peacock herl
uv resin

reference - internet

Qul6TC0.jpg

bob church's appetizer

lure (fry pattern)

hook - long nymph/streamer style
thread - white then finish with black
tail - green and orange hackle fibers mixed and topped with mallard flank fibers
ribbing - oval silver tinsel
body - white chenille
throat - same as tail materials
wing - white marabou, pearl krystal flash and gray squirrel hair

Almost all of my streamers are tied to swim hook-upward these days and a fair number of my nymphs and "junk flies" are tied this way as well. Curved hooks are your friend if you're seeking to tie nymphs like this. In this case, you can see one of my generic nymphs: under the body, at the lowest section of the hook shank curve, are several turns of lead. Combined with the bead head, this makes for a heavy nymph that gets down fast and tends to drift hook upward, thus minimizing snags.

Attachments

• Sn9.JPG
    Sn9.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 2
PbJDljW.jpg

JOGryta.jpg

Little Brook Trout Bucktail

As per Bates
Hook: size: 2-12, 6x long
Head: Black
Tail: A very small bunch of bright green bucktail, under or over which is a section cut from bright red floss, both slightly longer then the gap of the hook.
Body: Wound with cream colored spun fur
Ribbing: Narrow flat silver tinsel
Throat: A small bunch of bright orange bucktail, the same length as the tail.
Wing: Of four very small separated bunches of hair, extending slightly beyond the tail. A very small bunch of white bucktail over which is a very small bunch of bright orange bucktail, slightly blended. Over this is a very small bunch of bright green bucktail, topped with a very small bunch of barred badger hair
Cheeks: Jungle Cock

6TmIa7S.jpg

Little Brown Trout Bucktail

As per Bates, with a slight alteration*

Tail: A very small breast feather, with the dark center removed, from a ring neck pheasant. The feather is as long as the gap of the hook and curves upward.
Body: Wound with white spun wool
Ribbing: Copper wire (narrow flat gold tinsel may be substituted, *I used medium oval copper tinsel)
Throat: None
Wing: Of four very small separated bunches of hair, extending slightly beyond the tail. A very small bunch of yellow bucktail over which is a very small bunch of reddish-orange bucktail, slightly blended. Over this is a very small bunch of medium dark squirrel tail, topped and slightly blended with a very small bunch of dark brown squirrel tail.

C7PqXIx.jpg

Little Rainbow Trout Bucktail

As per Bates

Tail: A very small bunch of bright green bucktail, slightly longer then the gap of the hook.
Body: Wound with pinkish-white fur
Ribbing: Narrow flat silver tinsel
Throat: A small bunch of pink bucktail, the same length as the tail.
Wing: Of four very small separated bunches of hair, extending slightly beyond the tail. A very small bunch of white bucktail over which is a very small bunch of pink bucktail, slightly blended. Over this is a very small bunch of bright green bucktail, topped with a very small bunch of natural badger hair

Reference - Samuel R Slaymaker II in Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing - Joseph D Bates

bicolor nymph

82j0Uq6.jpg

isonychia nymph

z8lZZNI.jpg

reference - preston jennings - forgotten flies

dark cahill

D3J03DR.jpg

light cahill

IoCYWSz.jpg

reference - the classic wet fly box - mike valla

Bass streamers to replace the ones I lost last week. . .

Attachments

• CM89.JPG
    CM89.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 1
I dig those streamers Dave! Never thought to tie on a downturned (up after dumbbells) eye hook. Is that bucktail for the back and tail?

1manwolfpack wrote:
I dig those streamers Dave! Never thought to tie on a downturned (up after dumbbells) eye hook. Is that bucktail for the back and tail?

Thanks.
Clouser Minnows are traditionally tied on straight eye hooks, but I think turned down eye streamer hooks actually work better. I even bend 'em just a bit before tying the dumbell weights on. This effect, when the fly is finished, puts the eye well above the weight, more like a jig-head and thus more effective at keeping the fly swimming hook upward.

The back of these flies are sculpin wool and the forward sections are bucktail.

quill gordon

8yJPtzR.jpg

dark hendrickson

y6qmUVZ.jpg

reference - the classic wet fly box - mike valla

madam x

hxxYyYD.jpg

Royal Soft Hackle

ZZBylNv.jpg

Beautiful fly nfrechet. Last year I ran out of prince nymphs and was searching my box for something similar. I was pleasantly surprised that the "Royal" family looks amazingly similar, especially when white wings are added.

Not my fly but one from the net to show similarities

Attachments

• prince resize.jpg
    prince resize.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1
Royal coachman

Attachments

• coachman_50_1_50.jpg
    coachman_50_1_50.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1
Shad Flies

Connecticut River Shad Fly