>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is exactly what I do. Wrap the hackle behind and in front of the CDC and then finish off with a little more dubbing and whip finish.

Ty.

Adams-Comparadun-1080.jpg

Adams-Comparadun-Front-1080.jpg

Adams Comparadun

Hook - Standard dry fly
Thread - Black
Tail - Brown and grizzly
Body - Gray dubbing
Hackle - Brown and grizzly

Comparadun technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FchhK9QRfo

Tups_Indispensible_1080.jpg

Tup's Indispensable

Hook - Standard dry fly

Thread -Yellow.
Tails - Blue dun, Honey Dun, Brassy Dun, Ginger (depicted)
Tip – Yellow thread
* Body - A dubbing mixture with a very faint light red color consisting of wool from the scrotum of a ram, crème-colored unborn seal’s fur and the same dyed red as well as yellow and a little wool from a lemon-colored Cocker Spaniel
Hackle - Blue dun, Honey Dun, Brassy Dun, Ginger (depicted)

* Obviously, the body dubbing mentioned above wasn’t used to tie this fly. I merely hand mixed red, cream, burnt orange wool with a little yellow rabbit fur to achieve the pinkish colored dubbing.

The urine stained wool from the scrotum of a ram was definitely not used. What in the hell was the originator thinking when he blended those materials?

tups_furs.jpg

"What in the hell was the originator thinking when he blended those materials?"

My guess: Back in the day when flies like Tupps were created, there was a fetish fir esoteric materials. It seems to give the patterns a bit of magic (eye of newt, etc.). I'm surprised hair from the around a unicorn's anus wasn't used.

Perhaps more importantly, how does one get the ram to stand still while harvesting this wool from his scrotum ? ? ?

Well.....if you don't have the unborn seal fur.....the trout are picky enough to notice any substitution. Yes. That's 100% spot on true.

Beadhead-Prince-Nymph-1080.jpg

Beadhead Prince Nymph

Perhaps more importantly, how does one get the ram to stand still while harvesting this wool from his scrotum ? ? ?.

Buy him dinner first? :lol:

Adams-Irresistible-1080.jpg

Adams Irresistible

Hook - Dry fly style

Thread - Black

Tail - Moose body hair

Body - Deer hair, trimmed

Wings - Grizzly hen hackle tips

Hackle - Brown and grizzly, mixed

#18 Hard Body Wet-Ant.. (Can’t post pics, but trying something different to see if it works)

https://imgflip.com/i/469eyz

Rat-Faced-Mc-Dougal-1080.jpg

Rat Faced McDougal

Hook - Standard dry fly style
Thread - Tan or black
Tail - Ginger hackle fibers
Body - Deer hair
Wing - Grizzly hen hackle tips (there is also a version with a wing of white calf tail)
Hackle - Ginger

Fly of the day, Green Caddis size 18. I have been killing em on a Tan Caddis for a few weeks now so thought I would try a green also.

Tight Lines !!

Attachments

• Green Caddis.jpeg
    Green Caddis.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 2
Grasshopper/Attractor - size 12
Yellow 8 Thread
Red Tail
Yellow Body
Brown Hackle
Teal Flank Wing
Elk Hair

Attachments

• Hopper.jpeg
    Hopper.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 3
Something for saltwater in a month or so. 4" long

8TTxD4ll.jpg

Classic.

Oh and I picked up one of those profile plates. Makes for easier tying and better photos!

Attachments

• IMG_6275.jpg
    IMG_6275.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 2
Micro hoppers....

The shoreline vegetation along many valley streams are loaded with small hoppers and crickets this time of year. Most of these lil bugs are around a half inch in length so many PA FFers are using hopper/cricket flies that are too large to match most of the naturals.

Attachments

• kl76.JPG
    kl76.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 3
Dave-

I agree. Some of the best trout I have caught out of Falling Springs and Mossy Creek in Virginia over the years were on small hoppers. I'm still sitting on a bunch of large Whitlock Hoppers that just collect dust. Even though they look great, they just don't produce for me. If you get a chance, take a look at the pattern below. It's very easy to tie and is a producer on spring creeks. For mountain trout, I add in a tag of hot orange or hot pink before tying off- EP Sculpt-A-Fly Fibers work great for that since that stuff can float all day unlike poly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rkGxFwXA4&feature=emb_title

Black-Martinez-1080.jpg

Black Martinez

Hook - Mustad 3906B
Thread - Black
Tail - Guinea hen fibers
Ribbing - Copper wire
Body - Black dubbing (original was black seal fur)
Wingcase – Insect green swiss straw or equivalent
Thorax - Black chenille
Hackle - Hungarian partridge

Hot-Spot-Pheasant-Tail-1080.jpg

Olive Pheasant Tail Nymph with Hot Spot

Hook - Wet/nymph style
Thread - Your favorite color
Tail - Olive pheasant tail
Ribbing - Copper wire
Body - Olive pheasant tail
Hot spot - Hot orange glo brite strands
Wing case - Olive pheasant tail
Thorax - Peacock herl

Wild_Trouter wrote:
If you get a chance, take a look at the pattern below. It's very easy to tie and is a producer on spring creeks. For mountain trout, I add in a tag of hot orange or hot pink before tying off- EP Sculpt-A-Fly Fibers work great for that since that stuff can float all day unlike poly.

Neat. That's a nice pattern.
(So many really outstanding fly tying stuff on Youtube.)

I like foam and synthetic materials for many of my terrestrials.
Here's a batch of tiny crickets...

Attachments

• M63.JPG
    M63.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back