimenting with stripe materials (I like my flies fairly realistic and realize that the presence of such a strip likely has no affect on fish catching).

For fairly large nymphs, say those with a body length of about 3/4 of an inch, white Ultra Wire works fairly well.

bigjohn58 wrote:
I need more ISO's in my fly box...that's one fly I keep saying I need to fish more. What do you use for the white stripe? I noticed some white materials tend to almost disappear when they get wet.

I used the stems from some old feathers I had around. Haven't fished these patterns yet so not sure what will happen once the flies are wet.

dennisl wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

I used the stems from some old feathers I had around. Haven't fished these patterns yet so not sure what will happen once the flies are wet.

A stripped hackle stem works fine. It's tapered so use the section with the proper diameter.

As DaveW wrote above, the stripe is probably more important to the fisherman rather than the fish. Many to the actual bugs don't have a prominent stripe along its back, but I like tying it in because it looks cool.

More important is to tie the fly with legs and a tail that move in the water and use soft materials along the body to imitate their prominent gills.

Iso's are good swimmers and movement in your fly is very important. A fly with a sexy stripe along its back that looks like a stick in the water is not nearly as effective as a fly the undulates like the real thing, IMO > see video and pic below.

Attachments

• Isonychia Nymph.jpg
    Isonychia Nymph.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 3
Agree^

Also, note the ISO nymph's shape in afish's pic: these bugs are narrow on the front end (head and thorax) without the wide wing case; the abdomen is flat and wider, especially so due to the prominent gills.

ISO nymphs are neat critters.

afishinado wrote:
dennisl wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

A stripped hackle stem works fine. It's tapered so use the section with the proper diameter.

As DaveW wrote above, the stripe is probably more important to the fisherman rather than the fish. Many to the actual bugs don't have a prominent stripe along its back, but I like tying it in because it looks cool.

More important is to tie the fly with legs and a tail that move in the water and use soft materials along the body to imitate their prominent gills.

Iso's are good swimmers and movement in your fly is very important. A fly with a sexy stripe along its back that looks like a stick in the water is not nearly as effective as a fly the undulates like the real thing, IMO > see video and pic below.

I fished ISOs a years ago with some success. I often tied them on a scud hook because the ones I tend to find have that shape especially when swimming.

20200719-203552.jpg

game changer variant (6 articulations), first time tying this one. Was planning to target musky/pike w/ it in nw pa this fall.

Marabou-Muddler-1080.jpg

Marabou Muddler

Category - Streamer

Hook - Streamer style
Thread - Black
Tail - Red Marabou
Body - Bill's body braid - gold
Wing - Yellow marabou and peacock herls
Head - Deer hair, spun and trimmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back